The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by Limitless
1.Yes
2.My sixth form do a venture scheme so yes. I'm not too sure about other colleges and sixth forms.

Just arrange it yourself, ring up the local hospital, hospice, G.P's. Do it in the holidays.

Thanks, does it matter at all that I'm 15? I know most hospitals/GPs only take in 16+, but I mean does it hinder me in any other way?
Original post by Lazy-
Thanks, does it matter at all that I'm 15? I know most hospitals/GPs only take in 16+, but I mean does it hinder me in any other way?

Yeah it does matter I tried to get some work experience in a GP when I was 15 they wrote back saying you have to be 16. So I did it in a pharmacy.
Reply 4182
Yeah it does matter I tried to get some work experience in a GP when I was 15 they wrote back saying you have to be 16. So I did it in a pharmacy.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info. Lol, that rhymed ^^
I did work experience last year in year 10... School arranged it for me at a GP. They only let me do admin work at the reception... It was sooo boring and the only thing I learned was: I do not ever want to be a receptionist. :P Most sixth forms have voluntary schemes and work experience programmes as enrichment so you should be able to do it in sixth... Also i'm going to try and apply for a hospital on my own in summer holidays...
Reply 4184
Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
I did work experience last year in year 10... School arranged it for me at a GP. They only let me do admin work at the reception... It was sooo boring and the only thing I learned was: I do not ever want to be a receptionist. :P Most sixth forms have voluntary schemes and work experience programmes as enrichment so you should be able to do it in sixth... Also i'm going to try and apply for a hospital on my own in summer holidays...

Good luck with finding work experience! I know I'll need some lol
Original post by xXxAthenaxXx

Some GP's might let you but you would just be doing paperwork. But you could use the opportunity to get close to some doctors and ask them if they will let you shadow them or just talk to them about the profession in general.
I went for a job interview as a Lollipop Man.

Apparently, hanging around school kids with sweets in my pocket is not relevant work experience.
Reply 4187
Original post by Lagunabeans911
I went for a job interview as a Lollipop Man.

Apparently, hanging around school kids with sweets in my pocket is not relevant work experience.

What? That's nonsense! Everyone knows being a Lollipop Man means requires incredible surgical skills and a huge arsenal of medical knowledge at your disposal!
Some GP's might let you but you would just be doing paperwork. But you could use the opportunity to get close to some doctors and ask them if they will let you shadow them or just talk to them about the profession in general.

Yeah one of my classmates did it at a GP too, a different one... She had to do paperwork too but she got to sit in with the nurse and watch injections too so unfair :frown:
Reply 4189
I need some advice. When I write to GPs requesting work experience, is it better to contact the Practice Manager, even if they're not a GP, or contact one of the GPs themselves?
Original post by Danyarl
I need some advice. When I write to GPs requesting work experience, is it better to contact the Practice Manager, even if they're not a GP, or contact one of the GPs themselves?

Practice Manager. Their job is to arrange things such as students on placement, if you write to the GP you end up with a needless extra step.
Reply 4191
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Practice Manager. Their job is to arrange things such as students on placement, if you write to the GP you end up with a needless extra step.

Thank you!
applied 2009, entry 2010
6 months shadowing a psychiatrist 3-4 days a week. inpatients/outpatients/academic commitments/meetings
Trained as a samaritan. 8 weeks training (twice a week for 3 hours), 3 times a fortnight commitment on the phones (4-6 hours per shift). 3 months experience prior to med school application.
3 months volunteering in Peru, various projects
Original post by Zakadoh
applied 2009, entry 2010
6 months shadowing a psychiatrist 3-4 days a week. inpatients/outpatients/academic commitments/meetings
Trained as a samaritan. 8 weeks training (twice a week for 3 hours), 3 times a fortnight commitment on the phones (4-6 hours per shift). 3 months experience prior to med school application.
3 months volunteering in Peru, various projects

How did you get to shadow a psychiatrist??
Did you get to sit in when they were with patients etc. ?
I was thinking about trying to psychiatrists but discarded the idea as I thought there was no way it would be allowed! :tongue:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
How did you get to shadow a psychiatrist??
Did you get to sit in when they were with patients etc. ?
I was thinking about trying to psychiatrists but discarded the idea as I thought there was no way it would be allowed! :tongue:

Yeah I literally did everything he did. I spent so much time with him that we ended up being pretty good friends, which is how I ended up doing it for so long. Originally I just went online and searched for consultant psychiatrists in my area and wrote a letter asking for a shadowing placement. Within a couple of weeks I received a reply saying that I had been accepted for a month on a provisional basis pending finding a psychiatrist that was available and willing. After the initial month it went to 3 and then eventually to 6. I was really lucky that the guy I was shadowing was proper sound, but I can highly recommend it if you can manage to sort something out. It was really interesting. Especially on the hospital wards where the patients had severe mental illness. Ill never look at mental health the same way again.
I have done a week at the GP
And I have a week at the path labs booked for July
Currently awaiting a reply from my local care home for volunteering
I have done 3 years volunteering at Guides, and still going strong :bubbles:
Wondering if it would be worth trying to shadow a doctor in October half term, bearing in mind I am in year 12 at the moment :smile:
Original post by JustChillin'
I have done a week at the GP
And I have a week at the path labs booked for July
Currently awaiting a reply from my local care home for volunteering
I have done 3 years volunteering at Guides, and still going strong :bubbles:
Wondering if it would be worth trying to shadow a doctor in October half term, bearing in mind I am in year 12 at the moment :smile:

The more the better I suppose but you have more than enough as it stands. They key will be ensuring that you reflect well on those experiences.

There is no target number of days that you have to reach :smile:
i'm collecting a host of many mobile numbers to different GP'S in my town

shall i ring each building, and enquire about any oppurtunity

similar, how do i ask my own gps?

i think they don't like me, because i've been ill/abit panicky due to my illness, they may have bad reserved feelings to me -.-
Reply 4198
Just ring them all and ask, same with your GP. The worst they can say is no.
Original post by sixthformer
i'm collecting a host of many mobile numbers to different GP'S in my town

shall i ring each building, and enquire about any oppurtunity

similar, how do i ask my own gps?

i think they don't like me, because i've been ill/abit panicky due to my illness, they may have bad reserved feelings to me -.-

Don't phone them first. Email or even better write a letter and post it to the practice manager explaining who you are and why you want to shadow a GP. Be very polite.

I would avoid your own surgery if you can....might be a bit odd dealing with people who treat you, might meet friends etc

Latest

Trending

Trending