The Student Room Group

Why does the council think I'm married 😭

Last march I turned 18, meaning IV been 18 years old for 11 months.
Starting from April to now, my parents have received 5 letters from the council about sorting marriage paperwork out, I can't remember the exact wording, i was living at home for the first two letters, but the other three were sent while Iv been living at university
(Spread out through the year)
We all ignore them at this point but I'm wondering if anyone else had this experience or knows why its happening? IV never even been in a long term relationship 😭
Original post by Anonymous
Starting from April to now, my parents have received 5 letters from the council about sorting marriage paperwork out, I can't remember the exact wording, i was living at home for the first two letters, but the other three were sent while Iv been living at university
We all ignore them at this point but I'm wondering if anyone else had this experience or knows why its happening? IV never even been in a long term relationship 😭

Unfortunately, you don't have one essential piece of information: what the letters actually say.

The vague comment that they're "about sorting marriage paperwork" and that you "can't remember the exact wording" doesn't help.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Unfortunately, you don't have one essential piece of information: what the letters actually say.

The vague comment that they're "about sorting marriage paperwork" and that you "can't remember the exact wording" doesn't help.

Tax benefits and an application for a marriage certificate is what I remember from when I was living there, also they were all addressed to 'mrs' (name) instead of 'miss' (name)
Original post by Anonymous
Tax benefits and an application for a marriage certificate is what I remember from when I was living there, also they were all addressed to 'mrs' (name) instead of 'miss' (name)

I suggest that you read what the letters actually say, and then get in contact with whoever sent them to ask why they have sent them.
Asking them rather than ignoring them would seem to better option if you want to know more.
Aren't you dying to find out if the Council has made an admin error or if someone has stolen your identity for a fake marriage and fraudulent benefit application?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
Aren't you dying to find out if the Council has made an admin error or if someone has stolen your identity for a fake marriage and fraudulent benefit application?
Im curious yes, but iv decided to go with the flow. My friends make jokes to confuse people especially since I look younger then 18, I'm embracing the husbandless married life
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
Don't ignore. Just write back, or ring the council up and sort it out. It is a pain and it may take 30 minutes but you should sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending