The Student Room Group

Doing a PGCE in Further Education but I now want to work in a secondary school

I am currently doing a PGCE in Further Education but halfway through the course I changed my mind and decided I wanted to work in secondary now. I am close to finishing the PGCE so didn’t see the point in quitting this PGCE. The problem is that a lot of schools want you to have QTS and my PGCE doesn’t give me QTS. So, schools keep rejecting me because of my lack of QTS.

I want to do the QTS assessment only routes but the problem with that is that you need to have been working in a school for three years to do it.

Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Homo Fuge
I am currently doing a PGCE in Further Education but halfway through the course I changed my mind and decided I wanted to work in secondary now. I am close to finishing the PGCE so didn’t see the point in quitting this PGCE. The problem is that a lot of schools want you to have QTS and my PGCE doesn’t give me QTS. So, schools keep rejecting me because of my lack of QTS.

I want to do the QTS assessment only routes but the problem with that is that you need to have been working in a school for three years to do it.

Does anyone have any advice?
If you're looking at the assessment only route then it's primarily for people who've already been teaching for a bit (somehow) without QTS. I don't know where you've got your 3 year figure from but it's not a fixed rule.

Bedfordshire specifies two years
https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/departments/teacher-education/courses/ao

TES keeps it vague
https://www.tes.com/institute/assessment-only-route-qts

My advice would be to talk to the university you're doing your PGCE with and see if it's too late for them to switch you onto a different PGCE with QTS involved. It might be an awful lot of work on your part to catch up but it could be do-able. Worth asking. If not then you may need to complete an additional teacher training course, this time with QTS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending