The Student Room Group

Cardiff sixth form college initial assessment

hi there!
I'm an international student wanting to go to Cardiff Sixth form College in September 2019. Is anyone here a student at that school and what do you think about it? I've read that it is one of the best (if not even top 1) sixth form schools in the UK and I think that it would definitely prepare me for further education. Since I've not sat final GCSE exams I will have to do the initial exams in maths, English and other subjects that I'm interested in learning at my A levels. Does anyone know what are these tests like (especially maths, biology and chemistry)?
I have excellent grades in these subjects in my country, but I feel like the British school system is far beyond our and that we haven't covered some materials that British students have at my age.
Reply 1
Original post by LaraD1
hi there!
I'm an international student wanting to go to Cardiff Sixth form College in September 2019. Is anyone here a student at that school and what do you think about it? I've read that it is one of the best (if not even top 1) sixth form schools in the UK and I think that it would definitely prepare me for further education. Since I've not sat final GCSE exams I will have to do the initial exams in maths, English and other subjects that I'm interested in learning at my A levels. Does anyone know what are these tests like (especially maths, biology and chemistry)?
I have excellent grades in these subjects in my country, but I feel like the British school system is far beyond our and that we haven't covered some materials that British students have at my age.

May I ask, what country are you studying at?

Cardiff Sixth Form College's assessments only contain GCSE content. They can be quite tricky though.
Reply 2
Original post by Crow_M

Cardiff Sixth Form College's assessments only contain GCSE content. They can be quite tricky though.

One of the Balkan's countries, not saying the exact country because of the safety risks hahah.
Guess I will have to do a lot of work to get there, but thank you for answering :smile:
Do you know if they offer scholarships and up to what percent do they go, also how difficult is it to get it?
Reply 3
Original post by LaraD1
One of the Balkan's countries, not saying the exact country because of the safety risks hahah.
Guess I will have to do a lot of work to get there, but thank you for answering :smile:
Do you know if they offer scholarships and up to what percent do they go, also how difficult is it to get it?

I have friends from Bosnia and Serbia ^^. (If you're in Serbia, Zdravo 😆.

I have applied to CSFC (I got rejected because of my GCSE results, missed my scholarship by a couple of marks 🙄).

They do offer scholarships, for internationals it's a bit tougher. The scholarship exams are harder than the normal exams. I'd say that you have to know your sciences and maths inside out :P

They usually go for 50% for international. You have to do 4 exams (each in your subject one reasoning test which is annoying as hell). It is quite difficult, but if you're really good you may get it.

I'm currently doing 6 A Levels despite not being in CSFC, I live quite near to the college as well. (Still, a bit bitter :rofl: )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Crow_M

I’m also applying to attend the college in 2019, and have to arrange my admissions tests soon. For sciences does the exam cover year 11 science only? Or year 10 science too? Also how much of the spec should I teach myself? (I’m unconfident my teacher’s have covered enough). Sorry for the bombardment of questions
Reply 5
Original post by kloeosman
I’m also applying to attend the college in 2019, and have to arrange my admissions tests soon. For sciences does the exam cover year 11 science only? Or year 10 science too? Also how much of the spec should I teach myself? (I’m unconfident my teacher’s have covered enough). Sorry for the bombardment of questions

Hi,
I have written CSFC normal entrance exams (not the scholarship ones) and they were fairly easy. I think that it contained the whole GCSE syllabus so make sure to go over it. I am not from the UK and I had to learn a lot of the content by myself, but if you are from the UK you should be fine.
I did the exams in maths, biology, chemistry and physics. You are not allowed to use your calculator during the maths exam.
If you have any further messages feel free to dm me.
Original post by LaraD1
Hi,
I have written CSFC normal entrance exams (not the scholarship ones) and they were fairly easy. I think that it contained the whole GCSE syllabus so make sure to go over it. I am not from the UK and I had to learn a lot of the content by myself, but if you are from the UK you should be fine.
I did the exams in maths, biology, chemistry and physics. You are not allowed to use your calculator during the maths exam.
If you have any further messages feel free to dm me.

Thank you for all your help :smile:
Hi, I just did the entrance exam for September 2019 today.... a bit late - I know- and I wanted to know how soon I should expect a response and what happens after the exam.......
Original post by Aramidexoox
Hi, I just did the entrance exam for September 2019 today.... a bit late - I know- and I wanted to know how soon I should expect a response and what happens after the exam.......

Hi, I heard back within about 3 or 4 weeks but others have said a week so don’t panic! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, Any advice on taking the Maths Scholarship entrance exam for CSFC please, can you use a calcualtor? Also the reasoning test, I have no idea what this will entail so any help much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest