The Student Room Group

Shwann cells in neurone, help :/

I understand that the axon becomes myelinated by wrapping shwann cells around it in intervals. I would just like to know, for each node of Ranvier space on the axon is that one Swann cells wrapped infront of it, then one wrapped after it??
Also if you were labelling a diagram, how would you know what to label as a shwann cell and what to label as myelinated sheath?

Thanks x
Original post by Big_Smoke9
I understand that the axon becomes myelinated by wrapping shwann cells around it in intervals. I would just like to know, for each node of Ranvier space on the axon is that one Swann cells wrapped infront of it, then one wrapped after it??
Also if you were labelling a diagram, how would you know what to label as a shwann cell and what to label as myelinated sheath?

Thanks x

Spelling in examinations is important. It's a 'Schwann' cell.

The answer is yes - the 'sausage roll' is a Schwann cell, which forms the myelination.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Spelling in examinations is important. It's a 'Schwann' cell.

The answer is yes - the 'sausage roll' is a Schwann cell, which forms the myelination.

Ok thanks and Yh just finished the topic today so need to familiarise myself still. How would you know if an arrow in a diagram or TEM ultragraph would be to label Schwann cell or myelin sheath?

Quick Reply

Latest