The Student Room Group

Extreme Paranoia

I am currently going through severe anxiety but I also get very bad paranoia, which I am currently getting checked up on. I've been told the anxiety could be causing it but I think it is the other way round. My symptoms make me sound crazy though:

1) When I am alone and isolated I often here things which do not exists like shouting and arguing coming from parts of my house.

2) I keep thinking that I am being spied on, phones tapped, hidden camera, people watching and listening to me.

3) Some times see people looking at me and think they are going to harm me and get really anxious about it. Also keep thinking strangers are talking about me and judging me.

4) Some times can't sleep or concentrate cos of paranoid thoughts like millions of things going through my head at once.

5) On really bad days I feel really out of touch and kinda dream like, and that the people around me aren't real even though they are.

Has anyone else experience anything similar or know what this could possibly be?
I had all of those symptoms as a teenager in the bucketload.

My anxiety levels are lower now and I don't have 1, 2 any more, I have 3,4 and 5 and are milder than they used to be.

I didn't trust the doctors and various therapists/counsellors I saw so always laid back on telling them everything. I always got told that I have 'mild' anxiety and that I'd grow out of it, get good grades at school, get away from my family into a more supportive environment and things will be good. Had a bit of an epiphany more recently when I finally had a doctor tell me I have 'moderate' anxiety as of now. Woah. If that's moderate, what the heck did I have before?

I'd say it's severe anxiety, but what do I know?
I had these issues too, I would strongly advise you go to your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I had all of those symptoms as a teenager in the bucketload.

My anxiety levels are lower now and I don't have 1, 2 any more, I have 3,4 and 5 and are milder than they used to be.

I didn't trust the doctors and various therapists/counsellors I saw so always laid back on telling them everything. I always got told that I have 'mild' anxiety and that I'd grow out of it, get good grades at school, get away from my family into a more supportive environment and things will be good. Had a bit of an epiphany more recently when I finally had a doctor tell me I have 'moderate' anxiety as of now. Woah. If that's moderate, what the heck did I have before?

I'd say it's severe anxiety, but what do I know?

Have you ever had thoughts that someone in your family is trying to harm you? I mean I feel bad saying this, but sometimes I have had thoughts that one of my parents has poisoned my food they prepared. It makes me sound crazy and ungrateful but I just don't know what to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
I had these issues too, I would strongly advise you go to your GP.

I saw them and they said severe anxiety but they need more discussion to see if it could be anything else.
Reply 5
I should probably mention that sometime I feel completely unmotivated to do anything, including just have conversations with friends.
I saw them and they said severe anxiety but they need more discussion to see if it could be anything else.

I would go back or chase up the ‘more discussion’, I really would. A lot of what you said, including unmotivation could be a mental health issue other than anxiety
Reply 7
Original post by Noodlzzz
I would go back or chase up the ‘more discussion’, I really would. A lot of what you said, including unmotivation could be a mental health issue other than anxiety

do you have any idea of what these symptoms could point to?
do you have any idea of what these symptoms could point to?

I’m really not qualified to say, but for me these issues led to a diagnosis of psychosis
It sounds like very bad anxiety but these are also mild symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. Have you mentioned the hearing things that aren’t there to the doctors ?
Have you ever had thoughts that someone in your family is trying to harm you? I mean I feel bad saying this, but sometimes I have had thoughts that one of my parents has poisoned my food they prepared. It makes me sound crazy and ungrateful but I just don't know what to do.

Yes. On the poisoning one I also had it on some friends when I ate there particularly. Seems completely illogical now. I used to genuinely believe that a neighbour's van was following me to college and had a telephoto lens in it and was spying on me.

As another person has already posted, it needs proper follow up because the symptoms could also be schizotypal personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, major depressive disorder and various extreme manifestations of anxiety. And no I'm not qualified to say either. Just a tiny bit of experience of these ideas being explored in me and one parent.
It sounds like very bad anxiety but these are also mild symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. Have you mentioned the hearing things that aren’t there to the doctors ?

No I was afraid to mention it because I am afraid of what the doctors diagnosis would be and what they would think of me. I'm trying to go back but appointments take so long.
I am currently going through severe anxiety but I also get very bad paranoia, which I am currently getting checked up on. I've been told the anxiety could be causing it but I think it is the other way round. My symptoms make me sound crazy though:

1) When I am alone and isolated I often here things which do not exists like shouting and arguing coming from parts of my house.

2) I keep thinking that I am being spied on, phones tapped, hidden camera, people watching and listening to me.

3) Some times see people looking at me and think they are going to harm me and get really anxious about it. Also keep thinking strangers are talking about me and judging me.

4) Some times can't sleep or concentrate cos of paranoid thoughts like millions of things going through my head at once.

5) On really bad days I feel really out of touch and kinda dream like, and that the people around me aren't real even though they are.

Has anyone else experience anything similar or know what this could possibly be?

I had that and then it got even worse and I started having panick attacks. I found a few things help: vitamins, lots of sleep and water, health diet, exercise, (main cure) meditation.
Original post by Gedville
I had that and then it got even worse and I started having panick attacks. I found a few things help: vitamins, lots of sleep and water, health diet, exercise, (main cure) meditation.

The help center at my college listed the same things you have and I have been trying to improve upon them. But so far I've been getting around 8- 10 hours sleep because of holidays, go on regular walks and bike rides and been drinking around 8 cups of water a day. However my brain still feels all over the place and all I want to do is sit alone in my room.
Keep chasing up the Doctor and be honest about how you feel as it sounds like it’s distressing you a lot . I don’t know how your GP surgery works but you can often get urgent appointments if you need them and they can see you the same day or next day at least you can at my surgery but I dunno how it works generally

Hope you feel better soon .
(edited 5 years ago)
The help center at my college listed the same things you have and I have been trying to improve upon them. But so far I've been getting around 8- 10 hours sleep because of holidays, go on regular walks and bike rides and been drinking around 8 cups of water a day. However my brain still feels all over the place and all I want to do is sit alone in my room.

Trust me I had the same aswell, all that is most effective after you start meditating. I'd recommend going to a group/private meditation class (which is what I did after trying to meditate myself) so that you can learn how to do it yourself, then you can make the classes less frequent and meditate by yourself at home. I promise you, when you get the technique it will be so easy to ground yourself and calm yourself down

Quick Reply

Latest