The Student Room Group

Cannot Revise

I keep on being told that the best way to get started revising is with a revision timetable, and I've made a million and I just never look at them after I've made them, and A-levels are so close and I do essentially no work outside of school

help!!
Original post by Cedgy_
I keep on being told that the best way to get started revising is with a revision timetable, and I've made a million and I just never look at them after I've made them, and A-levels are so close and I do essentially no work outside of school

help!!

Hi Cedgy_)

I had a similar issue when I was doing my A-Levels. When I started University I was told to Study SMART Not Long. It is much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART. These tips helped me graduate with the highest honours in both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.

M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.

A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.

R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.

T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope these tips help you as much as they helped me.

Dom :bhangra:
Original post by Cedgy_

help!!

Why is this so me tho omg, can't even finish an essay I'm doing rn and on here to procrastinate😅

Perhaps it's best to find a place where you can revise and you feel motivated to do so, whether that's a library or a cafe. There's study apps where u set a timer and u can't access any other apps until it finishes. Instead of creating a revision timetable perhaps write down ur goals first and what u want to achieve, first little goals, like finishing homework etc and think about how it'll benefit u in the long run, e.g. 1 hour of revision of biology a day that'll help me get an A. Push yourself now so u can relax in the summer. Also it's important to have a morning routine so it can energise u through the day and ur mind is clear enough to revise.

But tbf despite all this I'm still lazy af lmao.
Reply 3
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi Cedgy_)

I had a similar issue when I was doing my A-Levels. When I started University I was told to Study SMART Not Long. It is much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART. These tips helped me graduate with the highest honours in both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.

M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.

A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.

R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.

T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope these tips help you as much as they helped me.

Dom :bhangra:

Thanks for this, but I think my main problem is instant gratification, and that disrupts the reward part. My brain works like why should I study to watch an episode of a show when I can just watch the show whenever I want. I'm really bad with self discipline, but if I could do that then this could probably work.
Unfortunately, there's little anyone can do to help if you're just not motivated to do the work. You said you make timetables but then never look at them. The only thing I or anyone else can tell you is that you need to look at them, and you need to revise, but you know that already.

Who do you live with? Assuming it's your parents, give them a copy of your timetable and ask them to make sure you're doing what you said you would, when you said you would. That would help to give you a little push I'm sure.

It isn't too late to still get a lot done, however I wouldn't want to leave it any later. If you start today you can still achieve good grades.

Don't let two years of your life go to waste just because of self-discipline, you'll honestly kick yourself in years to come.
Original post by Cedgy_
Thanks for this, but I think my main problem is instant gratification, and that disrupts the reward part. My brain works like why should I study to watch an episode of a show when I can just watch the show whenever I want. I'm really bad with self discipline, but if I could do that then this could probably work.

You are welcome Cedgy_)

The thing with self-discipline and revision is that you need to find what works best for you. For example, if I revise in a quiet place I always get bored and put pressure on myself to do more work. Thus, that type of revision was not good for me. While at university, I would always do my revision in the busy parts of the library because I did my best work there. Figure out what works best for you and roll with it.

Dom :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest