The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2019

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone who has completed pre-employment checks for defra been given a start date yet?
Original post by Arias246
Has anyone who has completed pre-employment checks for defra been given a start date yet?

I have been given a provisional start date but my pre-employment checks don't seem to be completed yet. How long have you been waiting since your checks were completed?
Original post by llama1234
I have been given a provisional start date but my pre-employment checks don't seem to be completed yet. How long have you been waiting since your checks were completed?

I was told they were completed 11 days ago
I was told they were completed 11 days ago

Oh gosh how frustrating! Do you have a provisional date or anything? I guess I would try to ring your contact at Defra if I were you. When I spoke to my department they seemed keen to get me in very quickly but my checks have taken 3 weeks so far and I have a notice period in my current employment so who knows if I will meet my 'provisional' start date
Original post by llama1234
Oh gosh how frustrating! Do you have a provisional date or anything? I guess I would try to ring your contact at Defra if I were you. When I spoke to my department they seemed keen to get me in very quickly but my checks have taken 3 weeks so far and I have a notice period in my current employment so who knows if I will meet my 'provisional' start date

I know, it’s super frustrating. I need to know so I can plan my life accordingly 😭 and nope no provisional date. Funnily enough I was told end of August by email so started to look for rental accommodation that starts from then but then when I rang they then said it could be any of the first 3 weeks of September. I’m just finding it all so inconsiderate of people who don’t live in London and can’t just start straight away tbh.
I know, it’s super frustrating. I need to know so I can plan my life accordingly 😭 and nope no provisional date. Funnily enough I was told end of August by email so started to look for rental accommodation that starts from then but then when I rang they then said it could be any of the first 3 weeks of September. I’m just finding it all so inconsiderate of people who don’t live in London and can’t just start straight away tbh.

Yes I agree, I am finding the not knowing difficult because I was supposed to be going on holiday end of September but have kind of put it off now! Also as you say, I don't live in London so want some extra time than just my notice period to work out moving etc. Well wishing you luck!
Original post by Khatakai
I really hope so because Croydon is ridiculously far 😭

Definitely not all in Croydon, I’ve been offed a job based at the offices in Westminster
Original post by Erosel123
Definitely not all in Croydon, I’ve been offed a job based at the offices in Westminster

Ahh that’s so great to here. Hope it’s going well for you! I’m yet to hear from them
Lol Update: I Can't Even Cope with This.

So I was so happy to FINALLY get a meeting with the Department. All went well with our informal 'chat' but then at the end I straight up asked if there was a chance I wouldn't get the role, as they told me they were seeing 4 people for 3 roles. And of course they said yes, they have to see all the people! I literally cannot deal with this scheme - it is PAINFUL.

Throughout they told me it 'wasn't an interview' too. I am at a loss guys. I like the idea of working in the Civ service and I'm in too deep now to give up before I find out the result but WHAT.

The people I've met seem perfectly nice, but by goodness is this a complete mess. To think I've now spent almost 12 months going through FSAC, FSB, dealing with DAS communications, completing pre employment checks, movement form, meeting with a department only to be told that.

To you 2020 people lurking on this thread in the future, I suggest you read all these posts for an honest appraisal of the expectations in this scheme, how brutal the process is, and seriously consider whether you want to put yourself through it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1989
Did anyone on here go through employment checks only for them to say your ID checks have expired right at the end? I’m now having to go to a job centre to have them check I am still the person who turned up at the AC. Such a faff!
Anyone heard anything regarding the City of London Corporation?
Original post by G96J
Did anyone on here go through employment checks only for them to say your ID checks have expired right at the end? I’m now having to go to a job centre to have them check I am still the person who turned up at the AC. Such a faff!

I can’t even believe that this is real 😭 what a mess. How long ago were your checks done?
Original post by lovelyday19

So I was so happy to FINALLY get a meeting with the Department. All went well with our informal 'chat' but then at the end I straight up asked if there was a chance I wouldn't get the role, as they told me they were seeing 4 people for 3 roles. And of course they said yes, they have to see all the people! I literally cannot deal with this scheme - it is PAINFUL.

Throughout they told me it 'wasn't an interview' too. I am at a loss guys. I like the idea of working in the Civ service and I'm in too deep now to give up before I find out the result but WHAT.

The people I've met seem perfectly nice, but by goodness is this a complete mess. To think I've now spent almost 12 months going through FSAC, FSB, dealing with DAS communications, completing pre employment checks, movement form, meeting with a department only to be told that.

To you 2020 people lurking on this thread in the future, I suggest you read all these posts for an honest appraisal of the expectations in this scheme, how brutal the process is, and seriously consider whether you want to put yourself through it.

Argh, sorry to hear this. Ridiculous that they insist it's not an interview when clearly they must be using your meeting as at least part of their decision-making process. Hope it works out for you!

Would definitely echo your last point. Maybe I was just projecting but when I read last year's thread it seemed to be a much smoother process? But yes if I were doing this next year I would definitely have a good think about whether it was worth going through...
Reply 1993
I can’t even believe that this is real 😭 what a mess. How long ago were your checks done?

I didn’t even know they had been done, I only started them a few weeks ago. But apparently it’s to do with my ID because they won’t have seen it since the AC in December? I’ve no idea, I’m just doing what I’m told!
Original post by G96J
I didn’t even know they had been done, I only started them a few weeks ago. But apparently it’s to do with my ID because they won’t have seen it since the AC in December? I’ve no idea, I’m just doing what I’m told!

Oh that's annoying they had expired, if that's the case surely most people's had as the last of the AC were in January? I chased my checks and they said they were waiting on my ID documents (which i assumed they meant from the photocopy that was taken at the AC) but they said that I could "prevent any potential delays" by going to the Job centre to get them verified myself to email to them which I decided to do.
Original post by lovelyday19

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me: I was invited for an informal chat, and thus I treated it as so, then at the very end I was told they would be "interviewing a few more people". I raised this with DAS as it doesn't exactly follow their stated "no further formal recruitment process" and they thanked me for flagging it and that they'll clarify it with the department in future, but that ultimately any further recruitment process is at their control.

Almost one month after my "chat" with the department, I finally found out they had selected someone who was a better fit and with more experience. Since then they haven't heard from the department so haven't been able to take any action re: putting me back into the pool of DAS candidates.

I apologise for my horror story but, as you said, I hope this helps to manage expectations for candidates next year. My advice to any future candidates is don't make the mistake I made by putting my life on hold for this and missing other opportunities. I hope you have far better luck than I did and that my experience was a one-off!
Original post by SunSalutations
Almost exactly the same thing happened to me: I was invited for an informal chat, and thus I treated it as so, then at the very end I was told they would be "interviewing a few more people". I raised this with DAS as it doesn't exactly follow their stated "no further formal recruitment process" and they thanked me for flagging it and that they'll clarify it with the department in future, but that ultimately any further recruitment process is at their control.

Almost one month after my "chat" with the department, I finally found out they had selected someone who was a better fit and with more experience. Since then they haven't heard from the department so haven't been able to take any action re: putting me back into the pool of DAS candidates.

I apologise for my horror story but, as you said, I hope this helps to manage expectations for candidates next year. My advice to any future candidates is don't make the mistake I made by putting my life on hold for this and missing other opportunities. I hope you have far better luck than I did and that my experience was a one-off!

That's pretty dreadful, I'm so sorry you went through this. Based on the recruitment through DAS it seems like a job offer has previously been a dead cert, so it's understandable to expect the same this year. Onwards and upwards, hopefully you'll be offered something soon.
My son has recently moved to London as part of DAS scheme and has a couple of rooms spare in his house if anyone is moving to London and wanting reasonably priced accommodation.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there,

I received an email from the Direct Appointment Scheme saying that I would be contacted by a department about potential roles. However, the date which they said I would be contacted by has since passed. Has anyone got any advice/ been in this situation?

Thanks
Reply 1999
Original post by Duggers
Hi there,

I received an email from the Direct Appointment Scheme saying that I would be contacted by a department about potential roles. However, the date which they said I would be contacted by has since passed. Has anyone got any advice/ been in this situation?

Thanks

Contact the DAS team. While they are working very hard at the moment and have a lot of emails to deal with, you need to do what is best for you. There have been plenty of incidences of miscommunication and misunderstandings between the DAS team and departments, so bugging them may make difference between getting a job and not. There is only a few weeks left, after all.

I think there are a number of candidates who are sitting in limbo because the DAS Team think it is in the department's hands (and are waiting for them to confirm interest in you), while the department thinks the DAS is putting you up for multiple roles/departments and that they don't need to follow up on any one individual... or some other misunderstanding.

In your email, ask if they can tell you which department it is - you can at least use that info to see on this forum what other people's experience is of that department's processes etc.

Good luck to us all!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending