The Student Room Group

will less EU students go to the uk after brexit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DrElleWoods
I highly doubt EU student will come to the UK after Brexit if the fees are much higher. In Germany students can study for free and do exchange courses in the US. Why would the come to the UK to and pay up to £38K a year for a course? I think EU students will be drastically decreasing if this is the case

They don't get maintenance loans in the UK already, so those that come are usually fairly well off anyway. Yes there will be a drop but many continental Europeans will still want a UK university experience.

I actually think the biggest impact will be on staff. About 16% of academics are European, losing them or a large proportion, will be a major problem.
(edited 4 years ago)
yes that is true EU students don't get UK student loans and it is hard to obtain them in their home country as Universities are either for free or much cheaper. I think there is a big difference though if you have to pay £9K a year to double/triple for fees. Even the "well off" ones will evaluate if it still makes sense. The UK is also much more expensive on living expenses than any other country.

Why do you think the staff would leave though?
Original post by Doones
They don't get maintenance loans in the UK already, so those that come are usually fairly well off anyway. Yes there will be a drop but many continental Europeans will still want a UK university experience.

I actually think the biggest impact will be on staff. About 16% of academics are European, losing them or a large proportion, will be a major problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending