The Student Room Group

How can I stop being a "beta" male.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vinny C
Laserdisc. Like I said... a mine of useless info.

That’s it!
Original post by A-LevelStudent17
That’s it!

Anytime... any more?
Original post by Vinny C
Anytime... any more?

That’s all for now thanks
if you don't think you are one then you are not

people are probably just saying it to piss you off
Original post by A-LevelStudent17
That’s all for now thanks

Yw...
Original post by goggleyed
if you don't think you are one then you are not

people are probably just saying it to piss you off

OK.
Original post by Max1989
Ah thanks! I only do it as a hobby rather than seeking to do it professionally, I'm only Grade 6 ISTD but I do wish to continue doing it up to as far as I can through Uni (not as a Uni course mind you), it is very fun and improves my strength considerably, it's a shame though as my flexibility has gone to shambles as I had growth spurts but I'm slowly getting to a suitable level. But I would of done it professionally in another life :h:.

Hey Max

Markova21 is right , ballet is fabulous ...

I took up ballet a few years ago in my 30s and have become a complete balletomane , i'd agree that ballet is a fabulous form of physical exercise...

there are ways and means to dip into thatother life , whether through the amateur companies or through some of the retreats ...
Reply 67
Original post by Terry McCann.
I have been told that I am a soft, effeminate, gay, boring beta male. What can I do to stop this?

Honestly it comes down to what you want out of not being "beta". Beta implies so many vague ideas; if being the description you gave, "soft, effeminate, gay, boring" are things you actually have problems with, then work on them individually.
"soft, effeminate, gay" are all pretty easy things to change about yourself, or at least pretend you've changed about yourself. Exercise, act tough, whatever, it's all pretty basic and silly, not the kind of thing people genuinely care about.

"Boring" is probably the most important of those traits imo, and I reckon most people could benefit by finding more interests. Try out a variety of different things, especially things you're uncomfortable with; there are hundreds of thousands of guides on how to do any number of things (it sounds really silly, but honestly check etsy, reddit, pinterest, they can give you some unique ideas). Learn some things, stick with a new hobby for a few days, if you don't like it try something else out. Worst case scenario, you're interesting because you've experienced more things than most people you know have. Best case, you find something you enjoy.
tl;dr: an interesting person is a person who does interesting things and is proud to show that in front of other people. Find/embrace your interests and proudly show them off, not matter what other people think.

And a little besides the point, but the way you've phrased this makes it sound as though you personally don't have a problem with being how you are. In that case, who cares about other peoples' opinions of you? If you're surrounded by traditional "alpha" people, (say: extroverted, loud, like to have fun with friends and get drunk at parties, etc.) then you'll probably get the impression that certain traits or interests are weird or bad, when in reality you're just around people who have pretty limited interests themselves. I'd recommend finding what interests you and embracing it; accept your own interests and you'll come across like-minded people with enough time and effort.

Anyway, good luck with it all! (I hope my tired 1am ramblings had some clarity in them).

Quick Reply

Latest