The Student Room Group

Which UK university should I consider for mechanical or mechatronic engineering?

I am an IB student and got predicted 37 without bonus points. Right now I am considering Imperial, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, and Nottingham. However, I want to change imperial to a school that requires lower but still has a good reputation for mechanical or mechatronic engineering. Can you give me some suggestions? UCL? King's? Brunel?
(edited 5 years ago)
Loughborough?
Original post by tesconyc
Loughborough?

Can you give me some more details? The experience there or student satisfaction.
Original post by jamescambodi
I am an IB student and got predicted 37 without bonus points. Right now I am considering Imperial, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, and Nottingham. However, I want to change imperial to a school that require lower but still has good reputation for mechanical or mechatronic engineering. Can you give me some suggestions?

Bath followed by Loughborough. Amongst the best universities for Engineering. I hope this is not for this years entry as the universities may have closed their books as you have missed the deadline for equal consideration. If it is for september ring each university to check whether they are accepting applications before applying.
Southampton is generally considered on par with Imperial etc for engineering, and has courses in both mechanical and mechatronic engineering. As above Loughborough is very good however as well. Both might be worth looking into as such.
Warwick?
Reply 6
University of Bristol is an excellent university!
Reply 7
Original post by jamescambodi
I am an IB student and got predicted 37 without bonus points. Right now I am considering Imperial, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, and Nottingham. However, I want to change imperial to a school that requires lower but still has a good reputation for mechanical or mechatronic engineering. Can you give me some suggestions? UCL? King's? Brunel?

You have missed the main UCAS deadline for entry in 2019. You need to check if any of those universities are still accepting applications. They might be but you need to call each one first to check otherwise you may be wasting a choice on your application.

Original post by swanseajack1
I hope this is not for this years entry as the universities may have closed their books as you have missed the deadline for equal consideration. If it is for september ring each university to check whether they are accepting applications before applying.

Ah... I should have read the thread before posting :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You have missed the main UCAS deadline for entry in 2019. You need to check if any of those universities are still accepting applications. They might be but you need to call each one first to check otherwise you may be wasting a choice on your application.

Ah... I should have read the thread before posting :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes my concern is Imperial probably Bristol Leeds and Bath maybe full. We are making suggestions without knowing full facts. If it is for this year it is likely there will need to be a different group of universities.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Yes my concern is Imperial probably Bristol Leeds and Bath maybe full. We are making suggestions without knowing full facts. If it is for this year it is likely there will need to be a different group of universities.

:yep: And if it's for next year there's plenty of time to visit a shortlist (even if international).
I have already applied to these 5 universities, but I consider to switch imperial to another university.
Also, I have got an offer from Leeds already at 35 (18 HL)
(Original post by jamescambodi)Also, I have got an offer from Leeds already at 35 (18 HL)
The problem is any university you change to will be treating this as a late application. You will not be entitled to equal consideration and if they are already full will just reject you. Under ucas rules you can only change a university within 14 days of ucas receiving your application. If you are still within 14 days I suggest you contact any university you are looking at to see if they still have places. As previously advised Bath or Southampton are worth looking it but I suspect wont look at your application. Alternatively look at Sheffield or maybe Swansea.
Another factor might be the type of place you want to study. All your choices are in biggish cities whilst Bath and Loughborough are in small cities and Southampton and Swansea are fairly small as well. Maybe Sheffield would be your best choice or Birmingham.

Quick Reply

Latest