The Student Room Group

Merry Christmas! And remember to celebrate Jesus Christ and Christian values

Jesus was a homeless Palestinian Jew. The “no room at the inn” story has some rather modern obvious implications that somehow people will again willfully invert. Jesus literally instructed people to sell their belongings, give the money to the poor and live a humble life in poverty. Good Christians are supposed to sacrifice a good life for themselves to help the poor. Heroin addicts. Prostitutes. And, yes, even "illegal" immigrants and muslims. Those are the 'lepers, thieves and whores' today, in terms of how society treats them. And Jesus demands that you care for them.

If you have a problem with that, you’re anti-Christian.

So many people I see claiming that they want to preserve Europe's supposed "Christian culture" by turning away millions of desperate people fleeing war, or similarly justifying sidelining Islam and hating on muslims. Anyone with any knowledge of Jesus's philosophy must know that that is a lie. Jesus would be horrified by the things his supposed believers are doing in his name.

Something to think about this Christmas.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngeryPenguin

Jesus was a homeless Palestinian Jew.

Homeless, no. If, for the sake of argument, the tale of the fictional census were true, his parents were merely travellers and clearly had a permanent home. As an adult he was a possibly itinerant preacher by choice. Not exactly archetypally homeless.

He was also a charlatan, preying on the superstitious beliefs of those he preached to, just like modern spiritualists and so-called mediums.

As for being anti-Christian, all superstitious beliefs institutionalised as religions are the scourge of the world. The sooner they die out the better.

As an atheist I celebrate the period that was appropriated by Christians from pagans and am only too happy to wassail.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Onde
I will certainly remember Christian values as I watch most of humanity burn in hell.

Sadly much of humanity may well doom itself to hell if it continues to act with such dispassion towards other human suffering.
Merry Christmas to everyone on here, whether you believe in any religion or not. Peace and love to you all x
Reply 6
I can't turn water into wine, but I can turn tenners into Guinness.

Have a good one, all.
Rather an obvious attempt at baiting fundamentalists (10/10) and giving preachy bible bashing religious hardliners a dose of their own medicine (8/10).
Historically using religion as a smokescreen has never boded well in this country- whether for the purpose of enforcing personal doctrinal agendas, silencing dissenters with alternative viewpoints or to gain a political advantage in terms of power/mass support.
I suppose therein lies the reason why we have such a strong secular influence on mainstream popular culture, legislation curtailing the role of religious doctrine/organisational involvement outside of the private sphere and a distinct power separation of church-state.

I do agree with emphasizing the humanitarian aspect of Jesus, his emphasis upon secular mercy and the fact that he prioritized such values ahead of traditional religious doctrines.
But this is still one of the most factually unsound, historically inaccurate and theologically selective commentaries I have ever seen.
The inept comparison of the followers of Islam with "lepers, thieves and whores" is absolutely revolting.
That line has generated distress in four coworkers from all different Islamic sects and would be more suited to a Britain First propaganda video.
Original post by londonmyst
The inept comparison of the followers of Islam with "lepers, thieves and whores" is absolutely revolting. That line has generated distress in four coworkers from all different Islamic sects and would be more suited to a Britain First propaganda video.

You are (deliberately?) misinterpreting what I said.

I am not saying muslims are "lepers, thieves and whores". I am saying that Western society treats them just as the world in Jesus's day treated lepers, thieves and whores - as 'undesireables'.

Jesus did not treat them as lesser beings. He reached out to lepers and made them clean. He forgave thieves and gave them a path to redeem themselves. When those around him called a woman a "whore", Jesus called her a woman.
Original post by gjd800

Have a good one, all.

And I can gob in a northerner’s face.
Reply 10
Original post by Luke Nukem
And I can gob in a northerner’s face.

Couldn't give less of a shite, la.
Original post by gjd800

Have a good one, all.

You absolute legend.
What’s with the RE lesson?
:bawling:
You are (deliberately?) misinterpreting what I said.

I am not saying muslims are "lepers, thieves and whores". I am saying that Western society treats them just as the world in Jesus's day treated lepers, thieves and whores - as 'undesireables'.

Jesus did not treat them as lesser beings. He reached out to lepers and made them clean. He forgave thieves and gave them a path to redeem themselves. When those around him called a woman a "whore", Jesus called her a woman.

It probably won't matter to you that I think the comparison was a very poor one.
I don't take any TSR posts personally and disagree with you on a historical & theological level.

Four people who believe in Islam have interpreted the sentence as a personal attack based on their religious affiliations and are upset.
They are reading your unpleasant choice of words as indicative of inflammatory derogatory intent- as in the whole of the country thinks you are lepers/thieves& whores and treat you accordingly.
This may not be your intention but you have chosen to select a comparison that is controversial, quite unpleasant and far from flattering particularly to Islam's more religious membership.
You can edit that line to avoid more people misunderstanding your meaning and assuming that you are deliberately being insulting.
All it takes is a more precise wording that make your intentions very obvious to all readers.
Merry Marxmas!

(edited 5 years ago)
Breaking news: It is now Christmas. Or whatever holiday you celebrate, since nobody should feel obligated to celebrate Christmas specifically.

Jesus was a homeless Palestinian Jew. The “no room at the inn” story has some rather modern obvious implications that somehow people will again willfully invert. Jesus literally instructed people to sell their belongings, give the money to the poor and live a humble life in poverty. Good Christians are supposed to sacrifice a good life for themselves to help the poor. Heroin addicts. Prostitutes. And, yes, even "illegal" immigrants and muslims. Those are the 'lepers, thieves and whores' today, in terms of how society treats them. And Jesus demands that you care for them.

So many people I see claiming that they want to preserve Europe's supposed "Christian culture" by turning away millions of desperate people fleeing war, or similarly justifying sidelining Islam and hating on muslims. Anyone with any knowledge of Jesus's philosophy must know that that is a lie. Jesus would be horrified by the things his supposed believers are doing in his name.

Something to think about this Christmas.

you are pretty much on-message. except Our Lord was an Israeli.

:h:
Jesus would have been for Brexit.
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Jesus would have been for Brexit.

Jesus would not have been campaigning for any side. He would, however, have been disappointed at the xenophobic fear-mongering of the Brexit campaign.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending