The Student Room Group

4th year LLB student - vac scheme or TC?

I'm wondering whether it would be best for me to apply for vac schemes or training contracts this year. I am in my final year of a four year integrated master's course. I applied for vac schemes last year, got one AC but was unsuccessful. I have a week of work experience in a high street law firm (but this was in 2012). I have also been to a few open days. I have lots of non-legal work experience however and experience as a committee member of a society at university.

I know I should have got some sort of work experience this summer but I needed to earn money from my summer job and I live very far away from London so applying to boutique firms for work experience was out of the question really.

Basically because this is my year abroad and I'm completing a master's degree in German law, I won't be finishing until mid-July therefore I won't be able to apply for a lot of vac schemes that happen before that. My only concern with applying for direct TCs is that I don't have enough legal work experience because I didn't do a vac scheme. I know I want to work in a commercial law firm but I'm worried I'll get immediately rejected because of my lack of legal work experience. Should I apply now for 2021 TCs? Or do as many as I can for vac schemes that would take place after I've finished my year abroad? Or do a bit of both?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _phoebe
I'm wondering whether it would be best for me to apply for vac schemes or training contracts this year. I am in my final year of a four year integrated master's course. I applied for vac schemes last year, got one AC but was unsuccessful. I have a week of work experience in a high street law firm (but this was in 2012). I have also been to a few open days. I have lots of non-legal work experience however and experience as a committee member of a society at university.

I know I should have got some sort of work experience this summer but I needed to earn money from my summer job and I live very far away from London so applying to boutique firms for work experience was out of the question really.

Basically because this is my year abroad and I'm completing a master's degree in German law, I won't be finishing until mid-July therefore I won't be able to apply for a lot of vac schemes that happen before that. My only concern with applying for direct TCs is that I don't have enough legal work experience because I didn't do a vac scheme. I know I want to work in a commercial law firm but I'm worried I'll get immediately rejected because of my lack of legal work experience. Should I apply now for 2021 TCs? Or do as many as I can for vac schemes that would take place after I've finished my year abroad? Or do a bit of both?

Building up legal work experience is worthwhile to do if you want to secure a Training Co tract especially since competitions are fierce.

But Vacation schemes arent the only way to get legal work experience however.

I think it would be ideal to apply for 2021 TC (which I'll be doing) and in the mean time try to secure legal vacs. But a sure way of getting experience is to volunteer at your citizen advice as an adviser as that too counts as legal work experience.

The applcation process is less stringent than a vac scheme, you just need to commit at least 1 full day a week or 2 half days.

Other than citizen advice, you coud look into marhsalling at your local court or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending