The Student Room Group

personal statement help

quick question, i want to do physics in uni and the subject ive picked are physics maths and history. Should i explain my interest for history and why i chose it?
You can, but what I would do is to try and link physics and history somehow. I don't know how but it definitely helps show your interest in physics and that way your not really going off topic.
Have you started your personal statement yet?
you could also relate it to physics? e.g. history of the atom/development of models over time or something?
Reply 3
Original post by Mariya 21
You can, but what I would do is to try and link physics and history somehow. I don't know how but it definitely helps show your interest in physics and that way your not really going off topic.
Have you started your personal statement yet?

Yes ive done like 90% of it, just need to put what my subjects are like how it helps n shiet
Reply 4
Original post by shohaib712
you could also relate it to physics? e.g. history of the atom/development of models over time or something?

eeehhh, ngl i like more of the german constitution side and margret thatcher etc
Original post by ibyghee
quick question, i want to do physics in uni and the subject ive picked are physics maths and history. Should i explain my interest for history and why i chose it?

what exam board are you doing? tying in with what others are saying you couldlook at the AQA turning points in physics modules for some extra-learning/stuff to put in personal statement. That being said you don't really have to mention it at all if you don't want to physics and maths is usually all that's needed
Reply 6
Original post by isiaiah d
what exam board are you doing? tying in with what others are saying you couldlook at the AQA turning points in physics modules for some extra-learning/stuff to put in personal statement. That being said you don't really have to mention it at all if you don't want to physics and maths is usually all that's needed

Im doing aqa physics i think
Original post by ibyghee
Im doing aqa physics i think

next year you pick an optional module (usually your school picks for you) but if it's something you're interrested in you can use it to start off your initial learning i.e. use the resources available for it to learn about the links. Putting this in your ps will be fine as most people don't study the option till later on anyway. I did a similar thing with engineering physics and it worked out fine.

That is if you want to include those links I don't know how relevant they will be to the courses you're applying for
Reply 8
Original post by isiaiah d
next year you pick an optional module (usually your school picks for you) but if it's something you're interrested in you can use it to start off your initial learning i.e. use the resources available for it to learn about the links. Putting this in your ps will be fine as most people don't study the option till later on anyway. I did a similar thing with engineering physics and it worked out fine.

That is if you want to include those links I don't know how relevant they will be to the courses you're applying for

next year? as in next year college since in in year 2. Or next year literally?
Original post by ibyghee
next year? as in next year college since in in year 2. Or next year literally?

A2 year/year 2
you can't realistically link History with Physics. remember the academics who read your personal statement are REAL PEOPLE and they will pee themselves laughing if you do something like that if you don't do it well.

the best thing to do is explain how the skills you learnt in History will help your degree, and how the skills you learnt in physics will help you degree.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending