UCAT (formerly UKCAT) 2020 entry discussion Watch

ddani01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey everyone so from now on in Australia you will have to do the UCAT if you want to get into medicine/dentistry. No unis have set their cutoffs, and I haven't really got a clue of how hard it is. We used to have a 3 hour UMAT exam but it is now switched to UCAT because apparently it is a better exam in determining the best applicants for medicine. So I was wonderig what are usually the cutoffs in each section in the UK, for context I will be applying for a good medicine schools but not the best one out there. There aren't really that many Med schools in my state but the Uni that will be on the top of my list is still known to be one of the best in the state. Also I'm taking the test in the month of July, what do you guys reccomend in terms of how much to study for it. And how hard would you say each section is (I'm not good with shapes). Anway, I'm really nervous for it because I can't talk to anyone who has done it before, since 2019 will be the first year anyone is doing it, so any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Also sorry for the extra long post
KVJ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Most unis say scores of over 630ish (averaged over the first four sections) and Band 3 or higher (where 1 is the highest) are good
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
medicportaler
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Here's an article I wrote that gives some clarification on the UKCAT:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...to-be-a-doctor
In terms of studying for it I'd say about 3 weeks is ideal. The difficulty of each section is very subjective, personally I found abstract reasoning to be the hardest section!
Splishsplash
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
While getting a high UCAT score is your goal, in the UK some universities look solely at UKCAT / UCAT scores to select for interviews, others use it among other factors (e.g. GCSEs, personal statement) while others just want you to sit the exam but not necessarily use them. In the event of too many interviewees performing well, some universities take the UKCAT / UCAT score as a tie breaker. It may be worth examining individual universities' selection criteria and deciding which you have greatest chances of success, assuming you are mad keen on a medical career that you'll go anywhere as long as they'll take you in. In the UK, results are known immediately and therefore you have that information before making your application choices.
SophieAlex20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Heya! Anyone studying UCAT 2019 for 2020 application to Medicine?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are you actually studying for it now ? Isn’t it quite early? - I do admire your dedication though
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m thinking of applying to medicine but wasn’t planning starting practice until June - how are you finding it?
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! Decided to make a thread for 2020 entry (meaning doing the UCAT in 2019) as I haven’t seen one yet!
elle439
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I aim to apply to medical school this year, but obviously I need to take an admissions test, I've looked at the UKCAT just now and it looks ridiculously hard, I struggle with problem solving and quick thinking. Does anyone have any tips?
ohyehyeh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thoughts on following medify scores (MOCK 5) and how they might compare to the actual UKCAT?
VR - 570 (21/44)
DM - 600-700 (16/29)
QR - 630 (20/36)
AR - 700 (39/55)
SJ - band 1

Improving from 1st medify mock I did (MOCK 1), which is good:
VR - 570
DM - 300-500
QR - 600
AR - 570
SJ - Band 2

Any advice for VR and QR would be great (had to guess most of VR and QR because I ran out of time).

Thanks.
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I haven’t started revising for it yet, however I have heard that people who used medify got a lower score than what they originally thought, how r u finding it?
Last edited by Chickenhead11; 2 months ago
ohyehyeh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
I haven’t started revising for it yet, however I have heard that people who used medify got a lower score than what they originally thought, how r u finding it?
Oh ok, that's good to hear.

VR: finding rushed for time to read through the longer reading comprehension passages. true/false/can't tell is ok tho.
QR: finding rushed for time to read through long tables
DM: a mixed-bag... the probability questions are quite hard. evaluating arguments is ok.
AR: hard when I started, ok now
SJ: all the questions are pretty much the same...

How bout yourself?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ive heard that medify is harder for AR and easier for VR, thats not quantifiable though

i really liked the kaplan book as it explained the techniques really well
Gary_NHS_1989
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m not a quick reader. So for VR I skipped all the questions that weren’t True, False, Can’t decide. Because they’re just one statement and it’s quicker to decide on which applies to that statement. After doing all them I went back to the multiple statement ones and tried to spread my time evenly.Also focus on key word searching. Dates, and years make great key words. Just scan the document and I’d read a sentence before and after the one that had the key word in. Served me well.
Browndood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Guys

Took the UKCAT last year got a score of 705:
VR - 600
DM - 800
QR - 730
AR - 690

Resources Used: 1250 UKCAT Book, Kaplan, Youtube and Medify
Time: 2 Months
Starting Med in September.
Tips:
1. VR is the hardest section by far, this section is all about how you prepare. Practice your techniques and in my opinion only read the question and skim the text for the section and find the answer. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PASSAGE.
2. DM I practiced using the 1250 book and medify. I spent the most time preparing on this section and the most important takeaway is understand the differences between some, all, most etc...
3. QR is the most straightforward, simple maths. Only hard part is finishing the section. (Left 2 Qs Blank)
4. AR this section is the one i started with as its about building up a bank of patterns and being able to recognize them once you have seen them before. Used the 1250 book, Kaplan and Medify.
5. Band 2 --> I think the SJT is really luck dependent on if you get band 1 or 2. But enough familiarization with the scenarios should be good enough. Easiest section by far.
ohyehyeh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Browndood)
Hi Guys

Took the UKCAT last year got a score of 705:
VR - 600
DM - 800
QR - 730
AR - 690

Resources Used: 1250 UKCAT Book, Kaplan, Youtube and Medify
Time: 2 Months
Starting Med in September.
Tips:
1. VR is the hardest section by far, this section is all about how you prepare. Practice your techniques and in my opinion only read the question and skim the text for the section and find the answer. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PASSAGE.
2. DM I practiced using the 1250 book and medify. I spent the most time preparing on this section and the most important takeaway is understand the differences between some, all, most etc...
3. QR is the most straightforward, simple maths. Only hard part is finishing the section. (Left 2 Qs Blank)
4. AR this section is the one i started with as its about building up a bank of patterns and being able to recognize them once you have seen them before. Used the 1250 book, Kaplan and Medify.
5. Band 2 --> I think the SJT is really luck dependent on if you get band 1 or 2. But enough familiarization with the scenarios should be good enough. Easiest section by far.
Was QR easier on the exam like past ucat sitters say? I'm finding the medify questions pretty hard (cause of all the information given that isn't relevant)!

Also, do you have advice for those probability questions in decision making (what would be the best resource to prep for that)?
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is it too early to revise for it tho? Or are you just doing it now to get an idea of what’s to come?
ohyehyeh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Is it too early to revise for it tho? Or are you just doing it now to get an idea of what’s to come?
Just getting an idea -- not any serious revision yet.
Browndood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For the most part medify accurately represented the difficulty, but there were more "easy ones" on the actual exam but that maybe just the luck of the draw.
Kaplan i think go through the probability sections quite well but there is no specific strategy. Take time and understand your mistakes rather than brushing it under the rug and assuming you will get it right in the exam.
The medify probability was on the easier side from what i remember.
(Original post by ohyehyeh)
Was QR easier on the exam like past ucat sitters say? I'm finding the medify questions pretty hard (cause of all the information given that isn't relevant)!

Also, do you have advice for those probability questions in decision making (what would be the best resource to prep for that)?
Last edited by Browndood; 2 months ago
Moll.987
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello, I wondered if anybody knew of great resources or general tips for how to prepare for the ukcat, thank you for your suggestions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads