Extra Mathematics Qualifications Watch

lmtkr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I do not want to take Mathematics as an A-level, but would like to show that I have skills above GCSE level. What qualifications would you recommend to show this?

Edit: the qualification does not have to be equal to an A-level, just something extra to have 'under the belt'!
Last edited by lmtkr; 4 weeks ago
mqb2766
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
I do not want to take Mathematics as an A-level, but would like to show that I have skills above GCSE level. What qualifications would you recommend to show this?
Why? Is it for some form of further education or professional qualification ... or ...
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Why? Is it for some form of further education or professional qualification ... or ...
I would like to go on to university to study Medicine, and Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject by most universities. As I do not wish to take A-level Mathematics, I was hoping to demonstrate my skill in another way
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mqb2766
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
I would like to go on to university to study Medicine, and Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject by most universities. As I do not wish to take A-level Mathematics, I was hoping to demonstrate my skill in another way
I suspect most/all medicine courses require A-level maths. I'd contact a few universities that you were considering and checking if there are any alternatives for maths qualifications. Then its your choice about whether you take A-level maths.
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
I suspect most/all medicine courses require A-level maths. I'd contact a few universities that you were considering and checking if there are any alternatives for maths qualifications. Then its your choice about whether you take A-level maths.
The required A-levels tend to be Chemistry and a one or more of Maths, Biology and Physics, and I will be studying Biology. Thank you for the advice, I will contact them.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If a level maths is a requirement then you'll either have to do a level maths or an equivalent qualification such as IB. I think you can do BTEC maths but not all universities accept BTEC. why don't you want to take a level maths?
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
If a level maths is a requirement then you'll either have to do a level maths or an equivalent qualification such as IB. I think you can do BTEC maths but not all universities accept BTEC. why don't you want to take a level maths?
It isn’t a requirement, just a preferred subject, so I would like to show that I have skill in that area! I do not want to take it because the expected grades for medicine are A*AA, and I worry that I do not have the capability to achieve such in a Mathematics A-level. If I am able to, I may take it to AS level, but not to A2.
Last edited by lmtkr; 4 weeks ago
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)

Edit: the qualification does not have to be equal to an A-level, just something extra to have 'under the belt'!
Hey, you can take a level 3 certificate in mathematics, otherwise known as core maths. I believe it is equivalent to an AS level. It builds up on your GCSE knowledge and also introduces some new concepts but it's not as demanding as A-level maths.

Here are the links to the Edexcel and AQA specs so you can find out more:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...n-context.html
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...l-studies-1350
msarahxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
maths as an AS qualification
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by thestudent33)
Hey, you can take a level 3 certificate in mathematics, otherwise known as core maths. I believe it is equivalent to an AS level. It builds up on your GCSE knowledge and also introduces some new concepts but it's not as demanding as A-level maths.

Here are the links to the Edexcel and AQA specs so you can find out more:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...l-studies-1350
Thank you so much! This seems perfect for me .
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
Thank you so much! This seems perfect for me .
No problem, glad I could help
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
It isn’t a requirement, just a preferred subject, so I would like to show that I have skill in that area! I do not want to take it because the expected grades for medicine are A*AA, and I worry that I do not have the capability to achieve such in a Mathematics A-level. If I am able to, I may take it to AS level, but not to A2.
That might be a good idea or like I said you could do a BTEC or something. I do A level maths but I'm in AS at the moment and I don't really think it's that hard so far but then again some people do. Maybe have a look at an a level maths textbook and read some of the stuff to see if you think it's hard. I think with how competitive medicine is you need to do whatever you can to improve your application so I agree you should try and prove you've learnt more maths. Have you heard of a level core maths? people do that when they don't want to take a level but want to stay practised at maths however I've heard it's not very good.
hugebrain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do you want to do maths? Its pretty irrelevant for a medical degree. Focus on getting A's in the subjects you are studying.
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by hugebrain)
Why do you want to do maths? Its pretty irrelevant for a medical degree. Focus on getting A's in the subjects you are studying.
Mathematics is a preferred A-level subject - thus medical schools look for skills in that area, but I do not want to take it to A-level, so I am asking for advice on other ways to demonstrate my skill.
lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
That might be a good idea or like I said you could do a BTEC or something. I do A level maths but I'm in AS at the moment and I don't really think it's that hard so far but then again some people do. Maybe have a look at an a level maths textbook and read some of the stuff to see if you think it's hard. I think with how competitive medicine is you need to do whatever you can to improve your application so I agree you should try and prove you've learnt more maths. Have you heard of a level core maths? people do that when they don't want to take a level but want to stay practised at maths however I've heard it's not very good.
Would it be OK with you if I PM'ed you to have a chat about A-level Maths please?
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
Would it be OK with you if I PM'ed you to have a chat about A-level Maths please?
Sure I don't mind
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lmtkr)
You could take AS Maths if your school offers it. Alternatively there is a new qualification level 3 Core Maths which might be worth considering?

lmtkr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You could take AS Maths if your school offers it. Alternatively there is a new qualification level 3 Core Maths which might be worth considering?

I think that I am going to look into the level 3 certificate for Mathematics. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.07%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.8%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.76%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.26%
No (283)
71.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed