The Student Room Group

Does the "You break it, you buy it" policy still apply if it was an accident?

I know most shops have a "You break it, you buy it" policy, but would this policy still apply if it was a genuine accident?

For instance, if someone was in an antique shop and accidentally bumped into a shelf, which knocked an expensive ornament onto the floor and it smashed, would the owner still make that person pay for it even though it wasn't done deliberately?
I guess it depends on the shop owner. It probably still does though, especially if the ornament is expensive
(edited 5 years ago)
I would say yes, the majority of breakages in these shops will be accidents anyway. Nobody goes into an Antique shop with the aim of smashing everything up.
Yes but you only have to put the shop into the position it was in before the breakage. Hence, you only pay the wholesale price of the item, not the retail price.
I'm not sure how many people go into a shop and break ornaments on purpose... Anyway, it probably really depends on the circumstances and how nice the shop owner is feeling.
Original post by 214124
I know most shops have a "You break it, you buy it" policy, but would this policy still apply if it was a genuine accident?

For instance, if someone was in an antique shop and accidentally bumped into a shelf, which knocked an expensive ornament onto the floor and it smashed, would the owner still make that person pay for it even though it wasn't done deliberately?

From a practical point of view, I'd recommend not going into an expensive antiques shop if you're prone to clumsiness.
Why would it not be an accident? Do people go around shops breaking things on purpose?

And yes, it does apply
Reply 7
i broke something once in a gift shop. they didn't make me pay for it and i doubt most stores would. an antique shop is different tho because now you're talking about rare and probably one-of-a-kind pieces so fhey'd be pretty PO'd if you broke something. you can't exactly replace it.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
From a practical point of view, I'd recommend not going into an expensive antiques shop if you're prone to clumsiness.

I am not prone to clumsiness. This was not from my own incident. I have just heard of this policy and I wondered about it.

Quick Reply

Latest