The Student Room Group

Advice for a 24 year old.

Hello all, I need some advice on what to do next. At 16 after I left school I wanted to do an apprenticeship. I tried my hardest to secure one but at the time I couldn't find one in the subject I was looking for. So I went to college and did a Level 3 BTEC National Diploma in mechanics.

I passed this course and began working full time to get some money behind me. I always told myself year after year, one day you will get an apprenticeship and work towards your goal. Years have slipped by and now I'm 24, wishing I actually took a chance and studied towards something I'm interested in.

I'm currently working full time but I'm not happy where I'm at. I've applied for a apprentice position in a field I'm interested in and its a level 3 course. Now, I've been invited to the college assessment centre which is like 20 miles away. I can drive and not been stupid with my money...I've been saving up for a rainy day. I feel like time is slipping away and I regret not doing this sooner as I've just been floating about in jobs I don't particularity enjoy.

What would you guys do? Is the low wage worth bearing with?
Reply 1
You are not alone.
I’m 25 now but at 24, I had the same realisation as you and quit my well paid job because I hated it and it ate up all my time.
1 year later, I do what I love and though it means being extra frugal, the pressure of forcing myself to walk a path that is not my own for money is gone.
Sometimes I feel stupid but mostly happy.
My advice, do what you love. Plan it though, take the time to figure out the details and then plunge into it head first.
It will be scary at the start, but it’s worth it.

Also, you can get loans/grants to help with the money stuff while you study. So things won’t be as tight as you think.
Don't view all the years you have spent earning a living, paying taxes and building up your work history as a waste of time.
It is all valuable life experience.
The fact that you are not afraid of hard work, have the self respect to earn your own money and the sense to try build up some savings speaks volumes about your character.

There are plenty of part time study opportunities and often student loans to contribute towards the fees.
If you are considering full time study, you will be eligible for student loans to cover your tuition fees and probably a maintenance allowance too.
Reply 3
I would advise taking some time out to clear your head space, pause and think about what you really want.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Don't view all the years you have spent earning a living, paying taxes and building up your work history as a waste of time.
It is all valuable life experience.
The fact that you are not afraid of hard work, have the self respect to earn your own money and the sense to try build up some savings speaks volumes about your character.

Thank you. I've passed the 1st part of my application and now have to do 4 assessments at this assessment centre. I can always go and see what's it's like? I'm not an impulsive thinker and always think things through before jumping to a decision.

I've suffered with anxiety since school and I worry how other people will react to my decisions. I think this is why I never pursued this aspiration of mine.

Original post by B3ar93
You are not alone.
I’m 25 now but at 24, I had the same realisation as you and quit my well paid job because I hated it and it ate up all my time.
1 year later, I do what I love and though it means being extra frugal, the pressure of forcing myself to walk a path that is not my own for money is gone.
Sometimes I feel stupid but mostly happy.
My advice, do what you love. Plan it though, take the time to figure out the details and then plunge into it head first.
It will be scary at the start, but it’s worth it.

Also, you can get loans/grants to help with the money stuff while you study. So things won’t be as tight as you think.

Good for you mate, at least you stood for something. It will be one of the best things you'll ever do, not living up to someone's expectations.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending