The Student Room Group

How hard is a Law degree really?

Hi all, I'm really interested in studying Law at university. But a large factor holding me back is the apparent difficulty. Now I know it's going to be hard at times, but in relation to other degrees, how much harder?

I like studying and I will work hard to do well in the degree. Is there any point in doing it or should I do something like Philosophy and GDL, which would increase my chances of getting a first from a better university?

Thanks
I have never gotten the impression it's especially more conceptually difficult than other degrees, rather that things are scaled such that it's harder to get a 1st relative to other courses.

Unless you are specifically interested in studying black letter law in an academic setting there's really no particular reason to do a law degree over any other degree. Also bear in mind you aren't going to be debating grand theories of justice or morality in a law degree either.
Hi there,

I study law at Coventry University. Originally I chose to study law as it's an academically recognised degree with a high reputation, however I was not prepared for the complexity of the degree and the amount of reading that needs to be completed, which includes reading textbooks and statutes, reading cases and analysing them and etc.

In my first year, law was quite overwhelming for me, as it was a big jump from my a-levels. However, if you are passionate about law, although they do teach you the basics of law before you move to the complex aspects of it, I would recommend completing some background reading around law, if you have time, especially around the English legal system. You DON'T have to if you don't want to, but I wish I had at least a basic understanding of law and what I was getting into. Overall, if you manage to keep on top of your lectures and workshops, you'll be fine. As a third year student, as well, I haven't achieved the best grades throughout my time on this degree, but I haven't achieved the worst either.

Sometimes law isn't for everyone, but as everyday passed, I began to understand that I am in university, not because I want to understand law and get a degree, but because I want to gain the skills employers are looking for, in me, which includes communication skills, presentation skills, research skills, client-interviewing skills and many more. By completing my assigments on time, I have already demonstrated and gained so many skills, such as research skills (researching and applying the right case law and statutes), time-management (managing my time by ensuring I complete my coursework before the deadline, whilst having other commitments outside of university) and etc.

A degree isn't just about understanding something, but also gaining those transferrable skills, which can be applied in the work field in the future. I have gained this transferrable skills on my course, but also by committing my self to other extra-curricular activities, such as becoming the student ambassador of Coventry University, becoming a committee member of the law society, attending debating sessions and etc.

I hope this helped. (Apologise if I waffled too much.)

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

I study law at Coventry University. Originally I chose to study law as it's an academically recognised degree with a high reputation, however I was not prepared for the complexity of the degree and the amount of reading that needs to be completed, which includes reading textbooks and statutes, reading cases and analysing them and etc.

In my first year, law was quite overwhelming for me, as it was a big jump from my a-levels. However, if you are passionate about law, although they do teach you the basics of law before you move to the complex aspects of it, I would recommend completing some background reading around law, if you have time, especially around the English legal system. You DON'T have to if you don't want to, but I wish I had at least a basic understanding of law and what I was getting into. Overall, if you manage to keep on top of your lectures and workshops, you'll be fine. As a third year student, as well, I haven't achieved the best grades throughout my time on this degree, but I haven't achieved the worst either.

Sometimes law isn't for everyone, but as everyday passed, I began to understand that I am in university, not because I want to understand law and get a degree, but because I want to gain the skills employers are looking for, in me, which includes communication skills, presentation skills, research skills, client-interviewing skills and many more. By completing my assigments on time, I have already demonstrated and gained so many skills, such as research skills (researching and applying the right case law and statutes), time-management (managing my time by ensuring I complete my coursework before the deadline, whilst having other commitments outside of university) and etc.

A degree isn't just about understanding something, but also gaining those transferrable skills, which can be applied in the work field in the future. I have gained this transferrable skills on my course, but also by committing my self to other extra-curricular activities, such as becoming the student ambassador of Coventry University, becoming a committee member of the law society, attending debating sessions and etc.

I hope this helped. (Apologise if I waffled too much.)

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Thanks a lot for this, and no it wasn't waffle, it really helped
Original post by gregregregreg
Thanks a lot for this, and no it wasn't waffle, it really helped

No problem!
yeah so im in my second year at uni of leeds and well first year wasnt too difficult im not saying that as someone who is a genius, im not, but if you put in the hours youll get good grades. second year is hard, a lot more harder than first year but its still manageable. getting a first is achievable in law, just gotta put in the hours
Original post by intheimageofGOD
yeah so im in my second year at uni of leeds and well first year wasnt too difficult im not saying that as someone who is a genius, im not, but if you put in the hours youll get good grades. second year is hard, a lot more harder than first year but its still manageable. getting a first is achievable in law, just gotta put in the hours

Right ok, cheers
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I'm really interested in studying Law at university. But a large factor holding me back is the apparent difficulty. Now I know it's going to be hard at times, but in relation to other degrees, how much harder?

I like studying and I will work hard to do well in the degree. Is there any point in doing it or should I do something like Philosophy and GDL, which would increase my chances of getting a first from a better university?

Thanks

Hi @gregregregreg!

Studying anything at university can feel like a large jump from school/college but I wouldn't let that put you off as everyone experiences the same thing and university is supposed to be a challenge! I wouldn't say that law is any more difficult than other subjects, if you are interested in law then study law. At the end of the day, it is all about whether you are willing to put the time in to study and do well in your degree, if you like the subject then the likelihood is that you will do well. If you don't like the subject and are just doing it because you thought it would be an easier option then you are unlikely to succeed in the long run as you will have limited motivation to do your best. There are always horror stories about different degrees and how hard they can be but often these are just stories and not a reality. If you apply yourself you will be just fine :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending