The Student Room Group

Hi everybody......I'm an American girl i'm new, my name is Cheryl

You can ask me anything and i need some basics on how things go down on here....
did you vote for trump

yes or no
Original post by Ray_Shadows
did you vote for trump

yes or no

No
Original post by Cheryl_Hunter
No

well it's nice to meet you then :smile:
Reply 4
You can ask me anything and i need some basics on how things go down on here....

Yo.
Anything... specific?

Wtf.. Weren't you just Chinese a minute ago?
Well,

#1 Do you live in England or are you in the US?

#2 Do you understand our school/grading system in England?

And more life advice then a question....

Don't mention the independence war with Brits.

It's a touchy subject.
Original post by RickiestRick
Well,

#1 Do you live in England or are you in the US?

#2 Do you understand our school/grading system in England?

And more life advice then a question....

Don't mention the independence war with Brits.

It's a touchy subject.

I live in the US.
I do not understand the England schoo/ grading system. It's strange to me
Original post by Sinnoh
Yo.
Anything... specific?
Why is your name Cheryl?
Reply 9
I live in the US.
I do not understand the England schoo/ grading system. It's strange to me

Oh ok.

Well when you're no less than 5 years old you go into "year 1", although by that time someone's already had two years of school. Then it simply goes up by 1 every academic year until year 13. Primary school goes from nursery to year 6 (ages 3-11), secondary school is usually year 7 onwards, either until year 11 or year 13 (11-16 or 11-18). 6th form refers to both year 12 and year 13, some schools are just 6th form only.

SATs are exams taken at the end of year 6 - so usually by 11-year-olds.

GCSEs are the first proper public exams taken, at the end of year 11 - by which time most people sitting it will be 16. GCSEs are graded from 1-9, with 9 being the best, although if you do particularly badly you get a U. That's a Level 2 qualification.

Post-16 there's a few options in England, at least. Everyone has to be in some form of education from 16-18. Most do A-levels (the A is for Advanced), which are specific subjects and most people take 3. That's graded A*-E.
Then there's the BTEC, which is a bit more vocational and focused on a particular specific subject/course. I think it's graded as pass, merit and distinction. There's the International Baccalaureate too where you take 6 subjects, 3 at 'standard level' and 3 at 'higher level'. That's graded by number, I think 7 is the highest?
These are all two-year courses.

There are also AS-levels (Advanced subsidiary) which are entirely optional public examinations taken at the end of year 12. Before the A-level reforms, these would count towards your final grade at the end of the two years, but now they do not.

Many people go straight from year 13 to university, so a lot of people apply based off their predicted grades and not the grades they already have. So the offers given by universities are conditional. It's possible to take a gap year and apply later with achieved grades instead.
Original post by Sensei Chubbybum
Wtf.. Weren't you just Chinese a minute ago?

No, I saw the post as well it was a coincidence.

Quick Reply

Latest