The Student Room Group

Blackfishing - pretending to be black - cultural appreciation or appropriation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
That is what integration is: the newcomers learning the ways of those who are already there and assimilating into the new culture.

You must have gone to the new place for a reason, and it certainly wasn't to take your old culture with you and induce the locals to live as you used to live. This is especially true if you have come in from a failed or failing state, or if you are an economic migrant trying to better yourself. If you want those around you to live as you used to live then the best place to do that is where you came from.

Obviously your new neighbours may be interested in learning about aspects of immigrants' old cultures, but expecting them to conform to them in any way is a big no-no. This applies just as much to expatriate Britons, of course.

I use the word 'you' very generally, of course.

No it's not a one way street. the UK invited skilled labourers into it's economy to sustain the nhs. it invites nurses and engineers. it invites cab drivers and shop owners. it benefits from migration hugely. there is no moral imperative for immigrants to integrate with your country when 'you' benefit just as much as 'we' do. it should be an equal conversation where the positives of both cultures ate embraced and the negatives let go.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Andrew97
Everybody in the U.K. is treated equally so not sure why you are bringing that up,

I have no interest in going to eid.

well **** your ****ing village fetes then too.
Original post by zhog
5b7efd9619000014035027fd (1).jpeg

Wouldn't get away with it these days, would he? Mind you, I never got round to asking a black person if they found him funny.

Why not? The character was a white man who identified as, or pretended to be, a black man. It seems entirely topical now, more so even.
Original post by punkdilla
the negatives let go.

So you intend to leave Islam then?
well **** your ****ing village fetes then too.

What?
Why not? The character was a white man who identified as, or pretended to be, a black man. It seems entirely topical now, more so even.

And why did he pretend to be a black man?
So you intend to leave Islam then?

i already have bruv, tho islam isnt inherently evil

I'd ask if youre gonna let go of being a misogynistic piece of racist **** but I'm not dumb enough to think all white people are like that so I won't.
Original post by Andrew97
What?

(Original post by Johnny English)
Yet another "wow is me " type of post involving race .

Jesus wept ......what's this bloody obsession with racism all of the yes . I haven't seen a coloured face in days but so what ?
If you spent less time fretting over pointless rubbish and concentrated more at something constructive then you would do yourself a favour .
People are sick and tired of reading about such twaddle . Get out of the Big city environment and get life ....buy a dog ...walk the penine way ...visit a working mens club in stoke ....go to a steam fair ...perhaps take in a summer fete and well dressing ....sample Morris dancing ....just try and integrate more with the locals ....you'll love it .

thought you were the same person as the guy I was responding to initially.
Original post by zhog
And why did he pretend to be a black man?

The character did so because he thought he was a supposedly streetwise gang leader who believed himself to be the voice of youth (or 'yoof', as he had it). He viewed the world largely in stereotypes .

Cohen intended the character to satirise the idiots that do what the character does and saw its obvious comic potential.
we are here legally and it is our country just as much as your country. this is not your country we live here together. if you want integration you gotta stop thinking you own this land and get that chip off your shoulder laddy

Just because you have a British passport it doesn't mean you can claim ownership.
Original post by Jebedee
Just because you have a British passport it doesn't mean you can claim ownership.

Bringing a dog to a stable doesn't make it a horse, I believe the old saying went.

Yes, if you have a passport, you live here and are british, that's the whole point of a passport. I own this land just as much as you do.

And please don't compare my people to dogs, that's insulting and i'm trying to be cordial but it's ****ing rude and I'm tempted to be rude back.
Yes, if you have a passport, you live here and are british, that's the whole point of a passport. I own this land just as much as you do.

And please don't compare my people to dogs, that's insulting and i'm trying to be cordial but it's ****ing rude and I'm tempted to be rude back.

No, you're again confusing the meaning of citizenship.

I can get a Chinese passport but does that make me Chinese? Do you think anyone in China will think I am Chinese or take it lightly if I started claiming some kind of rights over the land? I doubt it.

Get offended if you like, I don't care. If you can't understand the concept of hypothetical parallels maybe debate isn't for you.
Original post by Jebedee
No, you're again confusing the meaning of citizenship.

I can get a Chinese passport but does that make me Chinese? Do you think anyone in China will think I am Chinese or take it lightly if I started claiming some kind of rights over the land? I doubt it.

Get offended if you like, I don't care. If you can't understand the concept of hypothetical parallels maybe debate isn't for you.

Bruv, just because the chinese think a certain way doesn't mean they're right. The chinese have concentration camps and you gonna use them as an example of moral standards.
Bruv, just because the chinese think a certain way doesn't mean they're right. The chinese have concentration camps and you gonna use them as an example of moral standards.

You can replace Chinese in that example with almost any nationality in the world and get the same result. Feel free to deny it but let's try some out and see how they sound.
Original post by Jebedee
You can replace Chinese in that example with almost any nationality in the world and get the same result. Feel free to deny it but let's try some out and see how they sound.

That's all well and good, people from any nationality can be stupid.
maybe the locals should integrate with the minorities? come to our festivals, eat our food, learn our lamguage

Who said that they don't? Granted, learning your language is a bit too far. As a minority here (and having lived in other Asian countries where I was a minority too) I can say that British people have been very interested in wanting to know more, including going to cultural festivals with me :smile: Maybe it's because I show interest as well and they reciprocate?
Original post by CityofMud
Who said that they don't? Granted, learning your language is a bit too far. As a minority here (and having lived in other Asian countries where I was a minority too) I can say that British people have been very interested in wanting to know more, including going to cultural festivals with me :smile: Maybe it's because I show interest as well and they reciprocate?

That's great, i'm glad you do that, if you see my other comments, I was trying to be careful to not paint all white people as the same and I was responding to the idea that immigrants need to integrate and make more of an effort, which is a ******** assumption.
That's all well and good, people from any nationality can be stupid.

Well considering that the vast majority will disagree with you. Perhaps there is another now obvious suggestion on where the stupidity lies...
Original post by Jebedee
Well considering that the vast majority will disagree with you. Perhaps there is another now obvious suggestion on where the stupidity lies...

The majority at one point thought slavery was ok. Being the majority does not make one right.
No it's not a one way street. the UK invited skilled labourers into it's economy to sustain the nhs. it invites nurses and engineers. it invites cab drivers and shop owners. it benefits from migration hugely. there is no moral imperative for immigrants to integrate with your country when 'you' benefit just as much as 'we' do. it should be an equal conversation where the positives of both cultures ate embraced and the negatives let go.

This attitude implies that the cultures are compatible and that what is a 'negative' is clearly defined, which it's not. For example drinking is a sin for some cultures and they don't even approve of alcohol being sold openly- wouldn't it be sensible to keep your mouth shut and just not drink yourself if you moved to Britain from such a culture? In the same way if I moved to a place where drinking in public was frowned upon I would definitely not do it even if it was 'my' culture to drink. I of course agree that nobody has the right to tell anyone to do anything else, e.g. if you don't drink nobody should ostracize you or force you to do so. But equally if you move to a country where drinking is commonplace it's wrong for you to judge its people as savages, just because it doesn't align with your values. If you hate it so much then why did you go there in the first place? Thankfully most people I've met are quite understanding, but always annoys me when people who move here proceed to criticize the locals and refuse to go to any event that serves alcohol. What makes you such a special snowflake?

*alcohol is just an example btw
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending