The Student Room Group

Should you miss school because of mental health conditions?

Do you think it's okay to miss a day of school/college because you're having a bad day with a mental health condition like anxiety or depression?

Sometimes I wake up horribly anxious or totally unmotivated for the day, but is that a good enough reason to stay home?

Just wondering what people's opinions are :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The answer is no, just go to school anyway and admit you have a problem. You won't be expelled or suspended or whatever, your school is required to help.
Different people deal with things differently. For example, for some people, they might find that going to school or college or just being around people helps them feel more “”normal”” and staying at home makes the condition worse
Reply 3
Original post by hello_shawn
The answer is no, just go to school anyway and admit you have a problem. You won't be expelled or suspended or whatever, your school is required to help.

The college already knows. I generally do go in. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think it's okay to miss a day of school/college because you're having a bad day with a mental health condition like anxiety or depression?

Sometimes I wake up horribly anxious or totally unmotivated for the day, but is that a good enough reason to stay home?

Just wondering what people's opinions are :smile:

Get yourself into school. Being at home will only make you feel bad and it will get you into bad habits. Routine is better for anxiety and depression. I took myself into uni after I had a heart attack and was very down thinking it was over for me and I would have to drop out. You pick yourself up and get stuck in and you will feel better when you make the effort.
No.

People in the past were fine. What’s going to happen when you start working??

You gotta push yourself
Reply 6
No.

People in the past were fine. What’s going to happen when you start working??

You gotta push yourself

I had a part-time job and I always went in, even on my bad days. But sometimes I had to stop myself from crying and spent my breaks alone in the loos... which is silly, I know. I understand you can't just pick and choose when you go into work though.
I had a part-time job and I always went in, even on my bad days. But sometimes I had to stop myself from crying and spent my breaks alone in the loos... which is silly, I know. I understand you can't just pick and choose when you go into work though.

I understand that I had to stop myself crying on my work experience and stayed the whole time in the disabled toilet until my episode blew over

Tbh helps me control things and rs good practice I guess ....
Reply 8
I understand that I had to stop myself crying on my work experience and stayed the whole time in the disabled toilet until my episode blew over

Tbh helps me control things and rs good practice I guess ....

That is true... glad someone's been through the same thing :smile:
That is true... glad someone's been through the same thing :smile:

What would you do if you were at home all day?
Original post by Seamus123
What would you do if you were at home all day?

If I do miss college, I email the teachers, ask for the work and do it :smile:
If I do miss college, I email the teachers, ask for the work and do it :smile:

Sometimes, depression and anxiety can be physically debilitating to the point where you may not be able to get into college, but if you can work at home it’s good.
You will break up for Christmas next week, so the pressure will be off.
Personally, it it’s really bad then don’t go in, for a day. Especially if you don’t want to be surrounded by people. But like others have said, you have to be stronger and push yourself.
Original post by Seamus123
Sometimes, depression and anxiety can be physically debilitating to the point where you may not be able to get into college, but if you can work at home it’s good.
You will break up for Christmas next week, so the pressure will be off.

I broke up on Friday hurrah, but sadly I have my ALevel mocks straight after Christmas, so I'm going to be working all throughout the holidays. But it's okay, I'm glad to be home. :biggrin:
I broke up on Friday hurrah, but sadly I have my ALevel mocks straight after Christmas, so I'm going to be working all throughout the holidays. But it's okay, I'm glad to be home. :biggrin:

Enjoy the holidays and don’t get too stressed.
Reply 15
the problem is imho, if you allow yourself to take one day off and it makes you feel better, you'll feel tempted to take another day off and another, and then it only gets harder to go back to school.

what's causing your anxiety? is it ongoing or just when certain things come up?
Original post by Joleee
the problem is imho, if you allow yourself to take one day off and it makes you feel better, you'll feel tempted to take another day off and another, and then it only gets harder to go back to school.

what's causing your anxiety? is it ongoing or just when certain things come up?

Generally, it's just an ongoing presence, sometimes it's worse and causes physical symptoms, and sometimes it just acts as background noise. I guess if I had something like a speech or an exam it would be worse, but I obviously force myself to go in for those types of occasions!
Reply 17
Generally, it's just an ongoing presence, sometimes it's worse and causes physical symptoms, and sometimes it just acts as background noise. I guess if I had something like a speech or an exam it would be worse, but I obviously force myself to go in for those types of occasions!

i know what it's like (5 years now, every day. so long i don't remember what it's like to not have it).

if it's been a while for you, it might be worth speaking to your GP? she might be able to talk you through some options. everyone has anxiety, but if it's getting in the way of 'normal' behaviour (sleeping, eating, going to school) then i think that's the next step.
Original post by Joleee
i know what it's like (5 years now, every day. so long i don't remember what it's like to not have it).

if it's been a while for you, it might be worth speaking to your GP? she might be able to talk you through some options. everyone has anxiety, but if it's getting in the way of 'normal' behaviour (sleeping, eating, going to school) then i think that's the next step.

I was on antidepressants which also helped to relieve anxiety for two years but came off them recently. My counsellor believes it could be GAD, and has given me a load of techniques to try and eliminate anxiety, but if they don't help I may return to the GP. Thanks very much :smile:
Depending on your attendance throughout the year, yes. If taking one day off helps you to refocus your mind and therefore be more motivated when you return to school then it's worth it. If you can, I’d spend some the day catching up on homework/revising so that you don’t feel like you're behind or wasted a day, but if you're feeling awful use the day to practise some self care and relax. Obviously don't make this a habit though!

Quick Reply

Latest