The Student Room Group

Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (AMES) at Cambridge

I'm thinking of applying for this course but I don't do a language at A-level, and 95% (I think) of 2022 entrants did, does anyone know if this would disadvantage me much, and if so, how can I make up for it?
(I also don't do English or History, which most entrants did do)
Also, does the interview focus around the language you select- for example I'm thinking of doing Japanese studies but would the interview ask me anthing about China or the Middle East ?cuz I know literally nothing about them :frown:
Final question- what sort of things do the interviewers ask you for AMES?- since we're unlikely to know stuff
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Normally, you would need at least one European language from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian or Portuguese. :smile:
Hi, I’ve done Japanese studies at ames :smile: Yeah they do generally prefer one of a foreign language, English or history a level, however for Japanese they don’t care nearly as much about the foreign language as learning a European one is very different from learning an East Asian language. The reason they like these is because they show that you have some essay skill before hand, if you do a different essay subject or epq that will suffice— if you do pure stem then your will have a submission essay to show your writing potential anyway.

Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t have a humanities background. A couple of people in my class were similar. One had never written an a level equivalent essay before she started. Look at the different college websites and see which ones prefer different subjects— some will even say maths if you did this. I think for my year Homerton, Emmanuel and St Catherine’s were more relaxed on a level preferation. Good luck!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’ve done Japanese studies at ames :smile: Yeah they do generally prefer one of a foreign language, English or history a level, however for Japanese they don’t care nearly as much about the foreign language as learning a European one is very different from learning an East Asian language. The reason they like these is because they show that you have some essay skill before hand, if you do a different essay subject or epq that will suffice— if you do pure stem then your will have a submission essay to show your writing potential anyway.

Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t have a humanities background. A couple of people in my class were similar. One had never written an a level equivalent essay before she started. Look at the different college websites and see which ones prefer different subjects— some will even say maths if you did this. I think for my year Homerton, Emmanuel and St Catherine’s were more relaxed on a level preferation. Good luck!!

Hey, hope you are doing well. Do you remember anything from your interview in terms of material you were given? I literally can't find anything online about what an AMES interview looks like so I don't know how to prepare. Did they give you material to read or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending