The Student Room Group

A level History

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for history and does anyone have any notes or past questions on history for tudors and germany AQA?
Original post by x_millieh2005
Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for history and does anyone have any notes or past questions on history for tudors and germany AQA?

Hi! Hope your A-level revision is going well or will go well if you're heading into year 13 (which I assume you are?). When I was revising for A-level history (AQA) I found mind maps and what I call "splurts" to be quite helpful to me. I would write a topic in the middle of a sheet of A3 paper then write key facts about that topic, e.g. Henry VIII religion [I'd have sections for the English bible, dissolution of the monasteries, Wolsey, key acts of Parliament etc...].

For the "splurts" I'd also write the topic in the middle of a scrap piece of paper then give myself like 5-10 minutes to scribble down as much as I knew about that topic without looking at any notes/textbooks. After the time was up, I'd add (in a different coloured pen) all the info I didn't manage to remember. Basically, I'd just keep repeating this till it stuck in my head.

Annoyingly now, Quizlet played a huge part in helping me revise but unfortunately I no longer use it for studying because they've started charging for it and changed it from what it once was.

You need to find what works best for you - are you a visual or audio learner? For me, watching videos often helped a lot, as did listening to podcasts on the bus to school - I particularly enjoyed the History Extra podcast! Also if you're going for higher grades then you need to find titbits of info that most people won't know walking into that exam.

Also I loved quoting historians in my essays, just small quotes to back up my answer (this isn't necessary for high grade but I think it helps), for example, historian Wernham called the Intercursus Magnus of 1496 the 'Magna Carta of the English traders' demonstrating how powerful that agreement really was and backing up my argument that Henry VII had a strong foreign policy.

Sorry for long response but best of luck with your revision and A-level exam! :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending