The Student Room Group

GDL - feeling overwhelmed

I hope someone on here may be able to relate. I started the GDL in September and right now I feel completely overwhelmed in regards to volume of material I need to remember. 7 core areas of law with 8 sub-sub topics per module. I am starting to feel that you need a superhuman memory to do well in the is course. I estimate I need to learn at least 100 cases. I have 7 textbooks and I just cant understand how I am meant to commit all of that to memory.
Does anyone have an tips?
Original post by legalbeagle1990
I hope someone on here may be able to relate. I started the GDL in September and right now I feel completely overwhelmed in regards to volume of material I need to remember. 7 core areas of law with 8 sub-sub topics per module. I am starting to feel that you need a superhuman memory to do well in the is course. I estimate I need to learn at least 100 cases. I have 7 textbooks and I just cant understand how I am meant to commit all of that to memory.
Does anyone have an tips?

You don't need to learn and understand everything. You can get away with learning 3/4 topics usually.

And even then, you are expected to know the big cases and not every single ever said about the topic.
Original post by Notoriety
You don't need to learn and understand everything. You can get away with learning 3/4 topics usually.

And even then, you are expected to know the big cases and not every single ever said about the topic.

Each area of law has 8 sub-topics and we advised that we need to learn all of them. I also find it very tedious having to read the transcript of each case in detail.
I really need at least a commendation, but I feel like even a pass seems hard to obtain.
8 questions come up in the exam and you pick and answer 3. I have been advised to learn all 8 as 'I may not like the question' that comes up for my chosen topic.
We are not allowed access to past papers which I think is ridiculous.
8 questions come up in the exam and you pick and answer 3. I have been advised to learn all 8 as 'I may not like the question' that comes up for my chosen topic.

The "won't like the question" thing is a bit daft. If you research the topic properly, you can answer any question about it. It's really that simple.

Where you cannot answer any question on the particular topic comes from not knowing the topic completely, because you studied all 8.
The "won't like the question" thing is a bit daft. If you research the topic properly, you can answer any question about it. It's really that simple.

Where you cannot answer any question on the particular topic comes from not knowing the topic completely, because you studied all 8.

That is actually a very good way of looking at it. If you were in my position, what would your plan of attack be? I am tempted to now just learn 3 topics in depth and not spend much time on the other 5.
We don't study any jurisprudence.

A little off topic, but how many hours should I be looking to study each week? I do around 20-25 outside of class, but I feel I should really start to step it up a bit. I have never studied law before so it is all quite new to me.
We do have some essay questions, but I am going to try and avoid those topics that lend themselves to essay type questions. Problem questions seem a doddle.

I infer that you did a law degree and not the GDL?
PQ require complete understanding of the law. Essays -- you can get away with partial understanding, arguing from first principles.

I always go with essay because I know I can BS one out.
PQ require complete understanding of the law. Essays -- you can get away with partial understanding, arguing from first principles.

I always go with essay because I know I can BS one out.

I think you must be in the minority though? Most students, at least in my year, seem to prefer problem questions. For an essay question, do you not need to focuss too much on reading journal articles ect? I did history for my undergrad and I think PQ's seem the far easier option.
I think you must be in the minority though? Most students, at least in my year, seem to prefer problem questions. For an essay question, do you not need to focuss too much on reading journal articles ect? I did history for my undergrad and I think PQ's seem the far easier option.

Reading journal articles is the easiest thing you can do as a law student; plus it is the only actually interesting reading you will do as a law student.

If you find it easier to do PQs, then ignore me. I was just trying to raise a point that essays should be easier, as you can get away with reading a lot less.

Btw, articles are useful for PQs too. You could really manage PQs just off reading 4/5 articles; authors describe the law as part of their piece.
(edited 5 years ago)
When it comes to learning topics in-depth, what is actually classed as in-depth for studying law? You could say in-depth knowledge equate to expert knowledge: knowing every singe case and judgment ever made.

Quick Reply

Latest