The Student Room Group

Left school 6 years ago and I haven’t got all my Certificates

Basically, I left school 6 years ago and thought I had every certificate in my record of achievement. I’ve double check the other day and realised I haven’t got my English certificate (for my grade C) as well as a few others.
I have contacted my old school but doubt they still have them.

Do universities usually request to see GCSE certificates? I have an official result transcript with all my GCSE grades that I used to get into college with and I’m hoping my the university won’t ask to see them because I’m not repeating grades I already achieved at GCSE.
You can get duplicates from the exam board for a fee

https://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/past-results-and-lost-certificates
Original post by Apachecow
You can get duplicates from the exam board for a fee

https://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/past-results-and-lost-certificates

Thanks very much ☺️, although I have another question, my English and maths GCSEs were done with Excedel, so am I not better off getting a replacement certificate from them? Or do AQA have Access to those as well?
Ask your school's exam office to email the results to you, like I did.
Original post by Qup
Ask your school's exam office to email the results to you, like I did.

I have my results transcript, just not official certificates for some of my GCSE’s. So I can see exactly what GCSE I took with which exam board.
Reply 5
Original post by Musicgirl97
Thanks very much ☺️, although I have another question, my English and maths GCSEs were done with Excedel, so am I not better off getting a replacement certificate from them? Or do AQA have Access to those as well?

look it up on excedel's website,that was just an example. Of course AQA won't have your results.
Universities will usually need to see certificates for mature applicants
Thankfully my school have kept my certificates all these years and I’m going to pick them up sometime next week.
Only thing is now I’ve noticed that I’ve lost one of my college GCSE resit certificates it was for a Grade E (which is why I’m now taking Fuctional skills maths) anyways. Once I have my Fuctional skills I’m planning to do what my friend did and just enter my Fuctional skills level 1 and 2 into UCAS, and not my failed resits from college, as she didn’t enter any of hers. She also didn’t have to show her GCSE certificates to anyone. But I know they are needed if you have to attend any interview to get into university.

So my question is Would it be fine for me to enter my highest graded GCSE maths grade from school which was a grade D? and then enter all my other GCSE subjects as normal. Instead of having to enter every single maths GCSE I failed. As I’m not entering my college resits either because like I explained I will make sure by the time I apply I have my level 2 in Fuctional maths. So it shouldn’t matter too much.
I have my results transcript, just not official certificates for some of my GCSE’s. So I can see exactly what GCSE I took with which exam board.

Your school will still have the certificates - we have some which are over 40 years old!
Thankfully my school have kept my certificates all these years and I’m going to pick them up sometime next week.
Only thing is now I’ve noticed that I’ve lost one of my college GCSE resit certificates it was for a Grade E (which is why I’m now taking Fuctional skills maths) anyways. Once I have my Fuctional skills I’m planning to do what my friend did and just enter my Fuctional skills level 1 and 2 into UCAS, and not my failed resits from college, as she didn’t enter any of hers. She also didn’t have to show her GCSE certificates to anyone. But I know they are needed if you have to attend any interview to get into university.

So my question is Would it be fine for me to enter my highest graded GCSE maths grade from school which was a grade D? and then enter all my other GCSE subjects as normal. Instead of having to enter every single maths GCSE I failed. As I’m not entering my college resits either because like I explained I will make sure by the time I apply I have my level 2 in Fuctional maths. So it shouldn’t matter too much.

You must list every exam and result on UCAS.
The thing is though with the certificate I lost from my 2016 resit I don’t have any evidence that I ever did it (not even a transcript) even though I remember doing it.
Is it possible that I could list my 2015 GCSE resit and leave the 2016 one out, as I can’t proof that ever did it anyways (I don’t have a certificate or transcript) and I’m personally not willing to pay £43 for a replacement certificate; all to find out one result. Obvioudly now my school have found my GCSE certificates I don’t need to send in for a replacement. I mean it’s possible that I could just enter the 2016 resit off the top of my head because I remember clear as day receiving a grade E like my 2015 result. But again, if they asked to see proof of that grade, I could only give them proof of the 2015 resit.

Again my friend never entered her resits and she’s never been found out or punished for it.

Original post by Muttley79
You must list every exam and result on UCAS.
The thing is though with the certificate I lost from my 2016 resit I don’t have any evidence that I ever did it (not even a transcript) even though I remember doing it.
Is it possible that I could list my 2015 GCSE resit and leave the 2016 one out, as I can’t proof that ever did it anyways (I don’t have a certificate or transcript) and I’m personally not willing to pay £43 for a replacement certificate; all to find out one result. Obvioudly now my school have found my GCSE certificates I don’t need to send in for a replacement. I mean it’s possible that I could just enter the 2016 resit off the top of my head because I remember clear as day receiving a grade E like my 2015 result. But again, if they asked to see proof of that grade, I could only give them proof of the 2015 resit.

Again my friend never entered her resits and she’s never been found out or punished for it.

She hasn't been found out ... yet ....

No, UCAS is very clear - your application could be considered fraudulent if you miss out results.
She hasn't been found out ... yet ....

No, UCAS is very clear - your application could be considered fraudulent if you miss out results.

I’m just worried that I won’t be considered as I have failed my maths GCSE a total of 4 times and I know it won’t matter in ways, because by the time I apply I hope to have my Fuctional maths level 2. I can gain enterance with my chosen unis with it. But I still think they will look at my failed grades, even beside my 7 other A*-C graded GCSE’s, Distinction graded level 3 Diplomas and think I’m unsuitable. Even though I have been deemed a high achiever all my life (by lecturers and teachers), just of course not in maths it seems 😂.

That’s what I worry about most and I think it’s my anxiety telling me that in my own mind. As the saying goes ‘I am mine own worst enemy’, but yes I cannot in any way send a fraudulent UCAS and wouldn’t ever! I just wanted to know if there was ways around it. But now that I know how important it is to show all grades, I’ll make sure I show all my maths failings for sure.

Thank you for your advice ☺️.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m just worried that I won’t be considered as I have failed my maths GCSE a total of 4 times and I know it won’t matter in ways, because by the time I apply I hope to have my Fuctional maths level 2. I can gain enterance with my chosen unis with it. But I still think they will look at my failed grades, even beside my 7 other A*-C graded GCSE’s, Distinction graded level 3 Diplomas and think I’m unsuitable. Even though I have been deemed a high achiever all my life (by lecturers and teachers), just of course not in maths it seems 😂.

That’s what I worry about most and I think it’s my anxiety telling me that in my own mind. As the saying goes ‘I am mine own worst enemy’, but yes I cannot in any way send a fraudulent UCAS and wouldn’t ever! I just wanted to know if there was ways around it. But now that I know how important it is to show all grades, I’ll make sure I show all my maths failings for sure.

Thank you for your advice ☺️.

Just because you have struggled with maths it does not mean you aren't intelligent and worth a place at uni :smile:

Have you ever been tested for dyscalculia?
Thank you, your support means a lot :smile:. And no I haven’t ever been tested, I don’t know much about that condition. What are the symptoms and what does it entail?

P.S also, I’ve found a certificate under one of my GCSE maths certificates and it’s titled as a ‘Edexcel certificate’ for adult numeracy at level 1 and it was awarded to me July 2012, however it isn’t listed on my results transcript so I was wondering is it an official certificate or is it a secoundary part of one of my GCSE certificates :/. It isn’t listed on my transcript at all.

Just because you have struggled with maths it does not mean you aren't intelligent and worth a place at uni :smile:

Have you ever been tested for dyscalculia?
Thank you, your support means a lot :smile:. And no I haven’t ever been tested, I don’t know much about that condition. What are the symptoms and what does it entail?

P.S also, I’ve found a certificate under one of my GCSE maths certificates and it’s titled as a ‘Edexcel certificate’ for adult numeracy at level 1 and it was awarded to me July 2012, however it isn’t listed on my results transcript so I was wondering is it an official certificate or is it a secoundary part of one of my GCSE certificates :/. It isn’t listed on my transcript at all.

If it has the official Edexxel logo it is probably an additional qualification you took - can you check with school?

Some info about dyscalculia here:

https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexic/maths-difficulties-dyscalculia
Yes it has the official logo so I’m guessing it must be a separate qualification.
I’ve read through that link and I certainly identify with not being able to long division, however; with working in retail for the past year, my mental maths is much stronger and I have no trouble counting backwards. Maybe, I have tendencies of that condition. However I do get anxiety over maths a lot of the time. But I am an anxious person and a ‘worrier’ if you couldn’t already tell 😂. Thanks for the information btw it’s much appreciated
If it has the official Edexxel logo it is probably an additional qualification you took - can you check with school?

Some info about dyscalculia here:

https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexic/maths-difficulties-dyscalculia

Quick Reply

Latest