The Student Room Group

Have your say: Modified entry requirements for disadvantaged students are 'wrong'

Here's where you can post a comment about our Modified entry requirements for disadvantaged students are wrong, says Lord Winston.

Read the full Modified entry requirements for disadvantaged students are wrong, says Lord Winston article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
He's right, the problems start way before university with the parents' attitudes to education, and having universities lower their boundaries devalues things for everyone. Plus if you do decide to implement it you've got the practical issues of deciding how much a certain individual at a certain school in a certain area has been disadvantaged.

Chinese kids do brilliantly at school are they're not white. The school system isn't failing non-whites, it's your parents who didn't raise you properly if they choose to align you with certain anti-education cultures based on skin colour.
Reply 2
Original post by ThomH97
He's right, the problems start way before university with the parents' attitudes to education, and having universities lower their boundaries devalues things for everyone. Plus if you do decide to implement it you've got the practical issues of deciding how much a certain individual at a certain school in a certain area has been disadvantaged.

Chinese kids do brilliantly at school are they're not white. The school system isn't failing non-whites, it's your parents who didn't raise you properly if they choose to align you with certain anti-education cultures based on skin colour.

A smart employer looking for graduates will naturally take Asians over African Americans as they had higher entry requirements and probably no leg-up as it were.

A misguided attempt at stopping racial hiring, which directly results in justification for racial hiring.
Original post by Jebedee
A smart employer looking for graduates will naturally take Asians over African Americans

Just how many African Americans do you think are competing for jobs in Britain then?
A) Agree with sorting the issues during school, getting rid of sets would be a good start.
B) Plenty of students perform better than A* students at A level.
Someone on my course has had the entry requirements lowered significantly for them because as a child he was in care for a few years. Since then he has lived in two countries and is living with a well off family; access to great education/resources. No reason why he couldn’t achieve AAA.
Reply 6
I think there are entry requirements for a reason, to prove you could cope doing a degree to an acceptable standard. If you let someone in with a disability wayy beliw the requirements, chances are they’re not going to get a good degree. So where would be the logic? He’s right.
Original post by Woksin
I think there are entry requirements for a reason, to prove you could cope doing a degree to an acceptable standard. If you let someone in with a disability wayy beliw the requirements, chances are they’re not going to get a good degree. So where would be the logic? He’s right.

Agreed, a lot of students on my college course need all information spoon fed to them and can’t think critically to save their life,
The problem possibly stems from colleges allowing students with less than desirable GCSEs onto the A Level courses, not enough competition at that level. I go to Greenhead College which is supposedly the best in the area but if someone in the catchment schools gets 5 A-C they are allowed in.
Original post by Good bloke
Just how many African Americans do you think are competing for jobs in Britain then?

The African Americans who work in UK would mainly be university educated middle class people on higher incomes than the average British person a good imported.
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke

I wasn't aware that the practice of modified entry by race was practiced in Britain. If so that's news to me .
if a student is struggling to meet the standard expected of them, you have two options:

1, lower the standard expected of them - this is the lazy parent option, carried out by people who think they are being compassionate, but actually are hurting the student. Its a short-term solution that avoids the problem rather than solving it. In the long run it leaves the student less educated than they should be

2, raise standard of the student by solving their educational problems - this is the traditional approach, its not fun.. it won't often make the student happy, and it will require a lot of hard work from both the educator and student, and it involves confronting serious problems with both. Its painful in the short-term, but kind and beneficial in the long-term.

Parents, and society as a whole used to understand the benefits of 2, but these days people are too focused on feelings/happiness/short-term reactions, to manage 2. So instead they look to the lazy and easier option of 1, hoping it will give them a shortcut to solving the problem.
Original post by Jebedee
I wasn't aware that the practice of modified entry by race was practiced in Britain. If so that's news to me .

Yeah, this definitely does not happen explicitly as it would be illegal. Winston may be alluding to USA where (amazingly) this is done. Subject to a lawsuit at the moment though.

But lower offers for poor students is widespread. Some also give lower offers for state school vs private school candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending