The Student Room Group

How is Geography A-Level

Hi,

I know there are a couple of threads with this same title but they are a couple years old and people have actually sat the new specification. I'm thinking of taking Geography at A-Level along with Maths and Computer Science (hoping to do Computer Science at university).

I've been told it is a big set up from Geography GCSE, other than that not much so I have a couple of questions.

1) We currently have to learn quite a few case studies - is that the same (if not more) at A-Level?
2) From my experience, Geography questions you need to interpret information - is that the same?
3) Is Geography a weird choice for what I what to do? Only really picking it because I have enjoyed my GCSE Geography so far
4) How well regarded is Geography by universities?
Original post by iBearHQ
Hi,

I know there are a couple of threads with this same title but they are a couple years old and people have actually sat the new specification. I'm thinking of taking Geography at A-Level along with Maths and Computer Science (hoping to do Computer Science at university).

I've been told it is a big set up from Geography GCSE, other than that not much so I have a couple of questions.

1) We currently have to learn quite a few case studies - is that the same (if not more) at A-Level?
2) From my experience, Geography questions you need to interpret information - is that the same?
3) Is Geography a weird choice for what I what to do? Only really picking it because I have enjoyed my GCSE Geography so far

You are in LUCK! I'm in Year 13 and I do Maths, Geography and Computer Science lol at a level so ask away lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
You are in LUCK! I do Maths, Geography and Computer Science lol at a level so ask away lol

Oooo, had 4 in my original post will post it back here:
Reply 3
Would be doing AQA by the way
Original post by iBearHQ
Oooo, had 4 in my original post will post it back here:

1) YOU CAN use just the textbook for case studies. But, finding your own is better. The less the better. Find case studies which you can link to other topics in Geography. Eg Curitiba Brazil is a sustainable city. It comes under (Changing Places, Contemporaneity Urban environments and carbon/water cycle).
2) You use information to back up your points in your essay. You can explain it though.
3) I really wanted to do Physics but my school were like F*** You so I chose Geography cause I got an A at gcse and its kinda like Physics in a way.
4) Geography is a facilitating subject and is recognised by top unis.
Original post by iBearHQ
Would be doing AQA by the way

I do:

edexcel math
AQA Geography
Ocr science

I have the trio of death
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by iBearHQ
Hi,

i also am thinking about doing geography and maths for a-level.I would advice you to choose it if you enjoy it and that it is related for the jobs you want in the future.
Heads up:

Math is my favourite.

I can tolerate the other 2 but I have no proper interest in them. They were my best options. I'm doing them because my unis accept them for engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending