The Student Room Group

Foreign languages are the most boring subjects

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackudy3
Essentially what you've conceded here is that foreign languages are boring until they're mixed with another subject such as history, whereupon they become more interesting.

No I'm not really saying that. I do two languages at degree level and I much prefer the language learning side over the culture stuff as once you go a bit deeper language wise you really do start to learn about and understand so many different things (not to mention the experiences you gain from learning them, the friends you can make from around the world and the proven cognitive benefits). However so many people think learning languages is simply just memorising a load of vocab when it isn't (although unfortunately at GCSE it pretty much is). It can be hard to motivate people to carry on taking languages post GCSE level due to reasons above so mentioning the more ''interesting'' aspects of it will hopefully encourage people.
Reply 21
Original post by lucieol
No I'm not really saying that. I do two languages at degree level and I much prefer the language learning side over the culture stuff as once you go a bit deeper language wise you really do start to learn about and understand so many different things (not to mention the experiences you gain from learning them, the friends you can make from around the world and the proven cognitive benefits). However so many people think learning languages is simply just memorising a load of vocab when it isn't (although unfortunately at GCSE it pretty much is). It can be hard to motivate people to carry on taking languages post GCSE level due to reasons above so mentioning the more ''interesting'' aspects of it will hopefully encourage people.

What exactly changes between GCSE, A-level and uni?

I can't imagine it being anything but rote memorisation with perhaps a different amount of history sprinkled on top.
Languages might not be everyones cup of tea but they are useful.
Original post by Jackudy3
What exactly changes between GCSE, A-level and uni?

I can't imagine it being anything but rote memorisation with perhaps a different amount of history sprinkled on top.

Well at A-Level (which I did German to), you do learn a more cultural aspect, which is interesting BUT for me learning languages (esp German) is for me anyway. But you do talk about far more interesting topics as well.

Think of it like this ,at GCSE science you are actually taught 'bad' science essentially. Same with Languages - you get taught what you need to pass the exam. This is why I find learning a language (for me German) outside of a testing environment is better.

Also, I've made a great friend of being able to speak German, which I would have never had otherwise. and On a less serious side, I did pull a german girl once (in german). If we hadnt had an initial interaction in German, we wouldnt have continued speaking. (she bumped and spilled a drink on me and instinctually said sorry in german (was in Bristol) and it went from there)
I have a GCSE in French - it was a waste of time even by the end I couldn't hold a conversation in French. I wonder if would have been semi fluent in French after putting 3 hours a week into Duolingo and similar for 5 years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending