The Student Room Group

What options should I take if I want to become an Aerospace Engineer?

I'm in Year 8 and I love planes, cars, vehicles in general. I really wanna become an Aerospace Engineer and don't know what options to take. Help anyone?
Maths and physics
If your school has an engineering g.c.s.e (i know 1 school locally does and the other ones doesnt) then thats worth doing. But i would do physics and maths, plus something like graphics to help if you was to design parts in needed for engineering.
Reply 3
thanks
Reply 4
Do I need anything else apart from maths, physics?
Reply 5
Chemistry
Original post by s2LooseYIG

A good spread of GCSEs - graphics might be useful. I note you mention cars - some universities offer Automotive or Motorsport Engineering.
Reply 7
(i want to do aerospace engineering MEng with imperial when i go to uni)
Your GCSE subject choices aren't that important. Your A-levels choices however, would be. A-level Physics and Maths would be essential, and Further Maths or Chemistry might be useful (or even preferred, for some universities). Thus, if you have the option, taking more maths/science options at GCSE may be worthwhile; however you aren't going to be accepted or rejected based on GCSE subject choices (it's unlikely you'd be accepted or rejected even on the basis of GCSE grades alone).
I'm in Year 8 and I love planes, cars, vehicles in general. I really wanna become an Aerospace Engineer and don't know what options to take. Help anyone?

well it depends what you mean by 'engineer' do u want a hands-on role, technical role, strategy, design etc.
If u dont know i recommend working backwards ie Masters @ University, A levels (math, further math, physics, chemistry are recommended), GCSE go as academic as possible (as much maths & science as possible, maths being the most important) + tbh DT is actually probably worthwhile whilst obviously it's not the same as industrial manufacturing it will give u an appreciation of metallic/composite manufacturing
In GCSE's if maths, English and triple science are compulsory for you (if triple science is not compulsory then chose it as an option as you will need it to choose Physics for A levels, or else it will be extremely hard. Make sure you do higher for everything and not foundation if you are capable), then your options should be engineering, and any other (maybe graphics). The thing is what you chose at GCSE's don't really help with anything, but it will obviously help if you chose to do engineer again at A Levels.

A Levels you should choose maths and physics. Then any other 2 subjects. (so 4 subjects in total for AS) Then drop a subject at A level as there isn't a big advantage in having 4. Except for some universities such as imperial, the one you want to go to requires A*A*A or if you have 4 then it drops to A*AAA. But you have a lot of time to think about it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by malcolmmarecki
well it depends what you mean by 'engineer' do u want a hands-on role, technical role, strategy, design etc.
If u dont know i recommend working backwards ie Masters @ University, A levels (math, further math, physics, chemistry are recommended), GCSE go as academic as possible (as much maths & science as possible, maths being the most important) + tbh DT is actually probably worthwhile whilst obviously it's not the same as industrial manufacturing it will give u an appreciation of metallic/composite manufacturing

firstly thanks, and secondly on emirates' website it says aircraft technician which says hand-on, technical, doing admin etc so yh. (thats my dream job. if you wanna see then go to www.emiratesgroupcareers.com and where it says "search and apply" type 1900007K in the job number thing) i wanna do Masters of Aeronautical engineering at imperial but what does aeronautical mean? im getting grade 4+ in maths so thats ok i guess. chemistry physics and biology are all 4 and physics i think its 4+ or 5
Reply 12
Original post by kurro
In GCSE's if maths, English and triple science are compulsory for you (if triple science is not compulsory then chose it as an option as you will need it to choose Physics for A levels, or else it will be extremely hard. Make sure you do higher for everything and not foundation if you are capable), then your options should be engineering, and any other (maybe graphics). The thing is what you chose at GCSE's don't really help with anything, but it will obviously help if you chose to do engineer again at A Levels.

A Levels you should choose maths and physics. Then any other 2 subjects. (so 4 subjects in total for AS) Then drop a subject at A level as there isn't a big advantage in having 4. Except for some universities such as imperial, the one you want to go to requires A*A*A or if you have 4 then it drops to A*AAA. But you have a lot of time to think about it :smile:

we have to do dual science and separate science is an option but idk what separate science means (will it just be like triple science?)
My school does this thing where for maths and the sciences and english we cover the gcse content from year 7 so maybe take that into account. what do you do in graphics?
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
Your GCSE subject choices aren't that important. Your A-levels choices however, would be. A-level Physics and Maths would be essential, and Further Maths or Chemistry might be useful (or even preferred, for some universities). Thus, if you have the option, taking more maths/science options at GCSE may be worthwhile; however you aren't going to be accepted or rejected based on GCSE subject choices (it's unlikely you'd be accepted or rejected even on the basis of GCSE grades alone).

kthnx
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
A good spread of GCSEs - graphics might be useful. I note you mention cars - some universities offer Automotive or Motorsport Engineering.

(im looking for MEng in aeronautical eng, imperial preferrably
Reply 15

Further maths at A-level might be helpful.
we have to do dual science and separate science is an option but idk what separate science means (will it just be like triple science?)
My school does this thing where for maths and the sciences and english we cover the gcse content from year 7 so maybe take that into account. what do you do in graphics?

Yeah, I have no idea because they keep changing the process, and it is different for schools in different area's.

So you guys still have higher and foundation, right? If you were in the top set for maths in my school that meant you would sit the higher paper. That means I can get grades ranging from E to A* (then after E is failing). Then there is a foundation where you can only get grades from E to C.
Obvisouleyif you are capable of achieving A*'s then you should do higher for all subjects.

Now for sciences is the same, for my school triple science meant that I would have 3 separate grades for physics, chemistry, and biology and if I were in higher I would again have a wider range, but it would be harder than foundation. There is also a foundation option for triple science.
If I were to have chosen double science I would only get 1 grade for science overall and the max grade I can get is a C.

I chose higher for sciences and maths as I obviously wanted to get the highest grade attainable. But also my sixth form required a B for a GCSE subject that I wanted to carry on with A levels. (e.g I had to get a B in maths to continue it for A level, same with sciences, R.E, and all other subjects.)

You will have to check and ask your teachers if this is the same for you. As it might be completely different.

I am not sure about graphics, I never took it. It was just a random suggestion :smile:
(im looking for MEng in aeronautical eng, imperial preferrably

Imperial? I'd look at others tbh if you want to work in industry as an Engineer. I mentioned graphics because there is a lot of design in Engineering. Do triple science if you can.
firstly thanks, and secondly on emirates' website it says aircraft technician which says hand-on, technical, doing admin etc so yh. (thats my dream job. if you wanna see then go to www.emiratesgroupcareers.com and where it says "search and apply" type 1900007K in the job number thing) i wanna do Masters of Aeronautical engineering at imperial but what does aeronautical mean? im getting grade 4+ in maths so thats ok i guess. chemistry physics and biology are all 4 and physics i think its 4+ or 5

An aircraft technician is a bit different from an engineer, most 'technician requirements' need an apprenticeship not a degree.

Aeronautical engineering degree focuses a lot on fluid mechanics (study how fluids move), thermodynamics (how heat moves), avionics, quite a bit of electrical, mechanics, design.

Grade wise Imperial is very high caliber i did the old GCSE system but the equivalent of A*'s/A's needed at GCSE & A Level

Imperial is an excellent Uni but u shouldnt be looking at specific Unis yet there are more great engineering Uni's and this is something to look at once your in yr12. Just focus on getting top grades and maybe a couple weeks work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest