The Student Room Group

How to get a grade 9 in gcse history

What are revision techniques to guarantee a 9?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi, you could make flashcards. Flashcards really help. You could do practice exam questions and mind maps. 1 app that would help you is Quizlet. You could also use the student room revision website getrevising.com. I hope this helps you. Good Luck for your future exams! :smile:
Original post by Shivam.Chhaya
Hi, you could make flashcards. Flashcards really help. You could do practice exam questions and mind maps. 1 app that would help you is Quizlet. You could also use the student room revision website getrevising.com. I hope this helps you. Good Luck for your future exams! :smile:

Yeah i’ve already made most of my flashcards and am in the middle of making quizlet sets!
If you find it really stressful to practice full on essays. My revision technique is to collect a bunch of 16 markers or 12 marker questions ( btw i don't know what exam board you are doing but 16 markers and 12 markers are basically the long essay questions you get ) and for each one, write the question and note down the factors/points for answering that question as well as noting down short phrases under the different points that is associated with the point you are making.

For example this is how I would write down notes for History:

'Explain why people were afraid of witches in the 16th century' (12 marks ) - this is from the crime and punishment topic in History

Point 1: Religion
- people believed women were more likely to commit devilish works
- Adam and Eve refrence

Point 2: Governments
- Tudors/Stuart monarchs were concerned that witches could use their 'power' to plot against them
- James I wrote Demonologie book

Point 3: Civil war
- Communities did not trust each other
- More people fighting meaning it's easier for witches to practice in secret causing a concern towards them.

Thats basically it and I repeat the same way with other possible questions that could come up in the exam. But, it doesn't have to be as long as the one I showed you, you can shorten it with phrases, as long as you know the factors that are associated with the questions really well, you are good to go. Make sure you structure your answer properly in the exam and write down detailed facts and explain your points with the factors you have. Also make sure you know how to write a conclusion to which matters most ( depends on the question because some questions doesn't require you to do a conclusion ).
Mind maps are also useful. Flashcards I would say is useful for remembering facts and statistics.

Remember, In history you have to sustain your arguments as well through constantly mentioning which matters most and link your points to different things to show you know the topic really well. Making a timeline is really useful to revise key dates and events.

Hopes this helps, I'm doing History Edexcel btw.
Original post by Shivam.Chhaya

Yeah, I have started doing this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending