The Student Room Group

globular proteins

I don't understand how globular proteins are soluble in water.

I understand it has a hydrophilic r groups on the outside so these would be soluble due to polar water molecules surrounding the r groups but what about the hydrophobic internal structure. this is not polar so won't dissolve and is part of the globular protein so how does the globular protein dissolve if the hydrophobic r groups don't interact with water

does it leave the hydrophobic r groups without any protection from the hydrophilic r groups due to them being dissolved
Original post by WWEKANE
I don't understand how globular proteins are soluble in water.

I understand it has a hydrophilic r groups on the outside so these would be soluble due to polar water molecules surrounding the r groups but what about the hydrophobic internal structure. this is not polar so won't dissolve and is part of the globular protein so how does the globular protein dissolve if the hydrophobic r groups don't interact with water

does it leave the hydrophobic r groups without any protection from the hydrophilic r groups due to them being dissolved

The hydrophilic groups will point outwards and the hydrophobic groups will point inside towards the centre. Remember that the structure of a protein isn’t fixed and the orientation of parts of the protein will change depending on its environment
Reply 2
so how does that make it soluble in blood if you don't mind me asking if the hydrophobic doesn't dissolve
Original post by WWEKANE
so how does that make it soluble in blood if you don't mind me asking if the hydrophobic doesn't dissolve

The hydrophilic ends will point outwards forming stronger hydrogen bonds with the water in blood. The hydrophobic ends will point inwards so won’t be interacting with the water. The pH also plays a factor in maintaining the charges on the amino acids
Reply 4
thanks for your help. I was getting confused with my knowledge on solubility. so it's not like NACL when the ions are seperated by polar water molecules but rather the water surrounding the external surface of the protein(ie hydrophilic)
Original post by WWEKANE
thanks for your help. I was getting confused with my knowledge on solubility. so it's not like NACL when the ions are seperated by polar water molecules but rather the water surrounding the external surface of the protein(ie hydrophilic)

Yes if the molecule/water interactions are more energetically favourable (as they would be with charged groups) then it can dissolve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending