The Student Room Group

Extra Mathematics Qualifications

I do not want to take Mathematics as an A-level, but would like to show that I have skills above GCSE level. What qualifications would you recommend to show this?

Edit: the qualification does not have to be equal to an A-level, just something extra to have 'under the belt'!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lmtkr
I do not want to take Mathematics as an A-level, but would like to show that I have skills above GCSE level. What qualifications would you recommend to show this?

Why? Is it for some form of further education or professional qualification ... or ...
Original post by mqb2766
Why? Is it for some form of further education or professional qualification ... or ...

I would like to go on to university to study Medicine, and Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject by most universities. As I do not wish to take A-level Mathematics, I was hoping to demonstrate my skill in another way
Reply 3
Original post by lmtkr
I would like to go on to university to study Medicine, and Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject by most universities. As I do not wish to take A-level Mathematics, I was hoping to demonstrate my skill in another way

I suspect most/all medicine courses require A-level maths. I'd contact a few universities that you were considering and checking if there are any alternatives for maths qualifications. Then its your choice about whether you take A-level maths.
Original post by mqb2766
I suspect most/all medicine courses require A-level maths. I'd contact a few universities that you were considering and checking if there are any alternatives for maths qualifications. Then its your choice about whether you take A-level maths.

The required A-levels tend to be Chemistry and a one or more of Maths, Biology and Physics, and I will be studying Biology. Thank you for the advice, I will contact them.
If a level maths is a requirement then you'll either have to do a level maths or an equivalent qualification such as IB. I think you can do BTEC maths but not all universities accept BTEC. why don't you want to take a level maths?
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
If a level maths is a requirement then you'll either have to do a level maths or an equivalent qualification such as IB. I think you can do BTEC maths but not all universities accept BTEC. why don't you want to take a level maths?

It isn’t a requirement, just a preferred subject, so I would like to show that I have skill in that area! I do not want to take it because the expected grades for medicine are A*AA, and I worry that I do not have the capability to achieve such in a Mathematics A-level. If I am able to, I may take it to AS level, but not to A2.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lmtkr

Edit: the qualification does not have to be equal to an A-level, just something extra to have 'under the belt'!

Hey, you can take a level 3 certificate in mathematics, otherwise known as core maths. I believe it is equivalent to an AS level. It builds up on your GCSE knowledge and also introduces some new concepts but it's not as demanding as A-level maths.

Here are the links to the Edexcel and AQA specs so you can find out more:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-mathematics-in-context/mathematics-in-context.html
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/mathematical-studies-1350
Reply 8
maths as an AS qualification
Original post by thestudent33
Hey, you can take a level 3 certificate in mathematics, otherwise known as core maths. I believe it is equivalent to an AS level. It builds up on your GCSE knowledge and also introduces some new concepts but it's not as demanding as A-level maths.

Here are the links to the Edexcel and AQA specs so you can find out more:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-mathematics-in-context/mathematics-in-context.html
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/mathematical-studies-1350

Thank you so much! This seems perfect for me :smile: .
Original post by lmtkr
Thank you so much! This seems perfect for me :smile: .

No problem, glad I could help :smile:
Original post by lmtkr
It isn’t a requirement, just a preferred subject, so I would like to show that I have skill in that area! I do not want to take it because the expected grades for medicine are A*AA, and I worry that I do not have the capability to achieve such in a Mathematics A-level. If I am able to, I may take it to AS level, but not to A2.

That might be a good idea or like I said you could do a BTEC or something. I do A level maths but I'm in AS at the moment and I don't really think it's that hard so far but then again some people do. Maybe have a look at an a level maths textbook and read some of the stuff to see if you think it's hard. I think with how competitive medicine is you need to do whatever you can to improve your application so I agree you should try and prove you've learnt more maths. Have you heard of a level core maths? people do that when they don't want to take a level but want to stay practised at maths however I've heard it's not very good.
Why do you want to do maths? Its pretty irrelevant for a medical degree. Focus on getting A's in the subjects you are studying.
Original post by hugebrain
Why do you want to do maths? Its pretty irrelevant for a medical degree. Focus on getting A's in the subjects you are studying.

Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject - thus medical schools look for skills in that area, but I do not want to take it to A-level, so I am asking for advice on other ways to demonstrate my skill.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
That might be a good idea or like I said you could do a BTEC or something. I do A level maths but I'm in AS at the moment and I don't really think it's that hard so far but then again some people do. Maybe have a look at an a level maths textbook and read some of the stuff to see if you think it's hard. I think with how competitive medicine is you need to do whatever you can to improve your application so I agree you should try and prove you've learnt more maths. Have you heard of a level core maths? people do that when they don't want to take a level but want to stay practised at maths however I've heard it's not very good.

Would it be OK with you if I PM'ed you to have a chat about A-level Maths please? :smile:
Original post by lmtkr
Would it be OK with you if I PM'ed you to have a chat about A-level Maths please? :smile:

Sure I don't mind
Original post by lmtkr

You could take AS Maths if your school offers it. Alternatively there is a new qualification level 3 Core Maths which might be worth considering?

Original post by Muttley79
You could take AS Maths if your school offers it. Alternatively there is a new qualification level 3 Core Maths which might be worth considering?

I think that I am going to look into the level 3 certificate for Mathematics. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest