The Student Room Group

What subject should I drop? (Physics or Biology)

Hello,
I have recently started my A-Levels and since I was unsure of what to take in the beginning I took 4: Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Biology.
I was certain that I wanted to take Maths and Computer Science since I have a passion for them both but wasn't sure between physics or biology.
I find that I enjoy biology more and I did better at biology in my GCSE than I did in physics (I got a 6 in physics and a 7 in biology along with a 7 in Maths though our school handled physics really badly so that may have been part of the issue) so I couldn't decide. I am interested in doing either something computer or engineering related in the future as I like that sort of thing and don't want to go into a field like medicine but I enjoy biology a lot more than physics itself.

I was enjoying physics in the beginning but am struggling to get my head around some of the stuff (I'm not sure if all colleges handle it the same way but I'm currently on HFS 1-8) and I'm enjoying biology but not doing too great on things like the exam techniques as I'm losing a lot of marks over small issues like missing a certain word needed... does this get better over time and you become used to the exam technique?

I'm not smart enough to take 4 and I get stressed way too easily, also my college has also recommended me against doing 4 so I should drop one soon. The problem is I don't want to drop physics just because the current topic may just not be for me and I may enjoy other topics way more. Also, it may be useful in my future... will I still be able to take subjects like engineering in universities without physics if I want to take that path because I've heard from some people that universities mostly just look into the letters like AAA and an A in biology would be better than a B in physics... I'm really stressing about this as I know if I make a poorly thought out decision I will regret it for years to come... does anyone have any advice they can lend? Sorry, this was so long.

Thanks
I think that you should call up admissions tutors or send them an email and ask.

Also, what is HFS?
Reply 2
Original post by _Mia101
I think that you should call up admissions tutors or send them an email and ask.

Also, what is HFS?

Ah ok, so it's not all done the same. I don't know if colleges learn in the same order but we are doing things like newtons laws and moments of a force and other similar things (to say I'm not a big fan of it would be an understatement) And last time they asked they kinda said it was my own choice but it didn't really help too much because I'm not good with decisions to let alone the fact that I can't even make a choice.
Thanks
Original post by Zamblot
Ah ok, so it's not all done the same. I don't know if colleges learn in the same order but we are doing things like newtons laws and moments of a force and other similar things (to say I'm not a big fan of it would be an understatement) And last time they asked they kinda said it was my own choice but it didn't really help too much because I'm not good with decisions to let alone the fact that I can't even make a choice.
Thanks

No problem, I'm in the same boat. I can't make a decision on whether to pick GCSE history or geography *Sigh*.
Original post by _Mia101
No problem, I'm in the same boat. I can't make a decision on whether to pick GCSE history or geography *Sigh*.

Ah well good luck with that
Original post by ImaginativeName
Ah well good luck with that

Yeah..

Quick Reply

Latest