The Student Room Group

whey protein or creatine?

what do you guys think is better between these two? Online I've mainly seen people adding in creatine in their protein drink and was wondering is creatine better than whey protein for building mass?
Reply 1
Original post by DRIPDRIP9463
what do you guys think is better between these two? Online I've mainly seen people adding in creatine in their protein drink and was wondering is creatine better than whey protein for building mass?

The answer depends on your goals and reasons for you to take them.
TLDR, you don't choose one over the other - you take both :biggrin:

Protein powders, shakes, etc. are simply a convenient way to increase your daily protein intake so there is enough material for your body to build muscle tissue from. You don't NEED to take protein as you can simply eat normal food that has enough protein in it, it's simply a personal choice. Personally I only take 20-40g a day just to top up my protein intake to the required level to promote muscle hypertrophy. Taking more protein than needed will not produce more muscles (diminishing returns), it's just going to be excess calories turning into fat.
If you have no issues meeting your daily protein needs from a regular solid food diet (or would just prefer to go about it that way), then the use of a protein powder is by no means mandatory and your results won’t be negatively affected if you choose to exclude it from your nutrition plan. However, if you do enjoy the convenience that protein powders provide and/or the taste of the various high protein smoothies and recipes that can be created with it, including one in your nutrition program can be a helpful option to streamline your overall eating plan.

Creatine helps your muscles perform better during the exercise, it increases overall strength and power, allowing you to lift slightly heavier weight for more reps. Creatine also draws more water inside of the muscle cells (so stay hydrated!), resulting in a slightly more muscular and defined appearance. Expect to gain up to ~2kg of extra body weight in form of water over a few weeks from when you start taking Creatine (it will stabilise and stay that way so you're not going to keep adding water mass long term), but don't worry this is simply water in your muscles and other tissue. It will go away if/when you stop taking Creatine.
Despite the many “new and improved” forms of creatine that have been released over the years (such as creatine ethyl ester, creatine hydrochloride, buffered creatine, creatine nitrate and creatine serum), not a single research study to date has ever demonstrated any of these so-called “advanced” creatines to be superior to the original monohydrate form in any way, so just take the pure form of it - Creatine Monohydrate.

So both of these are used for a very different purpose to achieve one goal - increase in strength and muscular hypertrophy.
I'd argue that you can skip protein powders and shakes if your daily food has enough of protein to support muscle growth, but you can't get more creatine from anywhere else besides taking the creatine monohydrate.

Hope that helps,
Al
(edited 10 months ago)
Whey protein is a food, if you lack protein in your diet it'll help. If not, it'll just be food

Creatine is a supplement that mildly improves muscle gain
Both are important, and safe. Creatine is most studied sport supplment and has been proven to be safe and effective. If you have to choose between the two then if you are a vegetarian get the whey protein but if you eat meat you can easily can your protein from food and should get the creatine

Quick Reply

Latest