The Student Room Group

Is the 5 letter N- word racist ?

i mean 'nihao'.

I see a lot of people addressing chinese looking people when they meet 1 on the street.

is it racist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really as it's hello in Mandarin
Original post by HucktheForde
i mean 'nihao'.

I see a lot of people addressing chinese looking people when they meet 1 on the street.

is it racist?

Depends what the intention behind it is.

A lot of the time it is used to pole fun at Chinese people by the ignorant.
Reply 3
I got baited by this...
Reply 4
Some A level clickbait.
Means hello doesn’t it, if people are saying it to ridicule the language it’s not racist, it’s childish
Reply 6
-__-
I thought it meant hello or something like that? I swear we used to say it in morning assemblies back in primary school.
Reply 8
Original post by HucktheForde
i mean 'nihao'.

is it racist?
3/10. You don't win this time, but you're welcome to try again next month.
No word is racist or offensive.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
I thought it meant hello or something like that? I swear we used to say it in morning assemblies back in primary school.
It does. "Nihao" a greeting that's short for "ni hao ma", which means "how are you" IIRC. So I'd take "nihao" pretty much literally as "hiya" ("hiya" is "how are ya", abbreviated).
Reply 11
Original post by nerops
I got baited by this...

Same m8
No, saying hello to people isn't racist.
Original post by TommyDH
No, saying hello to people isn't racist.

Depends what the intention is.
ni hao @UWS is it cantonese or mandarin bruh
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what the intention is.

I can't think of any situation where saying hello would be 'portraying irrational hatred or feelings of superiority over another race'.

I've no doubt the blue haired landwhale brigade will find a way to make saying hello being the same as LiTeRaLLy HiTLeR though.
Reply 16
Original post by Bang Outta Order
ni hao @UWS is it cantonese or mandarin bruh

Mandarin I think

I don't speak either anyway :lol:
I love Mandarin it's so interesting to learn. It's hard for English speakers though, the way we use tone completely changes the context of a sentence.

So if we say "How are you?" in a high, bouncy happy tone that means we're happy to see that person and sincerely asking how they are
But if we say "How are you?" in a depressed, low, slow tone that means we're not really bothered or possibly being rude

But in Mandarin they have different tones for every word which can completely change the entire context of that word, or make the word not even make any sense in the sentence it's being used.

Hard to grasp and perfect using voice tones in Mandarin, especially if you're completely tone deaf like me.
jebaited
Original post by MQE99
-__-

d[-__-]b

Quick Reply

Latest