The Student Room Group

how do i get a tax refund if i overpaid?

on hmrc, my employer reported that i earned £12.3k since Apr '23. on this i paid £3.6k income tax + NI. since june i have earned no further income, so i definitely overpaid tax

how/when do i get a refund for this?

thanks
Original post by HoldThisL
on hmrc, my employer reported that i earned £12.3k since Apr '23. on this i paid £3.6k income tax + NI. since june i have earned no further income, so i definitely overpaid tax

thanks

Ring the helpline for HMRC. They will sort it out to for you. The challenge is to be able to get through to them. Good luck.
HMRC will tell you, and eventually just send you the cheque in the mail if you don't go through their online portal to have it paid to you that way. Trying to get it through their online system is an impossible nightmare in my experience, so I've just waited for the cheque in the past...
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
Ring the helpline for HMRC. They will sort it out to for you. The challenge is to be able to get through to them. Good luck.

lol

thanks
Original post by HoldThisL

thanks

Have a look at the following link. Once you've answered the questions it advises you how to claim a refund:

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund
True story, I once spent a couple or so hours on the line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending