The Student Room Group

Physics help - please, won't take long x

Hi everyone! Slightly confused with a physics question as I don't know how to draw a digram...

A 4N stone is in equilibrium on three strings tied at the same point.

Strinf one pulls left and down, at 60 degrees to the horizontal and with a 8N force.
String two pulls right horizontally, with a 6N force.
Another string pulls mostly upwards.

The question is finding the tension in the last string, but I think I can do that if I can draw the diagram.

I've draw the weight, string one and string two, but can't figure out how to draw the 'another string pulls mostly upwards?'

Does this mean directly up? If not, how do you tell what way it pulls?

Thanks so much for any help:smile:
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
Hi everyone! Slightly confused with a physics question as I don't know how to draw a digram...

A 4N stone is in equilibrium on three strings tied at the same point.

Strinf one pulls left and down, at 60 degrees to the horizontal and with a 8N force.
String two pulls right horizontally, with a 6N force.
Another string pulls mostly upwards.

The question is finding the tension in the last string, but I think I can do that if I can draw the diagram.

I've draw the weight, string one and string two, but can't figure out how to draw the 'another string pulls mostly upwards?'

Does this mean directly up? If not, how do you tell what way it pulls?

Thanks so much for any help:smile:

Resolve forces vertically and horizontally. Then workout the tension and angle of the remaining string.
(edited 5 years ago)
So that you can check your answer, the tension is in the 10-11N range at an angle of 5-10 degrees to the vertical (up and to the left).

Please post your working if you have any issues, or I'm wrong :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
So that you can check your answer, the tension is in the 10-11N range at an angle of 5-10 degrees to the vertical (up and to the left).

Thanks so much! All good now and I've got it, feel like resolving vectors has finally clicked:smile:

Thank you x
Original post by RogerOxon

I think the force range that I quoted was the vertical component.

Glad that you understand it now.

Quick Reply

Latest