The Student Room Group

Which uni should I pick for my GDL?

I applied to the University of Law, London Met and City since they were the only uni’s near me that offer GDL (apart from the BP one). I’ve got an offer for all 3 and I don’t know what to pick. I was gonna go for ULaw because I thought it might look better on my CV as opposed to Met or City since they both have less than stellar reps (no offence : / ). But I know firms don’t really care where you’ve done your GDL, they care more about where you did your undergrad.

Met is about £6.5k & has more research based modules.
City and ULaw are about £12.5k and are mostly open book/multiple choice exams.

Obviously Met sounds the greatest but I’m concerned as to why it’s so cheap for a GDL, I’ve never seen any other uni offer it at this price, the least I’ve seen is £10.5k. So I feel like I’m missing something? They do say that there will be extra fees for examinations and books? But the most that should be is an extra 1k right?

Would be helpful if people from those uni’s could offer their experience with the GDL there. Thanks!
80% of future solicitors use BPP or University of Law. The City Consortium firms in London use BPP. If you plan to be a solicitor rather than a barrister you don't need the GDL at all now but big firms still prefer people to do it.

So if you need student loan funding for it, it tends to be best to do something like the BPP PGDL with SQE and masters to get the masters student loan funding (assuming you do not have a law firm sponsoring you) as you can only have one chance at a masters loan.
Original post by Juju123450
I applied to the University of Law, London Met and City since they were the only uni’s near me that offer GDL (apart from the BP one). I’ve got an offer for all 3 and I don’t know what to pick. I was gonna go for ULaw because I thought it might look better on my CV as opposed to Met or City since they both have less than stellar reps (no offence : / ). But I know firms don’t really care where you’ve done your GDL, they care more about where you did your undergrad.

Met is about £6.5k & has more research based modules.
City and ULaw are about £12.5k and are mostly open book/multiple choice exams.

Obviously Met sounds the greatest but I’m concerned as to why it’s so cheap for a GDL, I’ve never seen any other uni offer it at this price, the least I’ve seen is £10.5k. So I feel like I’m missing something? They do say that there will be extra fees for examinations and books? But the most that should be is an extra 1k right?

Would be helpful if people from those uni’s could offer their experience with the GDL there. Thanks!

Hi!

I have just finished the PGDL at ULaw and really enjoyed it! Of course, in many ways you aren't wrong and once you have achieved your conversion course it is unlikely to matter where you got it from. However, I think it's worth looking at the support you receive at each institution whilst studying there. ULAW has some really great support systems such as employment and wellbeing which have really helped me. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice but I'd make sure to weigh up all of the factors rather than just finance!

Hope this helps :smile:
Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending