The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What's so bad about Politics?
Reply 21
generalebriety
Theology isn't RS.

At A-level, certainly in my syllabus, it was classed as relgious studies.

Relgious Studies:Christian Theology was its full title.

Now, yes, I wasn't happy with either of those titles as it wasn't really Theology it was just western philosophy and ethics. However, that was still its name.

I'm checking out AQA's when I can get their website working.
8 Horizontal
I'm not sure but I believe that Theology is perhas better 'rated' than R.S. can't you take that instead?
Also, perhaps Philosophy?

I'm doing As Philosophy but I messed up my first year for quite a few reasons, some of which were beyond my control - I stayed overnight at the hospital on christmas eve with a sick relative and was there pretty much the rest of the holidays so did no revision for my maths and failed it. :frown: Now I'm only continuing As English language, As Philosophy, As general studies and my As extended project. :frown: So I'm starting completly all over again next year. Will getting a good grade in Philosophy help? I'm predicted A/B. :smile:
Reply 23
fweefwee
If you want to do law at uni then take law

No, please don't. There are better options around for than A-level law. It's often put on "less preferred" lists for unis. It's not as academically rigorous or theoretical as some unis would like. There may also be the concern that it will allow some students to get into bad habits.

If you want to do law do a mix of arts, sciences and one social science/modern language. Try and stear clear of law when possible.
jgupta
Find me some evidence that it isn't - it isn't on any black lists, its on cam's 'Generally acceptable' list along with economics, history etc...

I don't particularly want to find you evidence - if you, the AS student, think you know more than me, the undergraduate, about becoming an undergraduate, it's you who needs to provide evidence, rather than appealing to 'blacklists' (which essentially don't exist) and a big generalising catch-all table by Trinity College (note: by the college, not by Cambridge itself). I don't mean to be condescending, but RS is well known to be nowhere near as rigorous a discipline as history at A-level.

Edit: typorama.
Reply 25
Accounting is very popular among my peers. I'm just thankful that I did not jump into the bandwagon and took up that subject, who knows it goes under the unsuitable A level list!!
Reply 26
azuradragonfly
I'm doing As Philosophy but I messed up my first year for quite a few reasons, some of which were beyond my control - I stayed overnight at the hospital on christmas eve with a sick relative and was there pretty much the rest of the holidays so did no revision for my maths and failed it. :frown: Now I'm only continuing As English language, As Philosophy, As general studies and my As extended project. :frown: So I'm starting completly all over again next year. Will getting a good grade in Philosophy help? I'm predicted A/B. :smile:

So you're doing philosophy? So religous studies musn't be THeology or Philosophy. I wouldn't take it, go with English lit or history instead if you can.
River85
No, please don't. There are better options around for than A-level law. It's often put on "less preferred" lists for unis. It's not as academically rigorous or theoretical as some unis would like. There may also be the concern that it will allow some students to get into bad habits.

If you want to do law do a mix of arts, sciences and one social science/modern language. Try and stear clear of law when possible.

I agree.
I did all the sciences - every single one - and got in.
River - do you do law?
Reply 28
Lord Hysteria

River - do you do law?

No (philosophy and politics) but I know the law department at Durham well enough and a good number of students. I was considering a career in law until a year back so I've had dealings with law firms, been to enough law firms at Durham and what not.

I think I'm generally well-informed but if anyone as a law student thinks I'm talking crap then feel free to say so :smile:

I would still always advse someone to take English lit or history instead of Philosophy or Theology (even though they are still both respected enough). In my experience even my respected Theology A-level wasn't quite as rigorous as the English Lit A-level I was taking, Philosophy at uni is a whole different ballgame though.

That you (OP) are doing AS philosophy then I'm guessing RS is different to a Theology or philosophy course so, without knowing more, I'd think history or english lit is a far better option.
River85
No (philosophy and politics) but I know the law department at Durham well enough and a good number of students. I was considering a career in law until a year back so I've had dealings with law firms, been to enough law firms at Durham and what not.

I think I'm generally well-informed but if anyone as a law student thinks I'm talking crap then feel free to say so :smile:

I would still always advse someone to take English lit or history instead of Philosophy or Theology (even though they are still both respected enough). In my experience even my respected Theology A-level wasn't quite as rigorous as the English Lit A-level I was taking, Philosophy at uni is a whole different ballgame though.

That you (OP) are doing AS philosophy then I'm guessing RS is different to a Theology or philosophy course so, without knowing more, I'd think history or english lit is a far better option.

I was already going to do English literature and History so I this was one of my other possible options. I'm not sure about sciences, I'd prefer to stick to humanities but if they're not rated as well as sciences I'll take Biology instead and work really hard in that.
Reply 30
azuradragonfly
I was already going to do English literature and History so I this was one of my other possible options. I'm not sure about sciences, I'd prefer to stick to humanities but if they're not rated as well as sciences I'll take Biology instead and work really hard in that.

No that's not the case at all, the humanities are as well respected as the sciences, despite what some science students tell you. Especially English Lit, History, Geography etc.

If you want to do all humanities then fair enough, it didn't do me any harm :smile: If you're unsure what to do as a career, or want to go into something like law, it's perhaps best to get a little mixture. Once science will be a great benefit.
Although for sciences maths, physics and chemistry are possibly marginally more respected than biology. Don't take a science just for the sake of it though.
River85
No that's not the case at all, the humanities are as well respected as the sciences, despite what some science students tell you. Especially English Lit, History, Geography etc.

If you want to do all humanities then fair enough, it didn't do me any harm :smile: If you're unsure what to do as a career, or want to go into something like law, it's perhaps best to get a little mixture. Once science will be a great benefit.
Although for sciences maths, physics and chemistry are possibly marginally more respected than biology. Don't take a science just for the sake of it though.

Well I've always loved Biology too, but I'm more at home with the humanities. I think I've pretty much settled on English literature, History, Politics and Religious studies now. Thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice! :smile:
Reply 32
generalebriety
I don't particularly want to find you evidence - if you, the AS student, think you know more than me, the undergraduate, about becoming an undergraduate, it's you who needs to provide evidence, rather than appealing to 'blacklists' (which essentially don't exist) and a big generalising catch-all table by Trinity College (note: by the college, not by Cambridge itself). I don't mean to be condescending, but RS is well known to be nowhere near as rigorous a discipline as history at A-level.

Edit: typorama.

Why would being an undergrad make you necessarily know more than the guy who is actually taking it?

I do philosophy & ethics along with economics, maths, chemistry and biology...and its no easier than any of them.
Blacklists and general acceptance lists are important as they show how universities perceive them, and if it wasn't respected then it would be one one...it isnt.
3 of my subjects are in the limited suitability :eek:
Geography is classed as a science, and i'm pretty sure it's harder than alot of other A levels.
Reply 35
CescvanRaikkonen
Geography is classed as a science, and i'm pretty sure it's harder than alot of other A levels.

Not necessarily, it can be classd as both a science or an art/humanity subject. If either or then probably humanity

It's all subjective of course but I didn't find geography particularly hard. I found my AS year harder than A2. Partly because I was unwell during both years, but especially the first. It was also too "GCSEy" still in the first year. It may sound strange as I got an A* at GCSE but it didn't have that great step up that history, english lit or theology did.

The second year was a lot more different and more essay based. Don't get me wrong, I love geography (I was I had choosen to do it at degree now :smile: ) it's also undoubteldy harder than some A-levels but I'd say its difficulty level is still only reasonable.
Reply 36
Do Philosophy:biggrin:
RS is sooo variable...
A level is a lot different to GCSE, personally I thought RS GCSE was pants but I do enjoy RS A level very much .The problem with it is it's not necessarily your ability that gets the marks; it's knowing what the examiners want to see. This is of course true of every subject but I think it's applicable in RS. You do need to know a lot about RS to get a good grade but I think you need either a good teacher or you need to be good at planning and writing essays... the course can be very different in how interesting it is. At the moment I'm doing Ethics and New Testament; ethics is really good and I anjoy it as I also have a great teacher... but new testament I find tragically boring. Find out what the course is like, to see whether you'll enjoy it. I'm not personally using it as a subject that will make me look very clever, I'm taking it because I enjoy it. Some would say it's quite a soft option but I think it definitely needs a certain level of ability. Personally I'd rate it above most subjects in how interesting it is... and definitely not a mickey mouse option in ability. It depends on whether you're good at writing essays or not as to whether you think it's up there with maths and sciences. I find essays difficult so I probably do find it as difficult as maths and science A levels, despite being a lot better at RS than I am at maths and science! If you're wanting to impress people a lot with it, you'd probably need to apply to Theology or something at uni so you can actually show a piece of work you've done, as this can definitely look good. Simply having RS without any work to show probably won't look AS good as maths and science, but it's definitely an interesting, and good A level to have.

Sorry that's so long, I hope it's a little bit helpful! And definitely don't take any of that as 100% fact! Largely my own opinion :smile:
i have heard it described as a watered down version of philosophy. my source, however, is a philosophy teacher.
Reply 39
I'm currently studying Philosophy and Ethics under the name of RS and as far as i know it is a fairly respected subject. However i think does depend what "branch" of RS your course goes down. I think it's intredibly interesting, if a hell of a lot of work especially Philosophy remembering about 100 philosophers opinions! Ethics is alright i suppose but i personally much prefer Philosophy partly because it's more interesting and partly i prefer the teacher.. :smile: It would most definatly compliment English Lit! A guy in my class whos in Yr13 but did thw course the other way round doing A2 then AS because of his timetable has just accepted a 4 year course studying philosophy of science (i think!?), two years at St. Andrews and two years at Harvard! I don't think it can hinder you that much! :smile: Any more info ya need i'll try and help but i can only talk about my course.. :smile:

Latest