The Student Room Group

A-level choices

I know I want to do biology and chemistry but I am unsure about my third subject. I'm not sure if I want to do psychology or philosophy. At university I think I want to do medicine or biomedical sciences. Will top universities see RS as a reason not to consider me?
I'll be honest here . If you want the best most optimum subject choice it's biology chemistry maths .people may disagree but go check your self .for medicine dentistry etc you typically need bio chem . If you suddenly switch out of no where and want to do something like engineering alot of unis only require maths . If you take another U turn and want to do law some universitys like uni of Bristol don't have a a level requirement but ofc a level English and other essay subjects would help . But if your extremely passionate about it you can do things on the side to prepare you more for a degree that doesn't particularly match your a level subjects ( If that makes any sense). Doing BCM for a levels will give you nearly an unlimited number options interms of degree choice and it's highly respected.
Reply 2
thank you. is this true for biomedical sciences or other biology related degrees or just medicine?
Original post by grey_cloud
thank you. is this true for biomedical sciences or other biology related degrees or just medicine?

True for anything
I know I want to do biology and chemistry but I am unsure about my third subject. I'm not sure if I want to do psychology or philosophy. At university I think I want to do medicine or biomedical sciences. Will top universities see RS as a reason not to consider me?

What Mr W said is most definitely true, unless you're bent up on going into healthcare, maths will also get you into most fields. That is unless ur willing to go into biochem/biotech and then go into a maths related degree (extra student loans for what?).

Also maths is that type of subject where all you need is practice to get an A no matter what you got in GCSE (one of my friends went from 6 in gcses to predicted A*s in maths so u can do it too!!).

You'll also find maths is part of biology and chemistry, like a whole lot of chemistry is maths TT

If you hate maths, you can take psychology as some topics really link with biology (approaches and biopsych)

But honestly, it doesn't matter what your third subject is for most unis as long as you get a good grade for bio and chem. There are so many students that ik tht did like english or media studies as their third and now their in dentistry or medicine.
Original post by limbobimbo

What Mr W said is most definitely true, unless you're bent up on going into healthcare, maths will also get you into most fields. That is unless ur willing to go into biochem/biotech and then go into a maths related degree (extra student loans for what?).

Also maths is that type of subject where all you need is practice to get an A no matter what you got in GCSE (one of my friends went from 6 in gcses to predicted A*s in maths so u can do it too!!).

You'll also find maths is part of biology and chemistry, like a whole lot of chemistry is maths TT

If you hate maths, you can take psychology as some topics really link with biology (approaches and biopsych)

But honestly, it doesn't matter what your third subject is for most unis as long as you get a good grade for bio and chem. There are so many students that ik tht did like english or media studies as their third and now their in dentistry or medicine.

But, what matters the MOST is whether you like the subject or not, if you dont like it you wont be motivated to listen in class or work on it yourself. I love chem so i do rly well in it as i willingly practice qs, bio on the other hand i find it such a task to the point i never revise it. So chose wisely
Reply 6
thank you for your advice. i ended up choosing bio chem religious studies.
thank you for your advice. i ended up choosing bio chem religious studies.

Goodluck!!

Quick Reply

Latest