The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eeb9
Hi does anybody have any experience in gaining work experience as an adult? the NHS only seems to offer help for school pupils. I was told I would need to self find my placement, I was thinking about visiting my local hospital and trying to find somebody to ask. I am 26 and currently changing my career so need experience for my CV/college application.

When I was doing my ophthalmology rotation there was a GEM applicant doing work experience there. He seemed part of some scheme of widening access to medical school. It was in Derby, East Midlands.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Thank you for your reply.When you wear scrubs,is it that blue or green t shirt thing and the trousers?Do you wear a t shirt or anything under the scrub t shirt thing.

You can do, but for theatres make sure it's a sleeveless vest or the sleeves are shorter than the scrub top. You don't want any "outside clothes" sticking out from underneath and you also should have bare arms.
Original post by Asklepios
You can do, but for theatres make sure it's a sleeveless vest or the sleeves are shorter than the scrub top. You don't want any "outside clothes" sticking out from underneath and you also should have bare arms.

So I can wear a vest underneath,that's fine?What if the top of the vest sticks out,because scrubs have a v neck or do most not have a v neck?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
So I can wear a vest underneath,that's fine?What if the top of the vest sticks out,because scrubs have a v neck or do most not have a v neck?

They have a v-neck, but you can probably get away with that - just not long sleeve arms!

Personally though, I've never worn anything underneath and never been cold in theatre.
Original post by dkhh2
Hi all,
I'm a Doctor working in south Wales. Happy to take year 12 students who are looking for shadowing opportunity.
Message me if interested. Thanks.

Hi i am a year 12 student seeking work experience during my Summer vacations. Do you have any availability?
Does anyone know if you’re allowed to shadow surgeons when you’re 16? I live in Scotland if that makes any difference.
Original post by brionyw:)
Does anyone know if you’re allowed to shadow surgeons when you’re 16? I live in Scotland if that makes any difference.

Yeah, in Scotland the age limit for any hospital work experience should be 16 (apart from in children’s hospitals).
Im currently applying for work experience, and have been asked to complete an application form.
I have to choose two departments where i would prefer to have to work experience.
One of the questions is "What do you know about your chosen area(s)"
Does anyone know what i could write for this?
I have been volunteering with Mencap for the past 6 months (will be almost a year by the time of application and a year and a half by the time of the interviews if I get that far), I have volunteered as a Dance Leader for 2 years with a local primary school where I (plus a few others) had to lead a class of 30 children for 2 hours on a fortnightly basis and I also have 2 days shadowing an anaesthetist where I learnt so much about what being a doctor involves. I think this should be fine in terms of voluntary work but I'm a bit short on work experience (although I do have lots to say about it...). I hope this shows enough commitment for med schools....
Original post by K8e.H
Yeah, in Scotland the age limit for any hospital work experience should be 16 (apart from in children’s hospitals).

Last year I did a week of work experience with a paediatric neurologist and I was fifteen. I found it strange how that was allowed but regardless I enjoyed it and it was an invaluable experience. I think if you know any doctors or anyone in the healthcare profession you're likely to get a place. :biggrin:
Original post by johnproctor99
Last year I did a week of work experience with a paediatric neurologist and I was fifteen. I found it strange how that was allowed but regardless I enjoyed it and it was an invaluable experience.

I'm exactly the same! I did a week last year with a urology surgeon, and got to go into theatre, when I was 15 (although the surgeon was convinced I was almost 18 - but then he also thought I was called Laura...)
Peadiatric neurology is so cool! You're soo lucky. I live in Edinburgh, and I really wanted to get a week in Sick Kids, but they say you have to be 18 (I won't even be 18 when I would start the medicine course - if I get in!). I'm also really interested in neurology - what kind of things did you get to see? :smile:

I think if you know any doctors or anyone in the healthcare profession you're likely to get a place. :biggrin:

Yeah, I only got mine because my friend's mum is high up in the NHS and felt guilty that my friend had done two, and I was struggling to get one because I was 15.
@K8e.H

First day it was a ward round and mostly clinics. The second day my consultant put me in theatre to see a craniotomy and biopsy of a tumour - it was great! Most of the days were spent in clinics but nonetheless it was really interesting. There was a clinic that was maybe 5 hours long and it was with patients who have muscle wasting diseases and likewise. Another clinic was a headache clinic which was cool because I had never really thought into headaches that much. The final day was the grand round and it was just really enlightening to chat to all of the patients. What highers are you sitting?
(edited 5 years ago)
@K8e.H

First day it was a ward round and mostly clinics. The second day my consultant put me in theatre to see a craniotomy and biopsy of a tumour - it was great! Most of the days were spent in clinics but nonetheless it was really interesting. There was a clinic that was maybe 5 hours long and it was with patients who have muscle wasting diseases and likewise. Another clinic was a headache clinic which was cool because I had never really thought into headaches that much. The final day was the grand round and it was just really enlightening to chat to all of the patients. What highers are you sitting?

So jealous, I would kill to see a craniotomy !!!!
I’m just doing the usual english, maths, biology, chemistry and physics.
I'm hoping to start off in a pharmacy working in pharmacy service, either that or get a HCA role locally that will fit around my study hours. Along side that I'm also hoping to volunteer for a charity who work with autistic children.

Will this look OK on my application? I'm entering on an access course in 2 years time and I'm concerned that it wont be enough.

If I have enough time, I'm hoping to also volunteer for St Johns Ambulance too.
Original post by ACollins9
I'm hoping to start off in a pharmacy working in pharmacy service, either that or get a HCA role locally that will fit around my study hours. Along side that I'm also hoping to volunteer for a charity who work with autistic children.

Will this look OK on my application? I'm entering on an access course in 2 years time and I'm concerned that it wont be enough.

If I have enough time, I'm hoping to also volunteer for St Johns Ambulance too.

HCA job >>>> pharmacy job.

You will ultimately need some medical shadowing too for when you apply to medical school.
Original post by Democracy
HCA job >>>> pharmacy job.

You will ultimately need some medical shadowing too for when you apply to medical school.

Definitely agreed, although finding HCA roles I can get to locally seems to be tricky but I'l definitely keep an eye out.

RE shadowing, is that something I start looking into *after* my access course?
Hi everyone!

I did three months of work experience in a care home at the end of Year 10, so do you think this is okay or will I have to complete more? At the moment, I am in Year 11 doing GCSEs so thankfully I have a lot of time to organise further work experience!

Also, is a dental surgery a good form of work experience? I was unsure because although the work environment is good for me, I feel as if it's leaning more towards 'Dentistry' rather than 'Medicine', if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be helpful!!

Thanks
Original post by OfficialFahad
Hi everyone!

I did three months of work experience in a care home at the end of Year 10, so do you think this is okay or will I have to complete more? At the moment, I am in Year 11 doing GCSEs so thankfully I have a lot of time to organise further work experience!

Also, is a dental surgery a good form of work experience? I was unsure because although the work environment is good for me, I feel as if it's leaning more towards 'Dentistry' rather than 'Medicine', if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be helpful!!

Thanks

The care home experience is very good but you should aim to also get some medical work experience at a GP surgery or in hospital.
I'd love to do it now! Just thought I'd have to be doing the access course right now to do it. Maybe I should get in touch with some doctors in my area?
Work experience can be quite stressful to obtain but you don't need to worry too much. You do need at least a couple days at a hospital which you can organise yourself by contacting hospitals or otherwise your school should be able to organise it for you. I only spent two days at a hospital and didn't mention how long for but wrote about what I saw and learnt from my experience. Care homes etc are good but don't worry about spending months there just for the sake of being able to say it, spend a week or two. Interviewers aren't looking for students who spent the longest at the places, rather, they're looking for students who took something away from their experience whether its a day or a year. Also, I've got an offer next year and one of the reasons I was successful was due to the huge amount of help the tutors at Carpe Diem Scholars gave me. It's a company run by medical students who offer taster courses which are amazing and offer a great insight but they also really help with your application - helped me tonnes with interviews, my personal statement and applying in general. I would really recommend going to one of their courses if you're serious about applying.

Latest

Trending

Trending