The Student Room Group

Do GCSEs actually matter ?

Scroll to see replies

lmao yes they matter but teacher place too much empahsis on it, as long as you pass all your gcse with a grade 5 or higher your solid. its not the end of the world you dont get amazing grades however for some unis such as loughbourgh you need grades like 6 or 7 in maths and english for some courses
Reply 101
Wow, do GCSEs actually matter that much? Didn’t know that any university or employer would even look at them, let alone set minimum grade standards. And you need them in order to do A-levels? What!
In Ireland, the Junior Cert (rough equivalent) is literally useless. Doesn’t matter if you’re applying for Medecine or Law, Universities wouldn’t even know whether you sat the exam or not. Yeah, some schools use the results in order to decide whether you do HL or not in Maths, English and Irish, but even still, if you got a C or higher, you’d be perfectly fine, especially since schools aren’t even legally supposed to decide what level you’ll take in the end. I think it’s too devalued tbh, many people didn’t even bother sitting their last couple of exams, while others left after the half-hour limit (for 2.5 hour exams, mind you). And this was at a private school, 6k or so a year!
Yes and No.
Yes if you are applying to universities like Oxbridge as their stats tell them that performance in GCSE is a good indicator of future performance, so it may affect applicants to Oxbridge.
No if you show an rising trend of academic improvement in post-GCSE studies indicating that your future academic performance is likely to be much higher.
I got 8 ‘A’s and 2 ‘B’s in my GCSE, with a an A in maths and English.

See how that looks good on a cv. Basically if you have a strong academic record going back to year 10, then it looks very good. I never actually did do A levels. And my GCSE’s have certainly got me places. Such as jobs and entrance to study a uni degree with a foundation year, while I didn’t meet the entry requirements because I have no full A levels.

If you mess up your a levels, but have good GCSEs they certainly do matter.

But if you get good a levels after. They are less relevant, but uni’s and employers still look for a strong record of academic performance.
Original post by harrysbar
That may be the case for your college but it certainly isn't the case for most colleges or school sixth forms. Most do require good GCSE passes in about 5 subjects, and some are a lot fussier than that

5 subjects! My own experience is that colleges are generally only interested in English language and mathematics as well as science for any science and technology courses, foreign languages for foreign language courses, and English literature for A Level English. For arts subjects most college are happy to accept a portfolio from the applicant. ICT counts for nothing. Ditto for food tech and RS. You don't even need history or geography at GCSE to take these subjects to A Level.

Colleges might be fussier with schooled applicants as they assume that they have been given the opportunities to take GCSEs but if home educated applicants contact the college about 18 months before they are due to start A Levels then they are often happy to admit them with a more limited number of GCSEs, or even none at all.

As the situation has changed in recent years where GCSEs are now all exam with no coursework then the home education community increasingly recommends that students take English language, mathematics, and one other subject of interest (if they can find an exam centre) as it will make application to further education easier.
Well they're the last benchmark you'll have if wanting to do A levels. When applying for university, some courses require minimum grades in certain subjects. There's a lot of competition out there for courses, so surely if you've got 10 similar applicants but a couple with better GCSE grades that's going to give them a better chance. Also, my father has worked for a major employer who offer apprenticeships and take graduates and he reckons GCSE grades are always looked at and taken into consideration.
imo yes, especially if you’re not taking AS then they’re the only actual grades you’ve got for your UCAS. it’s worth trying for since even if you meet the requirements for a uni course, good GCSEs can help you stand out as a good applicant and sometimes you’ll get your offers earlier as a result
Original post by Shaunabmth
Hiya, I left school at 16 with average GCSE’s & I’m currently doing an access course and I go to university this year (I’m 19) I would honestly say don’t worry! It’s not the end of the world if you don’t pass, so many alternative qualifications out there which to me were more helpful. However I would really recommend trying to get 5 especially maths and English as many employers look for that. Also with maths and English it gives you an opportunity to explore different paths I.e a-levels, college or an apprenticeship. Don’t panic!!!😬x x

I agree
Original post by taher4946
lmao yes they matter but teacher place too much empahsis on it, as long as you pass all your gcse with a grade 5 or higher your solid. its not the end of the world you dont get amazing grades however for some unis such as loughbourgh you need grades like 6 or 7 in maths and english for some courses

yeah this is true. all ive ever needed at GCSE level was 5 C grades and a B in maths. thats it anything above was just a bonus. wish i knew it back then i would have dicked around more, took everything less seriously
Original post by Zoqua
I'm in Year 11(haven't finished GCSE's yet), so I can't give you the best opinion out there, but from all the research I have done regarding where you go after GCSE's(I have done a lot), GCSE's seem to be extremely important.

GCSE's on there own are not really that important, but it's where GCSE's get you(which A levels, apprenticeships, IB courses or other), that really matters. The GCSE's don't decide where your going in life entirely, but they decide the thing's you do which will decide where your going in life, if you get what I mean. Universities also look at GCSE's(although they care more about A-levels), which also makes them important.

I stressed myself out a lot in Year 10, did a lot of revision, and it got me quite a good set of mock grades, and I know many people who did the same, so I wouldn't exactly say that stressing in Year 10 about GCSE's is a bad idea, but still, you have still have a year, so don't get so stressed about them that you can't think about anything else at all. Well, that's my opinion. Good luck, hope this was useful :smile:

This is very useful especially from And opinion from a year 11
Original post by Doonesbury
OP isn't homeschooled. They are doing GCSEs, they just don't want to stress too much about them - which is perfectly sensible.

@Gabbyyyxxx how do you think you're doing in your various subjects at the moment?

To be honest review I think I am not doing as great as I thought I was because I think French is really a huge struggle I also think art is a bit hard history and religious education maths I’m fine with English not sure
Original post by nulli tertius
Its called "age and stage".

GCSEs are important to your immediate future. How well you do in them will have an important effect on what your choices are at age 16. They will have some effect on what you can do at 18. English and maths GCSE may have an impact on getting your first job. When you are 30, you probably won't be able to list all your subjects and their grades. They are then that unimportant.

Thank you for your opinion I am considering doing well LOL so I hope that I get good grades so I can show off to my employers
I was definitely say so, however I'm not too familiar with the education system in England. I would say it's vital to have basic english + maths GCSE's, I can imagine most employers require these.
Thank you so much for your opinion this was very useful to me I am not really sure what to do in A-level BTEC but I am sure your GCSEs can take me a long way from six form to university from the working
Thank you so much for your opinion say if get Cs and Bs is that ok ??
Original post by Gabbyyyxxx
Thank you so much for your opinion say if get Cs and Bs is that ok ??

It depends. Some sixth form colleges may ask for B/6 in a GCSE if you plan to study it at A-level. And some may ask for higher grades.

What are the A-level / BTEC requirements for sixth form at your school or any others you are considering?
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes it shapes your future to an extent
It depends. Some sixth form colleges may ask for B/6 in a GCSE if you plan to study it at A-level. And some may ask for higher grades.

What are the A-level / BTEC requirements for sixth form at your school or any others you are considering?

Oh my school does not have a six form but there is a six form in my town But I don’t know the actual requirements
Original post by Gabbyyyxxx
Oh my school does not have a six form but there is a six form in my town But I don’t know the actual requirements

Maybe have a look for them.
Maybe have a look for them.

Okay thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending