The Student Room Group

Trinity College Cambridge 2019 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dysf(x)al
Same! I assume you've already had your interview then. How do you think it went? (of course without sharing the questions themselves...)

I’m not sure about it. At the beginning of the test I was really stressed and couldn’t focus. Then I got some ideas for problems and finished with four and some parts of others. In the interview I quickly finished 3 other problems. (with really small hints) Then I needed hints for one (it was about a topic which isn’t covered in my school). Then it was not much time so I got a bigger hint for another problem. Finally I finished with 9 solved problems. What do you think about it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by acandidate
I’m not sure about it. At the beginning of the test I was really stressed and couldn’t focus. Then I got some ideas for problems and finished with four and some parts of others. In the interview I quickly finished 3 other problems. (with really small hints) Then I needed hints for one (it was about a topic which isn’t covered in my school). Then it was not much time so I got a bigger hint for another problem. Finally I finished with 9 solved problems. What do you think about it?

9 is a very strong score. I managed 5 problems totally solved in the test, 2 that were almost there but needed small tweaks and two I left half-finished. In the interview I got those to full solutions, so like you I solved 9 by the end of everything. I think my test went well but slightly worried about the amount of help I needed in the interview. I've been told that's normal but I guess I'm just not used to these kind of questions. Fingers crossed for both of us!
9 is a very strong score. I managed 5 problems totally solved in the test, 2 that were almost there but needed small tweaks and two I left half-finished. In the interview I got those to full solutions, so like you I solved 9 by the end of everything. I think my test went well but slightly worried about the amount of help I needed in the interview. I've been told that's normal but I guess I'm just not used to these kind of questions. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Thank you. Can’t wait for the results.
I wish I got NINE in the written test :eek:

I got seven by the end but needed too much help on at least one of those questions.
Original post by etothepiiplusone
I wish I got NINE in the written test :eek:

I got seven by the end but needed too much help on at least one of those questions.

The interviewer gave you the score after interview? How can we got the score fo test? they never told us~~
Original post by Janeiswho
The interviewer gave you the score after interview? How can we got the score fo test? they never told us~~

He’s talking about how many he could solve, I think
Original post by Janeiswho

Original post by MateFeher
He’s talking about how many he could solve, I think

Indeed I was.

See Dysf(x)al and acandidate's discussion above.
Hi everyone, I'm new to TSR. I applied for maths at Trinity too, and I just had my interview on the 4th. I reckon it was ok- I had 5 full solutions and 1 partial. We did 3 more during the interview, but I needed quite a lot of hints (prompting for most steps). Congratulations to everyone else here who did so well! Hopefully I will still get an offer. Fingers crossed.
Reply 168
Original post by Doonesbury
Please don't mention specific questions - you are under a confidentiality agreement with your College...

Sorry!
Original post by simp1ex
I was interviewed for Mathematics on 3 December. I solved all problems correctly in the test, and after grading them the interviewers said that because they have run out of questions, I could leave. I also have SSS in STEP and meet all entry requirements. Does this guarantee an unconditional offer? (If so, I can withdraw my applications to other universities now.)

Sorry, but this sounds rather suspect. I know multiple 1st-year trinmos and they told me that if you solve all the problems, they will give you more in the interview. And even if it were true, you have nothing to gain (but a lot to lose) by withdrawing your other applications. Someone with the analytical capacity to solve all 10 questions in the test would surely be able to think that through for themselves.
Sorry, but this sounds rather suspect. I know multiple 1st-year trinmos and they told me that if you solve all the problems, they will give you more in the interview. And even if it were true, you have nothing to gain (but a lot to lose) by withdrawing your other applications. Someone with the analytical capacity to solve all 10 questions in the test would surely be able to think that through for themselves.

Exactly.
Original post by simp1ex
I was interviewed for Mathematics on 3 December. I solved all problems correctly in the test, and after grading them the interviewers said that because they have run out of questions, I could leave. I also have SSS in STEP and meet all entry requirements. Does this guarantee an unconditional offer? (If so, I can withdraw my applications to other universities now.)

Even if we take your post at face value you will still have the IELTS requirement to achieve

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=80155770

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did 8 problems fully and 2 partially during the test, then finished the last 2 + 1 more during the interview. I choked slightly during the interview, wasn't able to think properly for the first 10 minutes.
Anybody know when we get the news about offers for maths? I've been hearing 14th of January everywhere but I'm pretty sure the interviewers said to me that the posts were getting sent on the 9th.
Original post by James_Xu
Anybody know when we get the news about offers for maths? I've been hearing 14th of January everywhere but I'm pretty sure the interviewers said to me that the posts were getting sent on the 9th.

All colleges will be emailing their decision on the 14th. It even says so on Trinity's site:

"Decision letters will be posted to all applicants on Monday 14 January 2019 (University-wide communication day). Emails will also be sent on the same day. We are unable to give any decisions over the telephone. UCAS Track will only update once the central Cambridge Admissions Office has given the decisions to UCAS (they will do this by the end of January)."

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/information-for-current-applicants/
I've been hearing a lot of numbers of questions done, and been thinking about this too much. Overall, I didn't do as many questions as other people or went into the interview with as many complete solutions.

But during the interview itself I went over more questions with them? Maybe its because I started a ton so I had a head start? But it could be a good thing, right? That with their help I was going through them at a good pace? That I was being teachable? Then again, maybe not, maybe they just got bored and were handing me answers?

Ahh, I'm over thinking this. And I haven't even got to my dumb mistakes in this overthinking process yet :/
Original post by AcornFalls
I've been hearing a lot of numbers of questions done, and been thinking about this too much. Overall, I didn't do as many questions as other people or went into the interview with as many complete solutions.

But during the interview itself I went over more questions with them? Maybe its because I started a ton so I had a head start? But it could be a good thing, right? That with their help I was going through them at a good pace? That I was being teachable? Then again, maybe not, maybe they just got bored and were handing me answers?

Ahh, I'm over thinking this. And I haven't even got to my dumb mistakes in this overthinking process yet :/

I think what matters more is how many you've managed to discuss and solve at the end of the interview. Also I've heard that how you do a question matters.

Anyhow there's no point worrying about it now (even though I know it's really hard) - it's a done deal. Go enjoy yourself - it's Christmas lol.
I think what matters more is how many you've managed to discuss and solve at the end of the interview. Also I've heard that how you do a question matters.

Anyhow there's no point worrying about it now (even though I know it's really hard) - it's a done deal. Go enjoy yourself - it's Christmas lol.

Right, thanks so much :biggrin:

I can worry whenever I want - Christmas and no Christmas :P

Also, isn't it so exciting how close we are? I honestly can't wait, as nervous as I sound!
Original post by AcornFalls
Also, isn't it so exciting how close we are? I honestly can't wait, as nervous as I sound!

Ngl, I think I'm dreading the day more than being impatient for it ...
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Ngl, I think I'm dreading the day more than being impatient for it ...

Oh yeah same. However, it’s been quite the journey applying to Trinity from the EU, and I’m sort of looking forward to the end of all the stress and all the waiting and the whole opaqueness of my future. As long as I can remember it’s been my dream to study at Cambridge, but even if this wonderful dream were to die, I’d feel like I’ve gained a lot from the whole experience. I’ve never wanted anything in my life as much as I want to get this offer, and I’ve never fought as hard for anything. However, if I don’t get in, which is likely, I’ll refuse to treat my rejection with more than the meager disappointment it deserves, and I’ll strive on towards different goals.

The point is, this decision could be a major event in our lives, but let’s not let it dictate the few weeks we have left until we know, and let’s not convince ourselves that a potential rejection is a greater tragedy than it actually is.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending