The Student Room Group

Will i get taxed for two jobs

So I’m currently working a part time job (20 hours) and will start another part time job at the same time (16 hours). I’m getting paid £700 for the both jobs individually (£1400) so how will I get taxed? I’m currently not getting taxed for my first job since I’m getting paid less but I’m not sure how this will work out and if it’s worth me having a second job or just getting a job with more hours.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I’m currently working a part time job (20 hours) and will start another part time job at the same time (16 hours). I’m getting paid £700 for the both jobs individually (£1400) so how will I get taxed? I’m currently not getting taxed for my first job since I’m getting paid less but I’m not sure how this will work out and if it’s worth me having a second job or just getting a job with more hours.

Hi
Everyone gets a tax allowance (currently £12750) which they can earn in a year without having to pay tax, which is why you aren't paying tax on your current job. When you start the new job, you should be given a Starter Checklist which will ask among other things, if this is your only job or if you have another one. Your employer uses this as a basis for letting HMRC know you are on their payroll. Initially your new job will probably give you an emergency tax code (meaning you get no personal allowance allocated against your new job). Eventually HMRC will issue your 2 employers new tax codes to use for you which should result in a refund of any overpaid tax. If it doesn't you will need to contact HMRC to explain the situation and ask for any overpayment to be refunded. You can do that online if you register for an account: HMRC online services: sign in or set up an account: Set up an account for HMRC online services - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending