The Student Room Group

A Level Chem & Bio

So I did my mocks in December and got my grades back. I got a 7 in biology and 6 in Chemistry. Do you think I'm on the right track to do A level Chem and Bio. I don't mean entry requirements but if the grades are a suitable place to be in before the real exams.
Original post by Alec.A
So I did my mocks in December and got my grades back. I got a 7 in biology and 6 in Chemistry. Do you think I'm on the right track to do A level Chem and Bio. I don't mean entry requirements but if the grades are a suitable place to be in before the real exams.

Biology, yes. Its harder to tell with chemistry because a lot of people find it very hard at a level even if it was ok at gcse. If you JUST meet the grade that you need to take chem a level then you might struggle. But then again anyone can improve.
Do you know what you want to go into in the future?
Yeah I'm the same just other way around, I think you're ok as to where you are now
Original post by Alec.A

These grades are a great place to be in right now, you still have time to improve before the real exams! Look back over your mocks & make a list of what you didn't get quite right so you can use that to plan your revision more effectively. I do both A level Chem & Bio and yes they are tricky but if you are willing to put a lot of work then you would be just fine. I know a few people who are doing them both also & got lower than these grades at GCSE. There is always room for improvement! Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by blackvoid17
Biology, yes. Its harder to tell with chemistry because a lot of people find it very hard at a level even if it was ok at gcse. If you JUST meet the grade that you need to take chem a level then you might struggle. But then again anyone can improve.
Do you know what you want to go into in the future?

I get what you mean, I think it's cause I didn't spend as much time as I should have revising chemistry before the mock because I wasn't bothered. So hopefully if I really work hard I'll be able to push it up some more. I was hoping to go into medicine.
Reply 5
Original post by Lydia.Mx
These grades are a great place to be in right now, you still have time to improve before the real exams! Look back over your mocks & make a list of what you didn't get quite right so you can use that to plan your revision more effectively. I do both A level Chem & Bio and yes they are tricky but if you are willing to put a lot of work then you would be just fine. I know a few people who are doing them both also & got lower than these grades at GCSE. There is always room for improvement! Good luck :smile:

Yhh I'm waiting to get my papers back so I can see what I got wrong. I feel like science is one of the only subjects that I'm willing to really work hard for because I'm interested in it so hopefully in the reals one I can push up the grades. Hope your A levels are going well! Thank you for the advice!
I got a 4 in bio and a 6 in chemistry in my december mocks, however in my gcses i got an 8 in bio and a 7 in chemistry, and im now taking it for A level. However the grade boundaries are most likely going to go higher so id work very hard if i was you
Reply 7
Original post by Sh.reenie
I got a 4 in bio and a 6 in chemistry in my december mocks, however in my gcses i got an 8 in bio and a 7 in chemistry, and im now taking it for A level. However the grade boundaries are most likely going to go higher so id work very hard if i was you

Congratulations! I hope to get an 8 or 9 in bio too and at least an 8 in chem. Why do you think the grade boundaries are going to go higher?
Original post by Alec.A
Congratulations! I hope to get an 8 or 9 in bio too and at least an 8 in chem. Why do you think the grade boundaries are going to go higher?

Thank you! We were kinda like the guinea pigs of the new spec, and they didn't really have a good idea of how it will go therefore our grade boundaries were quite low, but now that they have a better idea of how they went i feel as if they will go higher. Maths and English grade boundaries were quite low when the new spec came out (around 50% for a 7 in maths!!) but they then increased the following year. For mainly Biology and a bit of chemistry, i looked at 6 mark past paper questions and I would look at the mark scheme and make my own model answers for these questions, it helped a lot since a lot of these questions come up again they just reword them. I wish you the best of luck in your exams!
I got A* in both biology and chemistry and found the jump to A level very hard. I had to work harder than my friends at A level, but managed to get A in both subjects.
Original post by Alec.A
Yhh I'm waiting to get my papers back so I can see what I got wrong. I feel like science is one of the only subjects that I'm willing to really work hard for because I'm interested in it so hopefully in the reals one I can push up the grades. Hope your A levels are going well! Thank you for the advice!

Ahh brilliant, if you keep on working hard, I'm sure you will be getting those top grades in the summer. Thats very true, I think its so much easier to revise & motivate yourself to work if you are interested in the subjects which is why I love A levels so much as I'm no longer doing subjects I hate - it makes the whole learning experience much more enjoyable & less stressful. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Sh.reenie
Thank you! We were kinda like the guinea pigs of the new spec, and they didn't really have a good idea of how it will go therefore our grade boundaries were quite low, but now that they have a better idea of how they went i feel as if they will go higher. Maths and English grade boundaries were quite low when the new spec came out (around 50% for a 7 in maths!!) but they then increased the following year. For mainly Biology and a bit of chemistry, i looked at 6 mark past paper questions and I would look at the mark scheme and make my own model answers for these questions, it helped a lot since a lot of these questions come up again they just reword them. I wish you the best of luck in your exams!

Defo! the only reason I got a 7 in bio was because I practised some exam questions and generally in bio especially the questions are the same so you can almost exactly guess what the mark scheme wants which I think is the reason why I did better in Bio. I'm going to continue to do this then, thanks and good luck for whatever you are doing too!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Nautilus
I got A* in both biology and chemistry and found the jump to A level very hard. I had to work harder than my friends at A level, but managed to get A in both subjects.

Congrats! I think no matter what A level you do it will always be difficult, it just depends on I guess your work ethic and if you really love the subjects so I guess I'll have to see, congrats btw!
Reply 13
Ahh brilliant, if you keep on working hard, I'm sure you will be getting those top grades in the summer. Thats very true, I think its so much easier to revise & motivate yourself to work if you are interested in the subjects which is why I love A levels so much as I'm no longer doing subjects I hate - it makes the whole learning experience much more enjoyable & less stressful. Thank you! :smile:

Thank you! And definitely! I feel as even though people say the jump from gcse to a level is difficult. I mean it has to be otherwise they're wouldn't be a point of them. But I think the upside is you're doing subjects you love so generally the revision side of it will be easier because you wouldn't have to revise for things like maths which you may have hated, if that makes sense haha
Original post by Alec.A
Thank you! And definitely! I feel as even though people say the jump from gcse to a level is difficult. I mean it has to be otherwise they're wouldn't be a point of them. But I think the upside is you're doing subjects you love so generally the revision side of it will be easier because you wouldn't have to revise for things like maths which you may have hated, if that makes sense haha

Haha yes that makes sense & is very true!! Your point is very accurate, there has to be a jump. And yes that jump is difficult & will make you want to cry & scream from frustration at points but its not unachieveable & you can do it. I think now with the new GCSE's we have it a bit easier because we have been taught things which go into the A-level spec whereas previous years hadn't. I'd just say the detail you have to learn everything in & staying on top of everything is probably the worst thing about them!
Reply 15
Haha yes that makes sense & is very true!! Your point is very accurate, there has to be a jump. And yes that jump is difficult & will make you want to cry & scream from frustration at points but its not unachieveable & you can do it. I think now with the new GCSE's we have it a bit easier because we have been taught things which go into the A-level spec whereas previous years hadn't. I'd just say the detail you have to learn everything in & staying on top of everything is probably the worst thing about them!

Defo!! Triple Science is harder now at GCSE but it will be useful in A level so I guess they both compliment each other. The thing I'm worried about studying medicine besides obviously the work is the destination for the foundation years. I want to stay home and take care of my mum but most people are suggesting that I would have to rent a place at some point. Now i'm torn haha
Original post by Alec.A
Defo!! Triple Science is harder now at GCSE but it will be useful in A level so I guess they both compliment each other. The thing I'm worried about studying medicine besides obviously the work is the destination for the foundation years. I want to stay home and take care of my mum but most people are suggesting that I would have to rent a place at some point. Now i'm torn haha

Yess, I agree. Wow thinking of studying medicine - good on you! I wouldn't worry about that, there are so many options as to where you could study that I'm sure you could find somewhere close to home so you can carry on living there. Theres always part time courses as well - just so many options avalible to you & honestly I don't see why you would have to rent somewhere at some point. Don't let that stop you from doing what you want because you will find a way to make it work. My school has a subscription to unifrog which is bascially a search engine used to search for universities, apprenticeships & sixth forms but they have other stuff on there & if you enter in your postcode & what you want to study then you can choose to filter how far away from home you want to study & it will give you a list of the different univesities and courses around you!
Reply 17
Yess, I agree. Wow thinking of studying medicine - good on you! I wouldn't worry about that, there are so many options as to where you could study that I'm sure you could find somewhere close to home so you can carry on living there. Theres always part time courses as well - just so many options avalible to you & honestly I don't see why you would have to rent somewhere at some point. Don't let that stop you from doing what you want because you will find a way to make it work. My school has a subscription to unifrog which is bascially a search engine used to search for universities, apprenticeships & sixth forms but they have other stuff on there & if you enter in your postcode & what you want to study then you can choose to filter how far away from home you want to study & it will give you a list of the different univesities and courses around you!

Thanks for the help!!! & yhhh I've always been interested in the human anatomy and the cliche of wanting to help people haha. I guess I'll just have to see how it all works out after gcse tbh. Thanks for all the advice btw. Good luck with everything in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest