The Student Room Group

Bad social anxiety but only around older colleagues

I have terrible social anxiety and I’m only 19. I started my first office job and have had social anxiety. I’m scared to go to meetings and speak up. I have a meeting tomorrow and I’m considering calling in sick. The thing is, there are other colleagues at my workplace who are 21/22 who I easily get along with despite meeting them 3 months ago. However, the colleagues in my department are all 20 years older than me and I am so intimidated by them. I feel like they see me as incompetent and unknowledgeable I get so shy around them all. I find it hard to speak up. I’ve been at this job for around 3 months now and I still feel so anxious all the time
Original post by Anonymous
I have terrible social anxiety and I’m only 19. I started my first office job and have had social anxiety. I’m scared to go to meetings and speak up. I have a meeting tomorrow and I’m considering calling in sick. The thing is, there are other colleagues at my workplace who are 21/22 who I easily get along with despite meeting them 3 months ago. However, the colleagues in my department are all 20 years older than me and I am so intimidated by them. I feel like they see me as incompetent and unknowledgeable I get so shy around them all. I find it hard to speak up. I’ve been at this job for around 3 months now and I still feel so anxious all the time

Congratulations on your job. Sorry to hear of your social anxiety, but know that it is common to feel like an impostor or that you don't know enough at your new job. I am sure that it can be overwhelming at times. The good thing about your elder colleagues is that they have more experience, but it can also be intimidating. I would suggest that you ask questions of them and ask what you can learn from them. If your anxiety is too overwhelming you can always try talking to a counselor or your GP.Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest