The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vodex_Law
Honestly, I can't wait. But let us not forget, if we do end up receiving an invitation, after the interview, there's another wait until the 14th of Jan haha I think that one will be worse than this one.

I agree so much! At least now we can occupy ourselves by preparing for the interviews but after december it'll be such a struggle!
Honestly, I can't wait. But let us not forget, if we do end up receiving an invitation, after the interview, there's another wait until the 14th of Jan haha I think that one will be worse than this one.

I went through this process last year and believe me the wait until January is so much worse haha. Let’s not worry about that though cross that bridge when we get to it
Original post by jackbarney2017
@BrasenoseAdm what time do submissions close for written work on Sunday Britain time?

Hola jackbarney,
Good question. As a specific time is not stated, we would say midnight.

Brasenose Admissions

I agree the January wait is worse, but obviously as Oxford don’t interview as many as Cambridge, most rejected applicants will be told in the next few weeks if you get me. So more will be disappointed now than in January if that makes sense!
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola jackbarney,
Good question. As a specific time is not stated, we would say midnight.

Brasenose Admissions

Sorry you mean midnight as in 23:59 on Sunday right? Not midnight as in 30 minutes from now?
Original post by czardasz
she means that if they have 10 places, there will be around 30 people interviewed and it'll be hard to remember everyones name and face etc when deciding who to give places to

AHHHH I geddit, at first I thought she was speaking about place as where the student comes from and I freaked XD Sorry for being stupid I was under a bit of stress XD
@BrasenoseAdm Hi, could you tell me how history and economics admission tutors consider grades of international applicants with qualifications other than A-Level or GCSE when they make decisions on shortlisting students for interviews? Will they just take the scores of HAT and TSA S1 into consideration? Do they look at the writing sample or personal statement?
do offers come during the weekends, or is like an off for admission tutors as well? idk but someone said that they don't ever come on weekends, just wanted to confirm...
Original post by Z RF
do offers come during the weekends, or is like an off for admission tutors as well? idk but someone said that they don't ever come on weekends, just wanted to confirm...

they can do - but they won't from Oxford
Original post by czardasz
they can do - but they won't from Oxford

oh ok thanks, but how come not from Oxford?
Original post by Z RF
oh ok thanks, but how come not from Oxford?

Because they send out all their offers on January 14th which is a Tuesday
they send out rejections pre interview however in the next few weeks but I highly doubt they'd come on the weekend
Hi, I pretty much failed the PAT (Don't tell me everyone thinks they did badly blah blah because I genuinely have 0 chance of reaching the interview cut off mark) and I was wondering how good your grades/ bad your mitigating circumstances have to be to get a chance for an interview, I'm predicted A*A*AA and have GCSEs 999997776 so I'm pretty sure I'm not an excellent applicant since it's pretty average for oxford but I had some family issues which meant I literally could sleep for day leading up to the PAT and had to take days off school. I don't want to tell my school this info for no reason and since it's not a medical issue concerning me then I'm not sure if my score would really be reconsidered, what are the chances of me getting an interview invite?
Do you get sent an acknowledgment of the submitted written work bc I submitted mine yesterday morning and now I’m paranoid they haven’t received it!
Original post by hxnnahxx
Do you get sent an acknowledgment of the submitted written work bc I submitted mine yesterday morning and now I’m paranoid they haven’t received it!

My college did send me an acknowledgement email 1 minute after I submitted my written work
Original post by Fleuryildirim
My college did send me an acknowledgement email 1 minute after I submitted my written work

Ahh rip do you think I should send a follow up email?
Ahh rip do you think I should send a follow up email?

Maybe it’s because I sent it off on a Friday (weekday) and you on a Saturday? If I were you, I would wait until Monday bc I think they’ll send it then
Original post by WIGBLOWN
Has anyone here heard back from Warwick/ucl/imperial for biochemistry/biosciences xx really nervous here :frown:
Applied on 13th Oct only heard from Manchester biochem

Yeah - I got an offer from UCL for Biochemistry (MSci). Don't stress over it, they state they wait for a pool of similar candidates before making their decision, so I wouldn't worry.
Original post by Oriiiiro
Hi, I pretty much failed the PAT (Don't tell me everyone thinks they did badly blah blah because I genuinely have 0 chance of reaching the interview cut off mark) and I was wondering how good your grades/ bad your mitigating circumstances have to be to get a chance for an interview, I'm predicted A*A*AA and have GCSEs 999997776 so I'm pretty sure I'm not an excellent applicant since it's pretty average for oxford but I had some family issues which meant I literally could sleep for day leading up to the PAT and had to take days off school. I don't want to tell my school this info for no reason and since it's not a medical issue concerning me then I'm not sure if my score would really be reconsidered, what are the chances of me getting an interview invite?

Each department usually releases an admissions feedback document where they explain how they shortlisted applicants for a particular year of entry - I’ve found one for Physics on Balliol’s site (although the stats seem to be university wide and not just for the college)

I couldn’t find anything specifically about how they’d take into account grades, as they said they primarily use PAT scores, but they wrote that “We took into account medical certificates and letters drawing attention to adversities in applicants’ personal lives that may have affected candidate performance or ability to participate in the tests”, so it’s definitely a good shout to inform the college you applied to of your mitigating circumstances! They even continue “79 applicants below this cut-off whose application forms showed other evidence of excellence or mitigating circumstances were also short-listed”, so definitely hang in there, not all is lost!!!

The full doc is https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/physics_pat_2018_report.pdf
Original post by gretelhouseg
Each department usually releases an admissions feedback document where they explain how they shortlisted applicants for a particular year of entry - I’ve found one for Physics on Balliol’s site (although the stats seem to be university wide and not just for the college)

I couldn’t find anything specifically about how they’d take into account grades, as they said they primarily use PAT scores, but they wrote that “We took into account medical certificates and letters drawing attention to adversities in applicants’ personal lives that may have affected candidate performance or ability to participate in the tests”, so it’s definitely a good shout to inform the college you applied to of your mitigating circumstances! They even continue “79 applicants below this cut-off whose application forms showed other evidence of excellence or mitigating circumstances were also short-listed”, so definitely hang in there, not all is lost!!!

The full doc is https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/physics_pat_2018_report.pdf

Thank you

i didn’t get an acknowledgment email but i emailed the admissions at my college and they said they received it - they probably will have got it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending