The Student Room Group

do you need historian quotes for AS history??

someone tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Not necessarily, but if you’re trying to hit the highest grades then I’d say learn some and put some in
Reply 3
Original post by Diamond22
Not necessarily, but if you’re trying to hit the highest grades then I’d say learn some and put some in

how do you put it in? and for what question the source or explain why you agree or disagree with this view?
(edited 5 years ago)
Just say that so and so argues this about your topic which is backed up by this evidence. Then you can either say this is backed up by —— insert evidence or there’s more evidence against it —— insert evidence
Reply 5
Original post by Diamond22
Just say that so and so argues this about your topic which is backed up by this evidence. Then you can either say this is backed up by —— insert evidence or there’s more evidence against it —— insert evidence

can you include it in your conclusion?
In the conclusion, I’d just say “and the evidence discussed above (in essay) backs up/disproves X argument” but
Reply 7
Original post by hd...
can you include it in your conclusion?

Nah. Won't be necessary.
Probably going to be vital in coursework.
Original post by hd...
someone tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey there!

i sat my as history last june and came out with quite a high a grade on results day. my school requested my papers back and i had a quick look at them after i saw this thread just to make sure my answer was accurate!

i sat my history exams with the northern irish board (ccea) and did not include any historian's quotes or ideas, apart from when i was quoting the sources/interpretations in the necessary questions. however, if you would like to give yourself a little bit of extra work (lmao) you could potentially really impress your examiner if you were able to use a relevant quote in your answer - however, it really is not necessary and your quote revision may go to waste in case it doesn't fit with the question :/

hope this was helpful + good luck with your exams! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by simplyquizical
hey there!

i sat my as history last june and came out with quite a high a grade on results day. my school requested my papers back and i had a quick look at them after i saw this thread just to make sure my answer was accurate!

i sat my history exams with the northern irish board (ccea) and did not include any historian's quotes or ideas, apart from when i was quoting the sources/interpretations in the necessary questions. however, if you would like to give yourself a little bit of extra work (lmao) you could potentially really impress your examiner if you were able to use a relevant quote in your answer - however, it really is not necessary and your quote revision may go to waste in case it doesn't fit with the question :/

hope this was helpful + good luck with your exams! :biggrin:

Oh I'm doing AQA
i thought you might be because ccea isn't a very popular option for history.

i've looked at the aqa papers though and the questions seem to be the same (mainly source based/some own knowledge) so everything i said previously is still okay! maybe even see if there is a particular historian who is well-known for their research in your period of history and learn one or two quotes from them if you would like but again - not necessary at all.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by simplyquizical
i thought you might be because ccea isn't a very popular option for history.

i've looked at the aqa papers though and the questions seem to be the same (mainly source based/some own knowledge) so everything i said previously is still okay! maybe even see if there is a particular historian who is well-known for their research in your period of history and learn one or two quotes from them if you would like but again - not necessary at all.

hope this helps :smile:

how did you revise for history? and what structure did you use for the source questions?
Original post by hd...
how did you revise for history? and what structure did you use for the source questions?

we studied a really unpopular time period for our exams (17th century italy and france!) and there were no resources other than our teacher's notes - so I basically made my own notes from that using flashcards/sticky notes etc! but websites like bbc bitesize have a lot of helpful stuff for most history courses.

for the source questions we use a method called DAMMITLK:
- date
- author
- mode (letters, speeches etc)
- motive
- information (content of the source)
- tone
- limitations (e.g. written years after the event = missing details)
- knowledge (just your own knowledge that isn't in the source)

basically, go through the sources and use that as a check-list!

hope this helps :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest