The Student Room Group

University students hit by wave of fake tax refund emails

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46234014

Students across the UK have been sent emails which were supposedly from HMRC, All Uni students should be aware of this scam and should NOT give their details if contacted in an unsolicited situation, be aware and stay cyber safe.
I’m not a university student and I’ve been receiving these emails. I fell for it a couple of times
Reply 2
Original post by Rainfall
I’m not a university student and I’ve been receiving these emails. I fell for it a couple of times

It is specifically targeting Uni students on their Uni emails and stating their full name, just Uni students need to be aware of this.
The mind boggles. Surely, in 2018, there cannot be a regular computer user who is of sufficient intelligence to study for a degree who would be unaware of such scams, or greedy enough to fall for them? It beggars belief that anyone falls for them but a few must.

HMRC never emails people with such a message and link. No reputable organisation does it, in fact.
Wahey, I got one of those emails! :P
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
The mind boggles. Surely, in 2018, there cannot be a regular computer user who is of sufficient intelligence to study for a degree who would be unaware of such scams, or greedy enough to fall for them? It beggars belief that anyone falls for them but a few must.

HMRC never emails people with such a message and link. No reputable organisation does it, in fact.

You would think that, however intelligence doesn't correlate to common sense and some really smart people can be incredibly stupid.
Original post by M4cc4n4
It is specifically targeting Uni students on their Uni emails and stating their full name, just Uni students need to be aware of this.

So either uni databases have been hacked by scammers or uni employees are leaking, presumably selling, student information to scammers - fantastic.
Original post by Joinedup
So either uni databases have been hacked by scammers or uni employees are leaking, presumably selling, student information to scammers - fantastic.

No. Every email user receives such emails. I received one in the last week, and at least two the week before.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
No. Every email user receives such emails. I received one in the last week, and at least two the week before.

I didn't recieve one even though my university was explicity targeted.
Reply 9
This probably counts as victim blaming, but I really think people need to not give their financial details to strangers. Even if those strangers happen to use an academic email address to pretend to be from a non-academic, tax department of the government.
Original post by ThomH97
This probably counts as victim blaming,

You can only be a victim if you are stupid enough to believe that an email out of the blue can bring a tax refund or other money and click on the link.
If you are a student, and have never worked and don't have a trust fund, and you think you might be entitled to a tax refund ... ur fick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending