The Student Room Group

A-level subject combos?!

Hey, so I've been to all my college and sixth form interviews and they all told me that if I wanted to do Biology A-level then I also need to do another science which is fine by me because I enjoy Chemistry. Only problem is what my third choice should be as it's apparently recommended that you take similar A-levels. I think I might do Psychology too but I'm not sure if i'd get overwhelmed doing all science. Can anyone that's doing/done bio, chem and psych A-levels tell me what it's like or what other subject would go well with bio and chem???
Original post by evsurfer
Hey, so I've been to all my college and sixth form interviews and they all told me that if I wanted to do Biology A-level then I also need to do another science which is fine by me because I enjoy Chemistry. Only problem is what my third choice should be as it's apparently recommended that you take similar A-levels. I think I might do Psychology too but I'm not sure if i'd get overwhelmed doing all science. Can anyone that's doing/done bio, chem and psych A-levels tell me what it's like or what other subject would go well with bio and chem???

You don't have to do a similar A-level if you don't want to - I do biology, geography and RS (biology and geography are quite similar but RS is very different to both of them). I would go for a subject you enjoy and think you can do well in.
Reply 2
Original post by evsurfer

I do A-Level Biology, Spanish and English Literature, because I not really particular about entering the the medical/dentistry field. It's incredibly competitive.

A lot of my friends and classmates are taking BIO + CHEM.
The most common one with Bio + Chem is definitely Maths, but if you're not strong at it, I wouldn't recommend it as an A-Level, because it is a MASSIVE step up.

A lot of my friends have their 3rd option as: Maths, Physics, English Lit, Geography, Psychology etc. the list just goes on, because there isn't really a perfect combo. Decide what's best for you, not what everyone else is doing.

Also I would strongly recommend an essay-based subject, such as English Lit, Philosophy, History, Politics etc.
It'll really help in the future when you're at university and need to write essays, dissertations and more. It's a good bonus, having an eloquent way of writing, that I'm sure will set you apart from other's when you write your UCAS application.
Reply 3
Original post by rvthyy
I do A-Level Biology, Spanish and English Literature, because I not really particular about entering the the medical/dentistry field. It's incredibly competitive.

A lot of my friends and classmates are taking BIO + CHEM.
The most common one with Bio + Chem is definitely Maths, but if you're not strong at it, I wouldn't recommend it as an A-Level, because it is a MASSIVE step up.

A lot of my friends have their 3rd option as: Maths, Physics, English Lit, Geography, Psychology etc. the list just goes on, because there isn't really a perfect combo. Decide what's best for you, not what everyone else is doing.

Also I would strongly recommend an essay-based subject, such as English Lit, Philosophy, History, Politics etc.
It'll really help in the future when you're at university and need to write essays, dissertations and more. It's a good bonus, having an eloquent way of writing, that I'm sure will set you apart from other's when you write your UCAS application.

thank you!! I'll definitely look into Psychology and History/English

Quick Reply

Latest